1. Joined
    14 Mar '04
    Moves
    08 Apr '13 17:01
    Originally posted by stellspalfie
    people also forget what a state germany was in before hitler came to power.
    And the comparison is what? You're kidding right?
  2. SubscriberDrewnogal
    Constant Gardener
    The Plot
    Moves
    08 Apr '13 17:43

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

3. In your face
    Moves
    08 Apr '13 17:55
    people also forget what a state germany was in before hitler came to power.
    Stripping school kids of free milk and unions of their powers hardly compares with the Nazi atrocities. I'm not a fan of the woman but this is a little unfair.
  4. Dublin Ireland
    Moves
    08 Apr '13 18:231 edit
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    Not too many British people liked Ted Heath either.

Neil Kinnock had a hard time too.

In more recent times, Tony Blair was seen as a puppet of Bush.

Gordon Brown fell foul of a lot of people too.

Maggie was disliked because she did not know how to compromise.
    The lady is not for turning was a phrase that will always be attributed
    to her. She was inflexible on many policies.

I think the poll tax was the start of her demise.

Her unpopularity had nothing to do with the fact that she was a woman.
  5. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    08 Apr '13 18:26
    thank you. i trust you have seen the error of your logic, bought a red flag, party poppers, few beers and joined the party. there will be dancing in the streets tonight, you dont want to miss out.
    You have streets where you live then?
  6. SubscriberDrewnogal
    Constant Gardener
    The Plot
    Moves
    08 Apr '13 18:41

7. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    08 Apr '13 19:461 edit
    Originally posted by divegeester
    You have streets where you live then?
    i live in buckinghamshire, i'm a tiny dot of red in a sea of blue. but i come from teeside......and no we didnt have streets as such, it was horizontal concrete with boxes of concrete on top and concrete flower beds with concrete flowers.
  8. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    08 Apr '13 19:55
    i live in buckinghamshire, i'm a tiny dot of red in a sea of blue. but i come from teeside......and no we didnt have streets as such, it was horizontal concrete with boxes of concrete on top and concrete flower beds with concrete flowers.
    I guess everyone who didn't live in Teeside or in a concrete box should feel bad about that. For some reason.
  9. Dublin Ireland
    Moves
    08 Apr '13 19:56
    You've come a long way.

From rough tough Teeside,

to lovely rural posh Buckinghamshire?

It's a wonder they let you in.......🙂
  10. SubscriberDrewnogal
    Constant Gardener
    The Plot
    Moves
    08 Apr '13 20:07

11. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    09 Apr '13 09:33
    Originally posted by divegeester
    I guess everyone who didn't live in Teeside or in a concrete box should feel bad about that. For some reason.
    to be honest i was being a bit over dramatic. teeside (or the infant hercules as gladstone named it) is beautiful place, the cleveland hills and yorkshire moors on one side and whats left of the industry that helped build the modern world on the other, lining the river tees which slips into the picturesque tees valley.

we built the best steel in the world - until thatcher sold british steel, now we still make steel but the money goes to india.

we invented and built the railways - thatcher then sold british rail, look where thats got us.

we dug the coal the fueled the power stations - thatcher shut us down

we had ici one of the biggest chemical companies in the world - thatcher stood buy as it was torn apart, sold off and closed down.

in return we got a tiny nissan plant. thanks maggie.

yes you should, its called empathy. maybe you were too busy doing your homework to notice the suffering the midlands and the north endured and still do, maybe your eyes were fixated on the city of london, maybe you get a patriotic tingle up your spine when you see the hustle and bustle stock market as all those short term gains were made in the 1980's. i know my parents loved it when it all crashed in early 90's shortly after they had bought their first house and the interest rates went through the roof.

like ive said, i dont totally disagree with you about the unions. as its been pointed out to you with the german model, thatcher didnt crush the union and make all towns and cities great, she only cared about london, it would seem you feel the same.
  12. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    09 Apr '13 09:38
    Originally posted by johnnylongwoody
    You've come a long way.

From rough tough Teeside,

to lovely rural posh Buckinghamshire?

It's a wonder they let you in.......🙂
    shhhhh dont give me away. im disguised, ive got an over sized 4x4 for the school run and dressed head to feet burberry. my accent is a mix of teeside and york, the lady in tesco's the other day asked if i was from ireland??
  13. SubscriberPonderableonline
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    09 Apr '13 09:44
    Wait until the demis of G.W. Bush to see a vilified myn (probably more villified than Mrs. Thatcher).
  14. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    09 Apr '13 14:491 edit
    Neville Chamberlain leaps to mind.

His policy of appeasement was horribly ill-advised.
  15. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    09 Apr '13 15:433 edits
    to be honest i was being a bit over dramatic. teeside (or the infant hercules as gladstone named it) is beautiful place, the cleveland hills and yorkshire moors on one side and whats left of the industry that helped build the modern world on the other, lining the river tees which slips into the picturesque tees valley.

we built the best steel in the ake all towns and cities great, she only cared about london, it would seem you feel the same.
    One thing is for certain Thatcher created the divide in the country and the divide in opinion i.e. in this and thousands of other forums, pubs, households up and down the country. I'm not a 'Thatcherite' by any means, I've voted for all 3 parties over the years for various reasons and circumstances and on a personality level I really didn't like her at all. Her handling of the Poll tax initiative was typical of her autocratic domineering leadership style which worked well for her when political circumstance called for it, but was always destined to be her downfall.

It is my view that she was 'necessary' to break the power of the unions; I haven't seen a politician since her from any party that would have had the personal of political strength to withstand what ensued. The country could no longer afford to continue to subsiding steel, coal and the railways, and the union leaders were basically holding a gun to the government's head. Callaghan and Heath both lost power because of the unions imo, with Heath famously saying that Britain was becoming ungovernable, think about that statement, it is a serious indictment of our social, economic and political landscape at the time. That said the railways should never have been privatised, at least not the infrastructure, nor should have energy, instead Thatcher should have used the North Sea Oil money to fund a long term mass nuclear power enterprise.

Thatcher was somewhat fortunate to be re-elected for the third term; I remember my parents (Labour voters both) nearly losing their house because of her control of inflation through higher interest rates. But without her breaking the power of the Unions this country would be in the economic dark ages still.

Maybe we should argue over more interesting topics; like sport!

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree