1. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    27 Aug '19 08:41
    https://www.bbc.com/news/av/world-asia-21298452/japanese-pop-star-shaves-her-head-after-disobeying-band-principles

WTF

Can you believe this?

Did not expect this from a modern culture.
  2. The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    27 Aug '19 09:18
    @wolfgang59 said
    https://www.bbc.com/news/av/world-asia-21298452/japanese-pop-star-shaves-her-head-after-disobeying-band-principles

WTF

Can you believe this?

I guess it is about protecting a public image (which probably is modern culture at work) but I agree, surprising to read.
  3. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    27 Aug '19 14:14
    @ghost-of-a-duke said
    I guess it is about protecting a public image (which probably is modern culture at work) but I agree, surprising to read.
    It is Japanese culture which we wouldn't understand not being from that part of the world or grew up in the environment there.

-VR
  4. The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    27 Aug '19 14:58
    @very-rusty said
    It is Japanese culture which we wouldn't understand not being from that part of the world or grew up in the environment there.

-VR
    My wife is Japanese. Half of my family are Japanese. I have spent time in Japan. I speak Japanese.

But sure, I know nothing about Japanese culture.
  5. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    27 Aug '19 15:222 edits
    @ghost-of-a-duke said
    My wife is Japanese. Half of my family are Japanese. I have spent time in Japan. I speak Japanese.

But sure, I know nothing about Japanese culture.
    No but your wife would or should, but as you said she is half Japanese.

Your sarcasm was detected.

I would be more interested on her views on what she saw, and what she thought, also if it is something which is done in the Japanese culture? Does the society agree with it? I don't think it is for us to decide.

I had a boss who spoke 6 different languages didn't mean he knew their cultures too.

-VR
  6. The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    27 Aug '19 16:15
    @very-rusty said
    No but your wife would or should, but as you said she is half Japanese.

Your sarcasm was detected.

I would be more interested on her views on what she saw, and what she thought, also if it is something which is done in the Japanese culture? Does the society agree with it? I don't think it is for us to decide.

I had a boss who spoke 6 different languages didn't mean he knew their cultures too.

-VR
    My wife is fully Japanese. But sure, my own knowledge of growing up in Japan is through her, not personal experience. (I said half 'my' family was Japanese, meaning my inlaws).
  7. Joined
    06 Nov '15
    Moves
    27 Aug '19 16:22
    @ghost-of-a-duke said
    My wife is fully Japanese. But sure, my own knowledge of growing up in Japan is through her, not personal experience. (I said half 'my' family was Japanese, meaning my inlaws).
    Japan has a great culture. One of honor that I began to admire and respect many years ago.

I'm surprised by such an article. Is it all true and not a bit hyperbolic?
  8. The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    27 Aug '19 16:36
    @wolfe63 said
    Japan has a great culture. One of honor that I began to admire and respect many years ago.

I'm surprised by such an article. Is it all true and not a bit hyperbolic?
    I had a love of all things Japan even when I was single and living on a diet of baked beans on toast.

When I visited Japan for the first time I was impressed by the politeness of the people. At bus stops, for example, there is a line painted on the ground and everyone queues up in the order they arrived. (And on the bus, nobody ever speaks on their mobiles). I hope this hasn't changed since I was last there.
  9. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    27 Aug '19 19:06
    @ghost-of-a-duke said
    I had a love of all things Japan even when I was single and living on a diet of baked beans on toast.

When I visited Japan for the first time I was impressed by the politeness of the people. At bus stops, for example, there is a line painted on the ground and everyone queues up in the order they arrived. (And on the bus, nobody ever speaks on their mobiles). I hope this hasn't changed since I was last there.
    That is quite impressive!

-VR
  10. SubscriberPonderableonline
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    16 Sep '19 06:05
    @wolfgang59 said

WTF

Can you believe this?

Is it sexism as such you are refering to or the culture of public shmaing or the culture of repenting publicly?
  11. SubscriberDrewnogal
    Constant Gardener
    The Plot
    Moves
    16 Sep '19 08:421 edit
    @ghost-of-a-duke said
    I’m wondering what she earns through her management recording contract? I’d get on my knees to someone if it meant preserving an accustomed lifestyle that was at risk.

I watched Jesy Nelson’s documentary. Part of her recording contract via X Factor was that she had to have a social media account to promote her exposure which led to the detriment of her mental health from the very start of her fame.
  12. SubscriberDrewnogal
    Constant Gardener
    The Plot
    Moves
    16 Sep '19 09:16
    @wolfgang59 said

WTF

Can you believe this?

They appear to be a modern culture because of their huge success in the electronics industry but some shocking things go on there. There’s a section of society that literally rent cages in which to live in high apartment blocks and a cafe culture where older man can go along to chat up waitresses under the age if 16.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/bbcthree/article/57eaaf23-0cef-48c8-961f-41f2563b38aa

https://www.bbc.co.uk/bbcthree/article/57eaaf23-0cef-48c8-961f-41f2563b38aa

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree