1. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    19 Feb '21 08:42
    Taking names and kicking ass!

But who in your opinion is the name taker and who is the ass kicker in this giant stand off?
  2. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    19 Feb '21 11:541 edit
    @divegeester said

But who in your opinion is the name taker and who is the ass kicker in this giant stand off?
    It seems that Facebook has delusions of grandeur if it thinks that by blocking news on its site that Australians can't get news anywhere else.

This is why the internet is as big as it is, so one group can't shut another group out. Seems to me Facebook is just trying to shoot themselves in the foot. Screw 'em.
  3. Joined
    13 Feb '21
    Moves
    19 Feb '21 16:25
    @Suzianne

Exactly and it's not like someone else can't create a new site which will and always does happen.
  4. Joined
    13 Feb '21
    Moves
    19 Feb '21 16:26
    @divegeester said

I think Facebook is a cancer.
  5. SubscriberKewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    Australia
    Moves
    19 Feb '21 20:38
    Facebook now offers only fake news here, so they've gone down the rabbit hole all by themselves. They won't be missed. We're not big on conspiracy theories here.
  6. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    19 Feb '21 22:10
    I don’t like Facebook either, I use it, but I don’t like what it stands for these days.

However, the Auz government have take a big step to tell a private company that it is going to charge it for sharing news feeds.

Now just think about this for a moment; the Auz government own neither the news, nor Facebook. And yet they are saying that they want money for what has until now been a relatively healthy symbiotic relationship between two independent entities, several in fact. What gives the Auz government the right to demand money from Facebook or any other company in this way?

Facebook has said they won’t pay, and to avoid any potential legal action have shut down the media feeds on its own pages. The media feeds are still available on the news websites. The news is still there to be read.

So far, I’m with Facebook on this one.
  7. Joined
    13 Feb '21
    Moves
    19 Feb '21 22:151 edit
    @divegeester

A website gets money from ads and other stuff so if people are going to Facebook for news then Facebook gets the money instead of the news websites.

If I started a website and made money from your chess games and your short stories you would want some cash too. Especially if less people were going to your site and coming to mine.

It's not the Aussie government that wants the cash. They want big tech like Facebook and Google to pay news outlets for the news stories.

The news company is paying people to get and produce the news and big tech just gets it for free?
    Not anymore.
    I have a TV bill and the cable company has to pay someone too.
    Big tech is basically getting free money from all the people going to them for the news.
  8. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    19 Feb '21 23:21
    @phil-a-dork said
    @divegeester

A website gets money from ads and other stuff so if people are going to Facebook for news then Facebook gets the money instead of the news websites.

If I started a website and made money from your chess games and your short stories you would want some cash too. Especially if less people were going to your site and coming to mine.

It's not the Aussie ...[text shortened]... meone too.
    Big tech is basically getting free money from all the people going to them for the news.
    So why can’t the news media sort it with Facebook themselves?
    Why does ‘big brother’ government have to get involved?

The news media are (were) happy, because they are getting great distribution from Facebook.
  9. Joined
    13 Feb '21
    Moves
    19 Feb '21 23:26
    @divegeester said
    So why can’t the news media sort it with Facebook themselves?
    Why does ‘big brother’ government have to get involved?

The news media are (were) happy, because they are getting great distribution from Facebook.
    Great distribution from Facebook yes but no revenue. The add revenue is going to Facebook right now.

Google settled it before the new law forced them to but that Facebook owner is a power hungry narcissist.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree