Gravity

SubscriberJS357
General 08 Oct '13 20:45
  1. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    08 Oct '13 20:451 edit
    I'd put this on culture but culture doesn't seem to cover movies.

Going into space is now off my bucket list not because I've been there but because I just saw a new movie, Gravity (in the 3D format). I will never ever allow myself to be that high up.

Rather than do an amateur review, I'll post a link to a review and the first paragraph from the review.

http://www.sfgate.com/movies/article/Gravity-review-powerful-images-and-drama-4866080.php

"To talk about "Gravity" is to talk about the visuals. Yet to talk about those visuals - and the ways in which "Gravity" represents cinema's most advanced and intelligent use of the 3-D process - is to talk about more than how the movie looks. As conceived by director Alfonso Cuarón, the visuals don't exist in isolation, and they're not intended to make viewers stand off to the side and say, "Wow, great special effects." They are inseparable from the movie's emotion and meaning."
  2. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    08 Oct '13 20:56
    Originally posted by JS357

Going into space is now off my bucket list not because I've been there but because I just saw a new movie, Gravity (in the 3D format). I will never ever allow myself to be that high up.

Rather than do an amateur review, I'll post a link to a review and the first paragraph from the review. ...[text shortened]... d say, "Wow, great special effects." They are inseparable from the movie's emotion and meaning."
    Since being a boy I have always wanted to see the earth from space.

Worth paying to see then?
  3. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    08 Oct '13 23:431 edit
    Originally posted by divegeester
    Since being a boy I have always wanted to see the earth from space.

Worth paying to see then?
    Definitely. You will enjoy it if "enjoy" is the right word for being in the middle of one life threatening moment after another with the earth ~250 miles away in the background.
  4. SubscriberDrewnogal
    Constant Gardener
    The Plot
    Moves
    09 Oct '13 11:34

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

5. Joined
    14 Mar '04
    Moves
    09 Oct '13 11:59
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    Why do you think all his friends refer to him as a "Spacecadet"?
  6. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    09 Oct '13 12:11
    No he just has his head in the clouds
  7. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    09 Oct '13 17:131 edit
    I crossed it off my bucket list because of the movie.

PS They call me Buzz Lightyear.
  8. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    09 Oct '13 17:30

Rather than do an amateur review, I'll post a link to a review and the first paragraph from the review. ...[text shortened]... d say, "Wow, great special effects." They are inseparable from the movie's emotion and meaning."
    Of course culture covers movies.

Maybe you just wanted a wider audience since not as many people frequent the Culture Forum.

I am wanting to see this movie, though.

I understand it's best in 3D, would you recommend IMAX?
  9. Joined
    09 Nov '12
    Moves
    09 Oct '13 17:42
    Originally posted by Suzianne

Maybe you just wanted a wider audience since not as many people frequent the Culture Forum.

The Culture Forum has seemingly "evolved" into a hang out for middle-aged corksniffers. Ross needs to start a Counter-Culture sub-forum next and people may actually be interested instead of having to suffer through their yawnfest posts.
  10. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    09 Oct '13 17:58
    Originally posted by Suzianne

I've seen one visually spectacular movie in IMAX and really enjoyed it (but I can't remember what it was). I think 3D is the important thing. Frankly Gravity in IMAX might be a little too disorienting for me, but I'm a bit acrophobic. Sure, see it in IMAX 3D if you can.
  11. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    09 Oct '13 18:30
    Originally posted by Zamboner
    The Culture Forum has seemingly "evolved" into a hang out for middle-aged corksniffers. Ross needs to start a Counter-Culture sub-forum next and people may actually be interested instead of having to suffer through their yawnfest posts.
    Sounds like you're a little "Counter-Culture" yourself, there. 😀
  12. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    09 Oct '13 18:311 edit
    I've seen one visually spectacular movie in IMAX and really enjoyed it (but I can't remember what it was). I think 3D is the important thing. Frankly Gravity in IMAX might be a little too disorienting for me, but I'm a bit acrophobic. Sure, see it in IMAX 3D if you can.
    Ok, thanks, I will, then.

Edit: The web tells me this will run me $11.50. If this is as good as advertised, it should be money well spent.
  13. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    09 Oct '13 18:49
    Originally posted by Zamboner
    If Ross balks at your suggestion, perhaps Russ might lend a listening ear.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree