1. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    09 Aug '19 08:53
    @torunn said
    There are women everywhere, don't worry about it - we are not talking about an isolated island, are we? The question is though - do they need you? 🙂
    ZING!
  2. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    09 Aug '19 08:55
    @chaney3 said
    A google search of his name, and the name of the documentary will provide links. (I still don't know how to attach).

Also, PBS airs this documentary a lot, and it's one of their most watched programs.
    Just copy/paste the url address to the page where the documentary is held. It’s not rocket science.

I live in England btw, I assume PBS is a US based network.
  3. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    09 Aug '19 08:58
    @ashiitaka said
    It's a fantasy of mine to have a cabin somewhere in North America, with a lake and forest nearby.

For one-fifth of my life thus far, I lived in a remote part of Canada which matches the above description. At my tiny school, there weren't enough children to fill one class per grade, so two grades were blended into one class.

It was an uncomplicated, peaceful lifestyl ...[text shortened]... t is only 6 hours across the Atlantic.

Give it a go if you feel like it. You might be surprised.
    I like your dream. I’d love to try that. I permit too many other material guide-ropes to keep my tent firmly pitched here. I have a fair but of work on at the moment. However times change, circumstances change, so who knows.
  4. Account suspended
    Moves
    09 Aug '19 09:44
    @divegeester said
    Just copy/paste the url address to the page where the documentary is held. It’s not rocket science.

I live in England btw, I assume PBS is a US based network.
    I already provided you the man's name along with the title of the documentary.

Spend 10 seconds on a google search and you can choose which way you'd like to proceed.

Stop asking for a link....tough guys living off the grid don't mind a 10 second google search.
  5. Standard memberjohnsim03
    Chess Nut
    Des Moines, Iowa, US
    Moves
    09 Aug '19 09:57
    @divegeester said
    Interesting, do you have a link to that documentary please?
    Just search Dick Proenneke on YouTube. You'll find all the documentaries, in bits and pieces. Amazing!
  6. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    09 Aug '19 10:07
    @chaney3 said
    I already provided you the man's name along with the title of the documentary.Spend 10 seconds on a google search and you can choose which way you'd like to proceed.Stop asking for a link....tough guys living off the grid don't mind a 10 second google search.
    I’m trying to help you.
    Never mind then
  7. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    09 Aug '19 10:09
    @johnsim03 said
    Just search Dick Proenneke on YouTube. You'll find all the documentaries, in bits and pieces. Amazing!
    I can’t be bothered to trawl through this guys youtube channel looking for an unnamed piece chaney3 laziness.
  8. Account suspended
    Moves
    09 Aug '19 10:13
    @divegeester said
    I can’t be bothered to trawl through this guys youtube channel looking for an unnamed piece chaney3 laziness.
    You can't be bothered??

You're the lazy one!!!

This guy was freakin amazing, and you won't check it out?? Pity.
  9. Standard memberjohnsim03
    Chess Nut
    Des Moines, Iowa, US
    Moves
    09 Aug '19 10:14
    @chaney3 said
    You can't be bothered??

You're the lazy one!!!

This guy was freakin amazing, and you won't check it out?? Pity.
    Indeed. His loss.
  10. Standard memberjohnsim03
    Chess Nut
    Des Moines, Iowa, US
    Moves
    09 Aug '19 10:17
    @divegeester said
    We’ve probably all thought about it at one time or another, that secret life somewhere, randomly travelling, no social media, no bills, working for cash, paying your way.

Ever done it?

Want to?
    The modern off the grid movement involves nomads - usually van-dwellers. They stay for free on public lands (you can do this for 14 days at a time, usually). There are tens of thousands out there doing that, living in a minimalist way.

If you would take the time to search on YouTube for "Nomads" you would find dozens, if not hundreds, of videos of people actually doing this.
  11. Account suspended
    Moves
    09 Aug '19 10:21
    @johnsim03 said
    The modern off the grid movement involves nomads - usually van-dwellers. They stay for free on public lands (you can do this for 14 days at a time, usually). There are tens of thousands out there doing that, living in a minimalist way.

If you would take the time to search on YouTube for "Nomads" you would find dozens, if not hundreds, of videos of people actually doing this.
    Oooohhh, don't ask dive to google something!!!!

He wants to be Grizzly Adams, off the grid, but can't spare 10 seconds to google something.

I hope he can find room service and maids when he's "off the grid".

Lol
  12. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    09 Aug '19 10:31
    @johnsim03 said

Ok thanks.
  13. Standard memberjohnsim03
    Chess Nut
    Des Moines, Iowa, US
    Moves
    09 Aug '19 10:33
    The traditional off the grid movement lifestyle is difficult to do in the US today. By traditional, I mean buying some land and creating your own little world, trying to be as self-sufficient as possible. It takes boat loads of money, as most places have building codes which require tens of thousands of dollars just to set up the basics (water, septic, etc.). The tiny house movement is interesting, but, increasingly, owners of tiny homes find it hard to actually find a place to park their tiny home, because of codes. That's why the nomad movement has taken off. What these people have done to customize their vans and etc. is amazing. By limiting the amount of mileage they put on their rigs, staying at the hundreds (thousands?) of free places out there, they economize on their expenses. I find all of these things fascinating - how people solve problems to live the kind of life they want.
  14. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    09 Aug '19 10:36
    @chaney3 said
    I hope he can find room service and maids when he's "off the grid".
    I rarely use room service on my frequent business travels. I prefer to wander down to the bar and see what action there may be. Or perhaps I’ll pick a quite table in the restaurant and have some attractive chatty waiting person bring me something delicious.

Life on the business road has its sort of “off the grid” moments.
  15. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    09 Aug '19 10:411 edit
    Ever wanted to live “off the grid”?

And leave you lot to fend for yourselves here? Don't be silly.... 😉

Reveal Hidden Content
    you lot. (idiomatic, colloquial, chiefly Britain, may have disparaging nuance)

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree