Girt by Sea

SubscriberFMF
General 07 Feb '16 02:37
  1. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    07 Feb '16 02:37
    Girt by Sea, An Archival History of the Australian Coast.

Australians have a special affinity with the ocean. Our major cities hug the coastline and the beaches are the site of some of our best childhood memories, the most engrossing natural views and also our greatest fears. Girt by Sea is a cinematic love letter to the coastline of Australia - a poetic celebration of our deep connection to the sea as documented over the past 100 years. Drawing exclusively from archival footage set to an enigmatic score by The Panics, director Shane McNeil weaves a lyrical and contemplative interpretation of Australia’s coastal history.

Very interesting, and rather absorbing, although my first impression of it is that it is that's a wee bit too much of a hagiography (as it were) for my taste.

I downloaded it whole but you can watch it segment by segment here...

http://www.abc.net.au/arts/girtbysea/
  2. Subscriberptobler
    Patzer
    Canberra
    Moves
    07 Feb '16 03:51
    Originally posted by FMF
    [b]Girt by Sea, An Archival History of the Australian Coast.

[quote]Australians have a special affinity with the ocean. Our major cities hug the coastline and the beaches are the site of some of our best childhood memories, the most engrossing natural views and also our greatest fears. Girt by Sea is a cinematic love letter to the coastline of Australia - ...[text shortened]... whole but you can watch it segment by segment here...

http://www.abc.net.au/arts/girtbysea/[/b]
    "Our land is girt by sea" - line from the Australian National Anthem - but Wollongong is girt by sea on one side!
  3. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    07 Feb '16 11:00
    No nations history is more defined by the sea than Britain's.
  4. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    07 Feb '16 11:13
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    No nations history is more defined by the sea than Britain's.
    I was brought up to realize that the history of Britain is the history of the world. Francis Fukuyama's "The End of History" simply isn't going to come true until the world realizes it too.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree