1. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    05 Oct '18 07:15
    @wolfe63 said
    I agree.
    In fact the James Bond character does not fit my OP's intended definition of an "anti-hero".

Perhaps I should have titled the thread: "Favorite Nice Guys and Loveable Losers". That would have been better. 🙂

Some additional Anti-Hero Icons that I had in mind were:
    - Jerry Lewis (The Nutty Professor; Cinderfella; The Bellboy)
    - Jack Lemmon (The Apartment; ...[text shortened]... to fit the bill precisely. Like, Dirk Gently and Ignatius J. Reilly. I'd never heard of them before.
    The trope you're referring to is usually known as the 'Everyman'.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Everyman
  2. Joined
    06 Nov '15
    Moves
    05 Oct '18 08:51
    @suzianne said
    The trope you're referring to is usually known as the 'Everyman'.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Everyman
    Well, at least, the unusual 'everyman'.
  3. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    05 Oct '18 09:54
    Robbie Carobbie
  4. Standard memberMudfinger
    Ol' Dirty Heathen
    I'm Naked!
    Moves
    05 Oct '18 21:50
    Great Big Stees. He's been in jail in more countries than most have visited.
  5. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    05 Oct '18 22:381 edit
    @suzianne said
    I could tell you have studied it in depth as you seemed to have more insight into the character than most people do. As you know, the subtitle of Shelly's original story was The Modern Prometheus, so this adds a corroborating testimony to the monster as anti-hero. I have no problem giving credit where credit is due. Well-done!
    Did you ever get the frame that the monster did not exist? Here is my insight into the book, the lead character and the creature.

There is for me a telling scene during Frankenstein’s failed creation of the “bride” where he is covered in the “blood”, he is suddenly aware of the grotesque operation which he is involved in and it’s apparent failure. He turns away yet again disgusted and looks out of the window where the creature is outside looking in. They gaze at each other through the glass and Frankenstein is abhorred by what he sees; the creature is a revolting disfigured mess of hatred and abandonment.

But hold on here...Frankenstein is in a brightly lit laboratory looking out of a window into the dark night. What does he see? He doesn’t see a creature outside, he sees his own reflection glaring back at him, he sees himself, he realises that the creature is in fact himself. He is the murderer, the daemon, the bringer of misery and death.
  6. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Moves
    06 Oct '18 04:34
    tiger...

Did you steal that analysis from Kiddo’s book report? The thoughts and language are remarkably similar.

Shame on you!
  7. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    06 Oct '18 04:39
    the ultimate anti-hero Alex (clockwork Orange)
  8. Subscribermoonbus
    Ãœber-Nerd
    Moves
    07 Oct '18 07:263 edits
    @badradger said
    the ultimate anti-hero Alex (clockwork Orange)
    Alex is a complex metaphor for feral youth, thug, and victim, all rolled into one. Alex is definitely anti-, especially anti-social. Not sure he’s a hero in any sense though. I read the book ages ago but don’t remember how it ends. Does he ever find peace, or is he ultimately a broken figure, like Winston Smith (1984)?
  9. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    07 Oct '18 07:57
    @moonbus said
    Alex is a complex metaphor for feral youth, thug, and victim, all rolled into one. Alex is definitely anti-, especially anti-social. Not sure he’s a hero in any sense though. I read the book ages ago but don’t remember how it ends. Does he ever find peace, or is he ultimately a broken figure, like Winston Smith (1984)?
    in the final chapter of the book Alex turns away from violence and has a wife and child, Kubrick left the last chapter out saying it was a cop out and very very british.
  10. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    07 Oct '18 09:46
    @moonbus said
    Most anti-heroes are broken to some degree. It comes with the territory, I think.
  11. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    07 Oct '18 10:191 edit
    @divegeester said
    Did you ever get the frame that the monster did not exist? Here is my insight into the book, the lead character and the creature.

There is for me a telling scene during Frankenstein’s failed creation of the “bride” where he is covered in the “blood”, he is suddenly aware of the grotesque operation which he is involved in and it’s apparent failure. He turns away yet ag ...[text shortened]... at the creature is in fact himself. He is the murderer, the daemon, the bringer of misery and death.
    Yeah, I got that bit of "self-reflection", ho-ho... Interesting concept, and the archetypal story of good and evil residing in one body was, of course, The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde, by Stevenson, but he didn't write that until 1886. One wonders if perhaps he was inspired by the story (particularly that scene) of Frankenstein.
  12. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    07 Oct '18 13:44
    clint in kellys heroes

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree