1. Joined
    17 Jul '06
    Moves
    31 Jul '14 07:26
    Originally posted by vivify
    Anyone ever listen to him here? In my opinion, he was one of the greatest lyricists of all time. I mean even better than Bob Dylan.
    Yep, here. I find him brilliant, highly intelligent, his songs very deep.... mantra-like.
  2. Standard memberredbadger
    Suzzie says Badger
    is Racist Bastard
    Moves
    31 Jul '14 08:30
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    well, Like a rolling stone was voted the best rock song of all time, at least so far🙂 Of course rock is following the path of folk music in the 60's so maybe of all times is correct. Like saying the sony walkman CD player was the best of all time since they don't make them any more and so it had it's day and maybe was the best of the bunch so it is safe so ...[text shortened]... till you know that too many people have died'. You don't find content like that in modern songs.
    masters of war total class
  3. Joined
    14 Mar '04
    Moves
    31 Jul '14 11:53
    Originally posted by Flower04
    Yep, here. I find him brilliant, highly intelligent, his songs very deep.... mantra-like.
    Then there's Leonard Cohen.
  4. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    31 Jul '14 12:30
    Originally posted by Great Big Stees
    Definitely first class. Other really great songwriters you never heard of: John Mccutcheon. His song 83 corvette was a classic but that was just one among hundreds of others.

There there is Joni Mitchell, world class for sure.
  5. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    01 Aug '14 00:32
    MUCH better. Glad someone here has some class.
  6. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    01 Aug '14 00:501 edit
    And - for me - the likes of Robert Hunter, Elvis Costello, Tom Waits, Steve Kilbey. David Bowie had an idiosyncratic way of coming up with very interesting lyrics. I'm not sure the fame of a lyricist can easily override our personal tastes and needs. Chris Martin's lyrics have touched the hearts of hundreds of millions of people all around the world through the music of Coldplay but they strike me ~ personally ~ as being utterly abysmal and vacuous. If he has provided countless people with the words to the soundtracks of their lives [at various times in the past], then perhaps not only is lyricism in the ear of the beholder, but maybe people get the lyrics they deserve too.
  7. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    01 Aug '14 01:09
    Originally posted by FMF
    And - for me - the likes of Robert Hunter, Elvis Costello, Tom Waits, Steve Kilbey. David Bowie had an idiosyncratic way of coming up with very interesting lyrics. I'm not sure the fame of a lyricist can easily override our personal tastes and needs. Chris Martin's lyrics have touched the hearts of hundreds of millions of people all around the world through the ...[text shortened]... t only is lyricism in the ear of the beholder, but maybe people get the lyrics they deserve too.
    We agree on this to a large degree.
    When I first heard Parachutes, I figured I'd found that one band that would go largely unnoticed, that band which would be allowed to mature/ferment and produce the type of heft only anonymity and toil can procure for a soul.
    Sadly, they fell victim to their victory.
    There they sit, starving to death on the shore, fondly gazing at their own reflection in the water.
  8. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    01 Aug '14 01:14
    Preach it, brother.
    Saw that old fart here in Cleveland--- five years ago, when he was 74--- and he tore the place up.
    Didn't sing a note.
  9. Joined
    14 Mar '04
    Moves
    01 Aug '14 13:58
    Originally posted by FreakyKBH
    Preach it, brother.
    Saw that old fart here in Cleveland--- five years ago, when he was 74--- and he tore the place up.
    Didn't sing a note.
    Way back, before his musical career happened, I remember being in Old Montreal (I grew up in Montreal) and seeing him read some of his poetry. He sure had/has a way with words. Although I never really "got into" poetry I sure liked his and consequently his music.
  10. Standard memberredbadger
    Suzzie says Badger
    is Racist Bastard
    Moves
    01 Aug '14 18:10
    Way back, before his musical career happened, I remember being in Old Montreal (I grew up in Montreal) and seeing him read some of his poetry. He sure had/has a way with words. Although I never really "got into" poetry I sure liked his and consequently his music.
    first we take manhattan is my favorite
  11. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    02 Aug '14 00:122 edits
    Originally posted by FMF
    If you quoted a few lines or stanzas as an example, it might help to see where you are coming from on this.
    There are some things to keep in mind. It's not only what is, but how Eminem says it; he's able to say express himself in very poetic ways. For example, in his Oscar-winning song lose yourself:

The soul's escaping, through this hole that is gaping
    This world is mine for the taking
    Make me king, as we move toward a new world order
    A normal life is boring, but superstardom's close to post mortem

There's not only the depth of his ideas, but the intricate, carefully woven rhyme scheme. A lot of people can rhyme words, and a lot of people can say something deep; but to do in so tight a fashion is very rare. Dillan doesn't have Rhyme schemes close to this. Also, check this out, from his track "Sing for the Moment":

These ideas are nightmares to white parents
    Whose worst fear is a child with dyed hair and who likes earrings
    Like whatever they say has no bearing, it's so scary in a house that allows no swearing
    To see him walking around with his headphones blaring
    Alone in his own zone, cold and he don't care
    He's a problem child
    What bothers him all comes out, when he talks about
    His ****** dad walkin' out

The picture he can paint while weaving in such a gorgeous is part of what makes him a great lyricist. Dillan was good, but in my opinion, wasn't able to remain interesting through an entire song like Eminem could. That's why even people who hate him can recite a line a two from him.
  12. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    02 Aug '14 00:19
    Originally posted by Great King Rat
    “Was”?

Is he dead?

He doesn’t seem like a very nice guy, but the song “Stan” is very good.
    I say "was", because right now, he's only a shadow of his former self, lyrically speaking. He's over 40 now and filthy rich, instead of the angry 20 year old hungry for success. He's much more watered-down now.
  13. Joined
    06 Dec '10
    Moves
    09 Aug '14 08:471 edit
    Originally posted by vivify
    There are some things to keep in mind. It's not only what is, but how Eminem says it; he's able to say express himself in very poetic ways. For example, in his Oscar-winning song lose yourself:

The soul's escaping, through this hole that is gaping
    This world is mine for the taking
    Make me king, as we move toward a new world order
    A normal life is bori ...[text shortened]... e song like Eminem could. That's why even people who hate him can recite a line a two from him.
    Bob Dylan's Simple Twist of Fate
    A beautiful tapestry of words that keeps me interestedly until the end even after 30 years.

They sat together in the park
    As the evening sky grew dark
    She looked at him and he felt a spark tingle to his bones
    It was then he felt alone and wished that he'd gone straight
    And watched out for a simple twist of fate.

They walked alone by the old canal
    A little confused I remember well
    And stopped into a strange hotel with a neon burning bright
    He felt the heat of the night hit him like a freight train
    Moving with a simple twist of fate.

A saxophone someplace far off played
    As she was walking on by the arcade
    As the light bust through a-beat-up shade where he was waking up
    She dropped a coin into the cup of a blind man at the gate
    And forgot about a simple twist of fate.

He woke up the room was bare
    He didn't see her anywhere
    He told himself he didn't care pushed the window open wide
    Felt an emptiness inside to which he just could not relate
    Brought on by a simple twist of fate.

He hears the ticking of the clocks
    And walks along with a parrot that talks
    Hunts her down by the waterfront docks where the sailers all come in
    Maybe she'll pick him out again how long must he wait
    One more time for a simple twist of fate.

People tell me it's a sin To know and feel too much within
    I still believe she was my twin but I lost the ring
    She was born in spring but I was born too late
    Blame it on a simple twist of fate.

M

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree