1. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    11 Feb '24 21:15
    @the-gravedigger said
    I am all sweet and peachy on here but in real life I am a swine.
    😂
  2. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    13 Feb '24 04:11
    @drewnogal said
    … to being yourself here?

Just wondered?
    Another related question is this:

Can an online setting turn an introvert into an extrovert, albeit temporarily?

Another question:

Assuming we accept that online interaction is part of reality in this day and age ~ if introverts are extroverts for some significant portion of their time, can they be accurately described as "introverts" anymore?
  3. Subscriberhappy chappy
    I think not alot
    On my arse
    Moves
    13 Feb '24 05:01
    @FMF
    Vert is an interesting word.
    If one is introducing a vert you may be
    loosing a nice tree.
  4. SubscriberDrewnogal
    Constant Gardener
    The Plot
    Moves
    13 Feb '24 06:04
    @fmf said

Another question:

Assuming we accept that online interaction is part of reality in this day and age ~ if introverts are extroverts for some significant portion of their time, can they be accurately described as "introverts" anymore?
    It’s a good question. Yes to the first bit and maybe to the second bit.
  5. Joined
    20 May '16
    Moves
    13 Feb '24 06:50
    @fmf said

Another question:

Interesting question, I had to think a while. Being one although being much worse when I was younger, I’m going with no and yes, you?
  6. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    13 Feb '24 07:15
    @mike69 said
    you?
    Q.1: In a sense, I suppose. There can be things said that might be characteristic of, or mimic, extroversion.

Q.2: No. I'd save the term "extrovert" for people in face-to-face or public settings and not use it for uncharacteristic behaviour in a somewhat artificial, disinhibited environment.
  7. Joined
    20 May '16
    Moves
    13 Feb '24 07:37
    @fmf said
    Q.1: In a sense, I suppose. There can be things said that might be characteristic of, or mimic, extroversion.

Q.2: No. I'd save the term "extrovert" for people in face-to-face or public settings and not use it for uncharacteristic behaviour in a somewhat artificial, disinhibited environment.
    I think you’re confusing speech in general as a mimic, we do know how to talk or type something.… There are many aspects that go into and letting go of that makes things like even typing here easier. It will never be the same or any where near what a true extrovert would be or feel internally while doing these things so no relation.
  8. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    13 Feb '24 07:40
    @mike69 said
    I think you’re confusing speech in general as a mimic, we do know how to talk or type something.… There are many aspects that go into and letting go of that makes things like even typing here easier. It will never be the same or any where near what a true extrovert would be or feel internally while doing these things so no relation.
    Noted
  9. Joined
    14 Jan '19
    Moves
    13 Feb '24 07:55
    @drewnogal said
    If only we could see ourselves through another’s eyes. I wonder what we would think?
    It appears that this is what typically occurs here, where we express our views on how we perceive others and their opinions.

The threads are created as a pretext to facilitate exchanges about how we perceive others. Clearly, there is little consensus on how we view ourselves in the eyes of others. It's quite an amusing game, to put it mildly. Some people are so concerned with how others perceive them that they are hardly themselves.
  10. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    13 Feb '24 08:37
    @pettytalk said
    It appears that this is what typically occurs here, where we express our views on how we perceive others and their opinions.

The threads are created as a pretext to facilitate exchanges about how we perceive others. Clearly, there is little consensus on how we view ourselves in the eyes of others. It's quite an amusing game, to put it mildly. Some people are so concerned with how others perceive them that they are hardly themselves.
    A consensus on how we view ourselves in the eyes of others

What a ludicrous objective this would be.
  11. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    13 Feb '24 08:501 edit
    @pettytalk said

Some people are so concerned with how others perceive them that they are hardly themselves.

I hope this is the explanation for the why you come across the way you do.

One poster here often says "You know nothing about me". This, despite posting maybe 200,000 times. And the same poster does NOT claim to "know nothing about" other posters. I think, in a public space like this, and for the purposes of interacting with those people we don't know away from here, we are what we post, plain and simple.
  12. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    13 Feb '24 22:11
    @fmf said
    Some people are so concerned with how others perceive them that they are hardly themselves.

I hope this is the explanation for the why you come across the way you do.

One poster here often says "You know nothing about me". This, despite posting maybe 200,000 times. And the same poster does NOT claim to "know nothing about" other posters. I think, in a public space li ...[text shortened]... f interacting with those people we don't know away from here, we are what we post, plain and simple.
    Plain and simple would describe you fmf! You see we can agree on something! 🙂

-VR

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree