1. SubscriberChris Guffogg
    Alekhine's Gun
    🤔 Bolton
    Moves
    26 May '20 14:36
    As our economy looks to open up (I go out for my daily bits & pieces), my local shop is charging more for milk, bread, juice, eggs etc. The big supermarkets are trending but no increase as yet.

Anyone else picking up on this?
  2. Joined
    03 Apr '19
    Moves
    26 May '20 14:43
    @hells-caretaker said
    As our economy looks to open up (I go out for my daily bits & pieces), my local shop is charging more for milk, bread, juice, eggs etc. The big supermarkets are trending but no increase as yet.

To be honest we have pretty much just used the supermarkets. Makes me wonder whether the little shops lost out through people trying to limit their outings and getting it in one big supermarket shop. Feeling guilty now as I like our local shop.
  3. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    26 May '20 14:52
    @hells-caretaker said

I just paid $40 for one egg.

Is that too much you think?

Just kidding.

But this has been the plan of Progressives for a long time. Crash the economy and set up their little collectivist regime as they flush the Constitution down the drain.
  4. Joined
    06 May '15
    Moves
    26 May '20 14:563 edits

Removed by poster

5. Gothenburg
    Moves
    26 May '20 17:061 edit
    @petewxyz said
    To be honest we have pretty much just used the supermarkets. Makes me wonder whether the little shops lost out through people trying to limit their outings and getting it in one big supermarket shop. Feeling guilty now as I like our local shop.
    I notice the opposite. People, like me and we are many, prefer to buy as easy as possible. I visit a local market to get fish, meat, vegetables, bread - it's outside and easily accessible. I also know that I do what I can to help these suppliers to survive and it's convenient for me too. But I know that some of my friends order food from the supermarkets which is packed in bags to be picked up outside. Those of us who have reason to be extra cautious, that is.
  6. Joined
    03 Apr '19
    Moves
    26 May '20 18:481 edit
    @torunn said
    I notice the opposite. People, like me and we are many, prefer to buy as easy as possible. I visit a local market to get fish, meat, vegetables, bread - it's outside and easily accessible. I also know that I do what I can to help these suppliers to survive and it's convenient for me too. But I know that some of my friends order food from the supermarkets which is packed in bags to be picked up outside. Those of us who have reason to be extra cautious, that is.
    We have one shop I love because they are aiming for zero waste. You take your own containers and weigh them empty then buy by weight. It's not just the obvious rice, pulses, porridge oats and dried fruit, but they will also refill liquid soaps, detergents and other cleaning products. I think there are other ones opening up in the area too. Birkenhead market has a good zero waste stall. It's a great way for local shops to challenge supermarkets by emphasising their bad record on packaging and also the miles their produce travels.
  7. Gothenburg
    Moves
    26 May '20 19:19
    @petewxyz said
    We have one shop I love because they are aiming for zero waste. You take your own containers and weigh them empty then buy by weight. It's not just the obvious rice, pulses, porridge oats and dried fruit, but they will also refill liquid soaps, detergents and other cleaning products. I think there are other ones opening up in the area too. Birkenhead market has a good zero w ...[text shortened]... supermarkets by emphasising their bad record on packaging and also the miles their produce travels.
    I like the idea, would have appreciated to have a similar shop here.
  8. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    26 May '20 19:46
    During "lockdown" we noticed that our supermarkets were not offering "Specials"
    as they usually do so that was effectively puttting prices up. However as we get
    back to normal the specials have reappeared and prices are back to normal.
  9. SubscriberEarl of Trumps
    Pawn Whisperer
    My Kingdom fora Pawn
    Moves
    26 May '20 23:14
    @petewxyz said
    We have one shop I love because they are aiming for zero waste. You take your own containers and weigh them empty then buy by weight. It's not just the obvious rice, pulses, porridge oats and dried fruit, but they will also refill liquid soaps, detergents and other cleaning products. I think there are other ones opening up in the area too. Birkenhead market has a good zero w ...[text shortened]... supermarkets by emphasising their bad record on packaging and also the miles their produce travels.
    Ahhh... that's a good thing. Pete. I like that
  10. SubscriberChris Guffogg
    Alekhine's Gun
    🤔 Bolton
    Moves
    27 May '20 02:26
    @petewxyz
    Never Walk Alone🚬
  11. SubscriberChris Guffogg
    Alekhine's Gun
    🤔 Bolton
    Moves
    27 May '20 03:43
    Also, and (I should take this to the debates) WTF is this 'Bitcoin'? I know about it but it baffles me....
  12. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    27 May '20 03:52
    @hells-caretaker said
    Also, and (I should take this to the debates) WTF is this 'Bitcoin'? I know about it but it baffles me....
    It's cryptocurrency.
  13. Joined
    01 May '20
    Moves
    27 May '20 03:53
    It's fake money that disappears when people refuse to believe in it.
    Invest but beware.
  14. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    27 May '20 05:00
    @the-pickled-walrus said
    Invest but beware.
    You mean you could make money or lose money?
    We are so lucky to have an economics genius among us!
  15. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    27 May '20 05:01
    @the-pickled-walrus said
    It's fake money that disappears when people refuse to believe in it.
    How does that differ from not-fake money O Wise One??

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree