Family Related Items and Issues

General

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
31 May 14

* Marriage:
Billy Sunday once noted: "Your reputation is what people say
about you. Your character is what God and your wife know about you."

* The Aging Process: "Three Seniors are out for a stroll. One of them remarks, "It's Windy."
Another replies, No way. It's Thursday." The last one says, "Me too. Let's have a beer."

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
01 Jun 14

* Father and Mother Images: To what extent do sons and daughters consciously and subliminally attempt to emulate positive and/or to compensate for the disappointment of negative images as an adult parent with children of their own?

old pueblo

Moves
01 Jun 14

Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
[b]* Father and Mother Images: To what extent do sons and daughters consciously and subliminally attempt to emulate positive and/or to compensate for the disappointment of negative images as an adult parent with children of their own?

*[/b]
I do know someone who seemed to be spoiling her own daughter and living through her as a way for the mother to have a happy childhood.

I do think many people don't compensate so much as learn from experience. If your parents did things that were flat-out wrong (or would be illegal today and invite CPS involvement), you decide early on that you want to be a different kind of parent and make different choices. You're not trying to fix your past, or get over hurt feelings because you didn't get the sled you wanted for Christmas. You don't want your children to grow up hungry, confused, terrorized, neglected, etc.

Then again, perhaps there are those who feel they must buy their children everything they ask for at Christmas because they didn't get one thing they wanted and didn't care why. A year or two ago, I remember a girl vilifying her parents because she didn't get the iPhone she wanted for Christmas. Her friends pointed out that the parents had gotten her a car, but she didn't care about that. (I could write a whole essay about that, but I'll stop here.)

TM

rebel city

Moves
01 Jun 14
1 edit

Originally posted by Sahuaro
I do know someone who seemed to be spoiling her own daughter and living through her as a way for the mother to have a happy childhood.

I do think many people don't compensate so much as learn from experience. If your parents did things that were flat-out wrong (or would be illegal today and invite CPS involvement), you decide early on that you wan ...[text shortened]... , but she didn't care about that. (I could write a whole essay about that, but I'll stop here.)
Yes true there are all kind of parents, and mistakes. But one point I would like to stress is that statistics show that a large number of criminals usually come from difficult, violent households, whose parents, in their turn, also came from similar hard backgrounds. It is a never ending cycle, aggravated by poverty, social destitution, marginalization, etc.

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
02 Jun 14

Originally posted by Tabitha Marshall
Yes true there are all kind of parents, and mistakes. But one point I would like to stress is that statistics show that a large number of criminals usually come from difficult, violent households, whose parents, in their turn, also came from similar hard backgrounds. It is a never ending cycle, aggravated by poverty, social destitution, marginalization, etc.
Tabitha, to what extent does a weak instead of strong (or missing) father image impact the authority orientation of a son?