1. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    26 Jan '16 09:03
    Originally posted by ptobler
    Freedom is when I am away from my wife, the dragon, what a sweet relief...
    That's too bad... life is too short not to live it more abundantly.

I wonder if she feels the same way?
  2. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    26 Jan '16 09:051 edit
    Originally posted by FMF
    I did not claim to be quoting the Janis Joplin version. I take it you are fond of the song. What is your take on the sentiment about "freedom" that it expresses?

It's a song.

As an American, my feeling about 'freedom' is a bit more comprehensive. It doesn't fit on a 'bumper sticker'.
  3. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    26 Jan '16 09:11
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    As an American, my feeling about 'freedom' is a bit more comprehensive. It doesn't fit on a 'bumper sticker'.
    Nor does the line from the Kris Kristofferson song ~ which incidentally makes no claim to be comprehensive in its definition. It probably doesn't qualify as a definition of any kind. But the lyric has always struck me as a classic fragment of Americana which might resonate with someone who has heard the song ~ like you have ~ or who is an American ~ like you are.
  4. Account suspended
    Moves
    26 Jan '16 12:14
    Originally posted by FMF
    Nor does the line from the Kris Kristofferson song ~ which incidentally makes no claim to be comprehensive in its definition. It probably doesn't qualify as a definition of any kind. But the lyric has always struck me as a classic fragment of Americana which might resonate with someone who has heard the song ~ like you have ~ or who is an American ~ like you are.
    Its a great pity that an tempt at derailment took place on the basis of some pedantry. My father loved Kristofferson, when he came home from fitting out oil riggs in the North sea he would blast him out on a Sunday afternoon, him, John Denver and Rod Stewart.

Freedom is relative at the best of times and perhaps when one has 'nothing left to lose', it affords the most possibilities although it cannot be true in all instances.
  5. SubscriberPonderableonline
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    01 Feb '16 15:59
    Frei wovon? Was schert das Zarathustra? Hell aber soll mir dein Auge künden: frei wozu?

Nietzsche

One of my favourite Nietz'sche quotations. (my rough Translation)

Free of what? What is that to Zarathustra? But your bright eye shall tell me: Free to do what?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree