General Forum

General Forum

1. Account suspended
    Moves
    01 Feb '14 14:261 edit
    Winter seriously began in Serbia, storm wind (80 km ph, in some areas 120 km ph), snow, ice on the sidewalks etc.

And what's cozy in that? Home. Warm home, heating, blackberry wine, coffee, and- football on TV. I mean soccer, all right.

Okay, I believed for a long time, that "soccer" is an American invention, and that it was related to the socks. By means of my foster family stepfather Discovery & stepmother History Channel and with additional help from my great aunt Wikipedia, I learned that soccer is British name, and that the word had meant "shoe"...

Hm.

Anyways, it's so cozy to be in warm home with glass of blackberry wine and cup of coffee, waiting for football or soccer games...
  2. Joined
    10 May '07
    Moves
    01 Feb '14 15:49
    Do you watch skiing too?
  3. Standard memberHandyAndy
    Non sum qualis eram
    At the edge
    Moves
    01 Feb '14 18:46
    Originally posted by vandervelde
    Okay, I believed for a long time, that "soccer" is an American invention, and that it was related to the socks. By means of my foster family stepfather Discovery & stepmother History Channel and with additional help from my great aunt Wikipedia, I learned that soccer is British name, and that the word had meant "shoe"...

Hm.
    Soccer was once known as association football or, in newspaper listings of league standings,
    "Assoc. Football." The name in use these days was derived from the abbreviation Assoc.
  4. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    02 Feb '14 16:54
    Originally posted by HandyAndy
    Soccer was once known as association football or, in newspaper listings of league standings,
    "Assoc. Football." The name in use these days was derived from the abbreviation Assoc.
    I always wondered... In fact I wonder why anybody would call "American football" fotball, since it is neither played with a ball nor exclusively with the feet.
  5. Standard memberHandyAndy
    Non sum qualis eram
    At the edge
    Moves
    02 Feb '14 17:48
    Originally posted by Ponderable
    I always wondered... In fact I wonder why anybody would call "American football" fotball, since it is neither played with a ball nor exclusively with the feet.
    A "ball" in sports can be spherical or ovoid. I believe American football is an outgrowth of rugby
    football, which does involve more kicking. And I suppose soccer fits in there somewhere.

Go Hawks!
  6. Account suspended
    Moves
    02 Feb '14 17:541 edit
    When I thought "soccer" had something to do with socks (which still cannot be ruled out), I was looking on the wasteland of internet in the search for "tights" as European revenge for sockers...
  7. Standard memberHandyAndy
    Non sum qualis eram
    At the edge
    Moves
    02 Feb '14 17:59
    When I thought "soccer" had something to do with socks (which still cannot ruled out), I was looking on the wasteland of internet in the search for "tights" as European revenge for sockers...
    As P.T. Barnum said, there's a socker born every minute.
  8. Subscriberdivegeester
    Racist, apparently
    Dumnonia
    Moves
    02 Feb '14 19:37
    Winter seriously began in Serbia, storm wind (80 km ph, in some areas 120 km ph), snow, ice on the sidewalks etc.

And what's cozy in that? Home. Warm home, heating, blackberry wine, coffee, and- football on TV. I mean soccer, all right.

Okay, I believed for a long time, that "soccer" is an American invention, and that it was related to the socks. ...[text shortened]... rm home with glass of blackberry wine and cup of coffee, waiting for football or soccer games...
    I didn't realise you lived in Siberia (do you?); I had the privilege of visiting Novosibirsk last year.