Eurovision Song Contest 2022

Eurovision Song Contest 2022

General

Gothenburg

Moves
15 May 22
2 edits

Last night Italy hosted the prestigious, traditional Eurovision Song Contest in Turin, and winner was Ukraine, United Kingdom came second, Spain third and Sweden number four. It was a well performed competition which I partly watched. 25 countries competing in the final, this is Sweden's contribution:

Moves
15 May 22
3 edits

I watched some of it out of a sort of morbid curiosity; it was a quite well presented as a show.

Of the songs I heard before falling asleep, I thought the UK’s song, performed by a guy who was some sort of staccato howling Viking, was by far the best of a collection of strangely outfitted prancing depressives whining about being victims (if I understood the terrible subtitles correctly) of some sort, in a litany of pseudo Sam Smith dirges.

I’m probably not in the target audience to be fair.

Spain deserved at least a trophy for the wonderful outfit worn by the outstandingly hot female singer … and her high kicks! Highlight of the show, at least for the hour I saw.

Congratulations to all involved and especially for Ukraine who managed to come first. No one saw that coming!

Über-Nerd

Moves
15 May 22

@Torunn

It was clear from the start that Ukraine would win it, irrespective of what song they presented. So, actually, the UK won it on talent and Ukraine got the consolation prize.

Gothenburg

Moves
15 May 22

@divegeester
Neither you, nor I are in the target audience so it's not my kind of music. Still there is so much ambition, talent, hard work and hopes - and money - involved in this event, I can't very well ignore it either. Ukraine was a favourite from the start. Perhaps we should leave our personal impressions aside, and just see it for what it is meant to be - a special occasion made possible by a lot of people accomplishing this together.

Moves
15 May 22

@moonbus said
@Torunn

It was clear from the start that Ukraine would win it, irrespective of what song they presented. So, actually, the UK won it on talent and Ukraine got the consolation prize.
The Spanish singer would have been my choice of consolation prize 🀩

Moves
15 May 22
1 edit

@torunn said
@divegeester
Perhaps we should leave our personal impressions aside, and just see it for what it is meant to be - a special occasion made possible by a lot of people accomplishing this together.
On the contrary I think we should air our personal impressions AND see if for what it is meant to be.

It is our personal impressions which validate the show and add a rich tapestry of commentary, without this what’s the point ?

Gothenburg

Moves
15 May 22

@divegeester said
On the contrary I think we should air our personal impressions AND see if for what it is meant to be.

It is our personal impressions which validate the show and add a rich tapestry of commentary, without this what’s the point ?
There are a lot of people who believe the contest is totally irrelevant and a waste of money, nothing else, whether they like the music or not. Their personal ideas I can do without.

Moves
15 May 22
1 edit

@torunn said
There are a lot of people who believe the contest is totally irrelevant and a waste of money, nothing else, whether they like the music or not. Their personal ideas I can do without.
So “a lot of people” should be silenced?

Gothenburg

Moves
15 May 22

@divegeester said
So “a lot of people” should be silenced?
How do you 'silence' people? πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚ With the point of view I suggested - a great number of skilled, talented, hopeful people joning up for this occasion deserve recognition.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
15 May 22

the whole thing is a joke.

Moves
15 May 22

@badradger said
the whole thing is a joke.
And “a god damn crock” perhaps?

Moves
15 May 22

@torunn said
How do you 'silence' people?
The simplest way I know of is to allow them to express their genuine opinion, and then not get upset when you read it.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
15 May 22

@divegeester said
And “a god damn crock” perhaps?
you are the one that believes in the supernatural.

Moves
15 May 22

@badradger said
you are the one that believes in the supernatural.
There is nothing supernatural about about the Eurovision Song Contest, although the Spanish singer was super in a very naturalistic sort of way.

F

Moves
15 May 22

I haven't watched it or seen it or been aware of it since 1991 aside from a disconcerting acid flashback of the 1982 contest which I experienced in 2002. To be honest, on this occasion only, I haven't liked it since about 1978.

What's more, I didn't think Israel should have been allowed to compete, whenever that was, but I shrunk back from being strident about it when I was accused of anti-semitism and my university came under pressure to revoke my doctorate after my Swiss finishing school had revoked my A Levels

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.