1. Joined
    06 Feb '13
    Moves
    11 Jun '13 08:36
    I have many extrinsic motivators. e.g I won this country's science olympiad and was more happy that people would know my intelligence rather than having the satisfaction that I worked hard. I think this can be said for many people. Examples please?
  2. Account suspended
    Moves
    11 Jun '13 08:511 edit
    Wait, please. For us, extrinsic men on this forum, it takes time to look up the dictionaries to see what "extrinsic" is...

😛
  3. Dublin Ireland
    Moves
    11 Jun '13 09:03
    Originally posted by Tygert
    I have many extrinsic motivators. e.g I won this country's science olympiad and was more happy that people would know my intelligence rather than having the satisfaction that I worked hard. I think this can be said for many people. Examples please?
    A wise man works hard, achieves much,
    but remains humble in the eyes of his peers.

It is not a good idea to be boastful.

If one has talents they shall be recognized and should be rewarded.
    But one should not elevate himself above his brothers.

Be nice to people on your way up to the top of the mountain.
    For you will meet them again on your way back down
    and yes at some stage, you will come down.
  4. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    11 Jun '13 09:32
    "e.g I won this country's science Olympiad", would you be able to describe your project?
  5. Joined
    06 Feb '13
    Moves
    11 Jun '13 10:252 edits
    Originally posted by johnnylongwoody
    A wise man works hard, achieves much,
    but remains humble in the eyes of his peers.

It is not a good idea to be boastful.

If one has talents they shall be recognized and should be rewarded.
    But one should not elevate himself above his brothers.

Be nice to people on your way up to the top of the mountain.
    For you will meet them again on your way back down
    and yes at some stage, you will come down.
    Thanks (NOT) johnnylongwoody for that unbelievable life lesson which I learned years ago. I am actually learning about extrinsic motivation in my L.O class and find it an interesting topic as it affects many people. I asked for examples, not a doom statement "You will come down." You should understand that this was purely meant as an example.
  6. Joined
    06 Feb '13
    Moves
    11 Jun '13 10:25
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    "e.g I won this country's science Olympiad", would you be able to describe your project?
    ?
  7. Joined
    09 Nov '12
    Moves
    11 Jun '13 14:17
    ?
    He's confusing it with a Science Fair.
  8. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    11 Jun '13 14:17
    ?
    ... would you be able to describe your [computer science] project?
  9. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    11 Jun '13 14:32
    Originally posted by vandervelde
    Wait, please. For us, extrinsic men on this forum, it takes time to look up the dictionaries to see what "extrinsic" is...

😛
    It means your motivation comes from without, as opposed to from within, like your main motivation to go to work every day might be because you get paid, instead of because you like to do a good job.
  10. Joined
    06 Feb '13
    Moves
    11 Jun '13 19:16
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    It means your motivation comes from without, as opposed to from within, like your main motivation to go to work every day might be because you get paid, instead of because you like to do a good job.
    Thank you Suzianne. Something on the topic.
  11. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    11 Jun '13 19:27
    Writing Prose Entries for submission to Silverstriker for an RHP Prose Competition.
  12. Subscriberrookie54
    free tazer tickles..
    wildly content...
    Moves
    11 Jun '13 22:38
    i'm a dick...
    i enjoy watching people's disbelief when i'm dickish towards their stunning boorishness...
  13. Standard memberChessPraxis
    Cowboy From Hell
    American West
    Moves
    12 Jun '13 00:35
    I won this country's science olympiad
    How far did you throw the antimatter shot put??
  14. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    20 Jun '13 18:031 edit
    Originally posted by ChessPraxis

How far did you throw the antimatter shot put??
    "Q: Would it be possible to create an antimatter weapon by “harvesting” enough antimatter, containing it in an electro-magnetic field and placing that in a projectile?" Posted on August 19, 2012 by The Physicist. " Physicist: A. Yes, but it wouldn’t be easy...

Anti-matter is generated one particle at a time, randomly, during high-energy collisions. These collisions produce all kinds of particles, including a lot of light (which is just wasted energy). But if you want to collect anti-matter, what you’re looking for is anti-protons and anti-electrons (also called "positrons". < First of several interesting paragraphs with colorful graphics. (gb)

http://www.askamathematician.com/2012/08/q-would-it-be-possible-to-create-an-antimatter-weapon-by-harvesting-enough-antimatter-containing-it-in-an-electro-magnetic-field-and-placing-that-in-a-projectile/

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree