General Forum

General Forum

1. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    21 Mar '17 03:47
    I found a 16 gig flash drive, thumb drive, whatever you want to call it. It says it has 14 gigs of stuff. But when you open it it says empty folder. I copied it to desktop and it went really slow like it was pumping out gigs of data but the folder on the desktop also says empty folder even though 'properties' says there is 14 gigs there.

Any idea how to get into this drive? What would be missing for it to say empty folder but properties says there is 14 gigs there?
  2. Subscriberdivegeester
    digital entity
    libera te ex inferis
    Moves
    21 Mar '17 04:01
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    I found a 16 gig flash drive, thumb drive, whatever you want to call it. It says it has 14 gigs of stuff. But when you open it it says empty folder. I copied it to desktop and it went really slow like it was pumping out gigs of data but the folder on the desktop also says empty folder even though 'properties' says there is 14 gigs there.

Any idea how to ...[text shortened]... ve? What would be missing for it to say empty folder but properties says there is 14 gigs there?
    "A fatal error has occurred"
  3. SubscriberFMF
    Main Poster
    This Thread
    Moves
    21 Mar '17 05:492 edits

Any idea how to ...[text shortened]... ve? What would be missing for it to say empty folder but properties says there is 14 gigs there?
    YouTube

or...

http://ccm.net/forum/affich-525552-folder-in-pendrive-shows-empty
  4. Standard memberptobler
    Patzer
    Canberra
    Moves
    21 Mar '17 06:01

Maybe Seagate DiscWizard?
  5. Subscribermoonbus
    Uber-Nerd
    Moves
    21 Mar '17 07:47
    There may be encrypted data on it. That would register a size but be unreadable w/o the key. Did it fall off the back of an FBI agent's truck recently?
  6. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    21 Mar '17 10:41
    Originally posted by moonbus
    There may be encrypted data on it. That would register a size but be unreadable w/o the key. Did it fall off the back of an FBI agent's truck recently?
    No, just an old drive I found in a drawer. It can't be TOO old since it is a 16 gig drive. I know there are many times that now available but I would not pay 150 bucks for a 16 when the standard was say 4 gigs. So I bought it within the past couple years.
  7. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    21 Mar '17 10:44
    Originally posted by FMF
    [youtube]A8E60w2lEmQ[/youtube]

or...

http://ccm.net/forum/affich-525552-folder-in-pendrive-shows-empty
    Thanks for that. Worth a shot. I have some disk recovery software I forgot about, wasn't thinking of it like a hard drive. It seems there must be data on that drive because when I copied it it took a long time to copy. My assumption there is, if it was truly empty, it would have just done the job in a millisecond but it was more like 20 minutes futzing around loading.