1. SubscriberPaul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    The Stacks
    Moves
    10 May '14 11:301 edit
    Hi all,

I am a Showkeeping ("Custodial" ) Leader at Disney's Hollywood Studios in Orlando, Florida.

I receive an ungodly number of emails on a daily basis that pertain to all aspects of our operation, but a few days ago I received one from one of my bosses that made me pause and smile.

This is the interesting part that I can share without compromising anything:

"SK Team,

Please be aware that 3 Wookies will be using the SK Klubhouse at 11:15 each SWW day prior to the motorcade.

It is fine that we are in there, we should be able to conduct business as usual. "

("SWW" refers to "Star Wars Weekends", which are lots of fun, and in my opinion the best time to visit the Studios.)

I read it, then I re-read it, then I paused and thought to myself "How many places can a person work where the boss is going to say "Hey, some Wookies are coming over- just carry on"!

Sometimes I am reminded that I work in a cool place in the most unusual manner.
  2. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Moves
    10 May '14 11:33
    Originally posted by Paul Leggett
    Hi all,

I am a Showkeeping ("Custodial" ) Leader at Disney's Hollywood Studios in Orlando, Florida.

I receive an ungodly number of emails on a daily basis that pertain to all aspects of our operation, but a few days ago I received one from one of my bosses that made me pause and smile.

This is the interesting part that I can share without comp ...[text shortened]... st carry on"!

YAWN
  3. Joined
    31 Aug '06
    Moves
    10 May '14 11:39
    Personally, my expectations for Disney's version of star wars are held low. Like
    down in the toilet low. That should minimise the risk of disappointment to
    somewhere in the vicinity of 95%, I think.
  4. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    10 May '14 13:15
    Hi all,

This is the interesting part that I can share without comp ...[text shortened]... st carry on"!

Thumbs Up, Paul. When I read, "Hey, some Wookies are coming over- just carry on"! I literally laughed out loud. Thanks.
  5. Standard membercaissad4
    Child of the Novelty
    San Antonio, Texas
    Moves
    10 May '14 13:24
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    Thumbs Up, Paul. When I read, "Hey, some Wookies are coming over- just carry on"! I literally laughed out loud. Thanks.
    Many years ago I worked at a local convenience store. One day I was talking to my manager and as someone walked in I commented "Look at that clown who just walked in". My manager hushed me and I repeated my statement again. He turned around and saw it actually was a clown. Everyone had a good laugh, except my manager. He fired me a week later.
  6. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    10 May '14 13:32
    Originally posted by caissad4
    Many years ago I worked at a local convenience store. One day I was talking to my manager and as someone walked in I commented "Look at that clown who just walked in". My manager hushed me and I repeated my statement again. He turned around and saw it actually was a clown. Everyone had a good laugh, except my manager. He fired me a week later.
    Sounds as if your "manager" was either young and immature or lacking in self esteem and easily threatened. Reason given?
  7. Standard membercaissad4
    Child of the Novelty
    San Antonio, Texas
    Moves
    10 May '14 13:37
    Sounds as if your "manager" was either young and immature or lacking in self esteem and easily threatened. Reason given?
    Middle aged and easily embarrassed. He said I just wasn't working out.
  8. Joined
    14 Mar '04
    Moves
    10 May '14 13:40
    Middle aged and easily embarrassed. He said I just wasn't working out.
    Sounds like why I left the gym I joined.
  9. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    10 May '14 17:01
    Originally posted by Great Big Stees
    Sounds like why I left the gym I joined.
    😛
  10. This is embarrasking
    Moves
    10 May '14 18:06
    Was that a gladiators thumbs up?
  11. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    10 May '14 18:14
    Originally posted by cashthetrash
    Was that a gladiators thumbs up?
    "The original meanings of "thumbs up" and "thumbs down" Thread 159155

"Thumbs down, signified “swords down.....”

Nah. Straight Up for "Showkeeping ("Custodial" ) Leader at Disney's Hollywood Studios in Orlando, Florida" Paul.
  12. SubscriberPaul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    The Stacks
    Moves
    13 May '14 13:351 edit
    Nice- I love this stuff!

EDIT- Not the firing stuff, of course, although I am sure it was the store's loss.
  13. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    13 May '14 13:43
    Hi all,

I once raised quail (starting with eggs) for a living. The job also included making food for mice and rats. Not so interesting, but unusual.
  14. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    13 May '14 13:48
    Nice- I love this stuff!

EDIT- Not the firing stuff, of course, although I am sure it was the store's loss.
    How long have you been at Disney? I am very old and when I was 13 I got my knee broken in a football game and ended up in Children's hospital in Los Angeles, Ca. So on TV was the story about the original Disneyland and they had just finished the site and the TV story was about the first visitors.

And here I was, 13 years old, leg up in traction for a month unable to see Disneyland except on TV🙂

Did play a lot of Monopoly with the other kids though...
  15. SubscriberPaul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    The Stacks
    Moves
    14 May '14 01:53
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    How long have you been at Disney? I am very old and when I was 13 I got my knee broken in a football game and ended up in Children's hospital in Los Angeles, Ca. So on TV was the story about the original Disneyland and they had just finished the site and the TV story was about the first visitors.

And here I was, 13 years old, leg up in traction for a mon ...[text shortened]... le to see Disneyland except on TV🙂

Did play a lot of Monopoly with the other kids though...
    I started in 1998. I had moved to Orlando to work for Charles Schwab but was distracted by Disney and never made it there!

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree