1. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    23 Sep '17 20:00
    Originally posted by @very-rusty
    Sad but true when putin is considered saner than the guy in the white house. Although I think he is still in a state of shock to even be there, not quite what he thought it would be I expect.

-VR
    It seems pretty well-established that the Russians did not want Hilary in the White House (though it remains to be seen whether their machinations actually tipped the vote). The Russians must be having second thoughts now, whether they bet on the right horse.
  2. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    23 Sep '17 21:13
    Originally posted by @moonbus
    It seems pretty well-established that the Russians did not want Hilary in the White House (though it remains to be seen whether their machinations actually tipped the vote). The Russians must be having second thoughts now, whether they bet on the right horse.
    moonbus,

I do believe the same as you. Actually though Hilary did get a few million more popular votes, just not where they counted the way the U.S. does it. Popular vote doesn't seem to count from what I can see.

-VR
  3. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    23 Sep '17 22:381 edit
    moonbus,

I do believe the same as you. Actually though Hilary did get a few million more popular votes, just not where they counted the way the U.S. does it. Popular vote doesn't seem to count from what I can see.

-VR
    Yes, this is due to the circumstance that the POTUS is not elected by direct popular vote, but by proxy, namely the Electoral College. It made sense when it was instituted in the 18th c. because it was cumbersome to tally direct (popular) votes across large distances without infrastructure, so electors were supposed to cast votes instead. By a legal quirk, or maybe an oversight, the electors are not bound to cast their votes proportionate to the direct votes in their respective constituencies. This has led more than once to presidents being elected who polled fewer popular votes than some other candidate. The system is no longer appropriate, given modern technology, and should be scrapped.
  4. Subscribermlb62
    mlb62
    Moves
    23 Sep '17 23:33
    Originally posted by @wolfgang59
    How long will the world tolerate this madman with nukes?t
    throw some money at the problem..the American Way.. There ALWAYS must be a BAD GUY.................
  5. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    24 Sep '17 13:35
    Originally posted by @moonbus
    Yes, this is due to the circumstance that the POTUS is not elected by direct popular vote, but by proxy, namely the Electoral College. It made sense when it was instituted in the 18th c. because it was cumbersome to tally direct (popular) votes across large distances without infrastructure, so electors were supposed to cast votes instead. By a legal quirk, ...[text shortened]... candidate. The system is no longer appropriate, given modern technology, and should be scrapped.
    Yes, I do agree that it is time for them to make some changes. We know the present guy will not be doing it. I think the Trumpster is playing a dangerous game right now with North Korea.

-VR
  6. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    24 Sep '17 16:00
    Yes, I do agree that it is time for them to make some changes. We know the present guy will not be doing it. I think the Trumpster is playing a dangerous game right now with North Korea.

-VR
    Yes, I agree. If it were just a matter of who has the weirdest haircut, it would be laughable.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree