General Forum

General Forum

  1. Account suspended
    Joined
    10 Dec '11
    Moves
    143494
    23 Sep '16 23:14
    https://ca.news.yahoo.com/lawyer-sues-airline-nine-hour-094534997.html

    I've always thought that overweight people should pay for two seats.

    quote---
    An Italian lawyer is suing Emirates airline after being squashed next to a plus-sized fellow passenger for a nine-hour flight.

    Giorgio Destro, from Padua, northern Italy, found the uncomfortable flight from Cape Town to Dubai so frustrating that he’s demanding a refund for the price of his ticket, plus damages.

    He told Italian paper Mattino Padova: “For nine hours, I had to stand in the aisle, sit on seats reserved for the cabin crew when they were free, and in the final phase of flight resign myself to suffer the ‘spillover’ of the passenger at my side.”
  2. Unknown Territories
    Joined
    05 Dec '05
    Moves
    20408
    23 Sep '16 23:19
    Originally posted by vandervelde
    https://ca.news.yahoo.com/lawyer-sues-airline-nine-hour-094534997.html

    I've always thought that overweight people should pay for two seats.

    quote---
    An Italian lawyer is suing Emirates airline after being squashed next to a plus-sized fellow passenger for a nine-hour flight.

    Giorgio Destro, from Padua, northern Italy, found the uncomfortable f ...[text shortened]... the final phase of flight resign myself to suffer the ‘spillover’ of the passenger at my side.”
    And you all laughed at me when I broached the topic of 'fatties only' section of the passenger area.
  3. Account suspended
    Joined
    10 Dec '11
    Moves
    143494
    23 Sep '16 23:32
  4. Subscriberdivegeester
    digital entity
    libera te ex inferis
    Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    88290
    24 Sep '16 03:24
    Originally posted by vandervelde
    https://ca.news.yahoo.com/lawyer-sues-airline-nine-hour-094534997.html

    I've always thought that overweight people should pay for two seats.

    quote---
    An Italian lawyer is suing Emirates airline after being squashed next to a plus-sized fellow passenger for a nine-hour flight.

    Giorgio Destro, from Padua, northern Italy, found the uncomfortable f ...[text shortened]... the final phase of flight resign myself to suffer the ‘spillover’ of the passenger at my side.”
    Baggage on flights is restricted by weight and size; people should be also.
  5. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Joined
    08 Aug '03
    Moves
    35769
    24 Sep '16 07:17
    Originally posted by FreakyKBH
    And you all laughed at me when I broached the topic of 'fatties only' section of the passenger area.
    Well, yeah...

    If I was on that flight, I doubt if I could keep from pointing and laughing the whole flight. Especially if I knew he was an attorney.
  6. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Joined
    08 Aug '03
    Moves
    35769
    24 Sep '16 07:18
    Originally posted by divegeester
    Baggage on flights is restricted by weight and size; people should be also.
    Let me take a fantastically wild guess here: You're not one of these 'overweight' people?

    Somehow I didn't think so.
  7. Subscriberdivegeester
    digital entity
    libera te ex inferis
    Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    88290
    24 Sep '16 08:071 edit
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    Let me take a fantastically wild guess here: You're not one of these 'overweight' people?

    Somehow I didn't think so.
    Of course not.
    Weight is controllable; if grossly overweight people want to purchase seating space on a commercial flight they should pay for what space they use. Expecting fellow travellers to suffer with their flab spilling all over them is unacceptable. Perhaps you feel differently and have reasons to explain why?
  8. Account suspended
    Joined
    26 Aug '07
    Moves
    38239
    24 Sep '16 09:501 edit
    Originally posted by divegeester
    Of course not.
    Weight is controllable; if grossly overweight people want to purchase seating space on a commercial flight they should pay for what space they use. Expecting fellow travellers to suffer with their flab spilling all over them is unacceptable. Perhaps you feel differently and have reasons to explain why?
    In PIA (Pakistan international Airways) I was once handed a child by its mother and asked to look after it while she sought out her relatives! no one hardly sits on the seats they are assigned to and one guy I was sitting beside in economy decided that he wanted to see what business class was like and jumped up and sauntered off to find out.

    I got lucky once though, they refused to board my luggage because it was 90Kg's at the weigh in and at the time you were allowed 40Kg's max, I tried to pay by credit card but because it was from Pakistan my bank refused and my luggage was put to the side. The captain of the aeroplane came from his office and asked what this foreigner was doing sitting looking so gloomy. He then ordered my luggage onto the plane and apologised for treating guests to his so badly. I was gleeful, a guy from Manchester sitting beside me had to pay 140 sterling because his video camera equipment was past the weight limit and there I was, my 90Kgs of luggage safe in the hold Scot Free! I did not have the heart to tell him!
  9. Subscriberdivegeester
    digital entity
    libera te ex inferis
    Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    88290
    24 Sep '16 10:021 edit
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    In PIA (Pakistan international Airways) I was once handed a child by its mother and asked to look after it while she sought out her relatives! no one hardly sits on the seats they are assigned to and one guy I was sitting beside in economy decided that he wanted to see what business class was like and jumped up and sauntered off to find out.

    I g ...[text shortened]... re I was, my 90Kgs of luggage safe in the hold Scot Free! I did not have the heart to tell him!
    Interesting anecdotes; you were fortunate indeed to have the pilot to order your luggage taken on board.

    In recent years I've travelled a lot in Europe with work and I get really disappointed with the lack of courtesy by some passengers. Reclining of the seats has to be my pet hate; ok the seat reclines, but you don't have to recline it! The person behind gets hugely cramped and it is almost impossible to work on even a small laptop.
  10. Unknown Territories
    Joined
    05 Dec '05
    Moves
    20408
    24 Sep '16 10:05
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    Well, yeah...

    If I was on that flight, I doubt if I could keep from pointing and laughing the whole flight. Especially if I knew he was an attorney.
    See?
    Nobody likes fat people.
    I don't know that I necessarily point and laugh, though.
    You cold.
  11. Account suspended
    Joined
    26 Aug '07
    Moves
    38239
    24 Sep '16 10:252 edits
    Originally posted by divegeester
    Interesting anecdotes; you were fortunate indeed to have the pilot to order your luggage taken on board.

    In recent years I've travelled a lot in Europe with work and I get really disappointed with the lack of courtesy by some passengers. Reclining of the seats has to be my pet hate; ok the seat reclines, but you don't have to recline it! The person behind gets hugely cramped and it is almost impossible to work on even a small laptop.
    I once booked PIA flight from Glasgow to Islamabad and the airline diverted the plane to take pilgrims on Haj, Seriously! we arrived in London and our plane was not there, they apologised and we got free stay in a London hotel for a couple of days until they found a flight for us. Imran Khan the famous cricketer was on our flight. He was very unassuming 😀

    Are Europeans not quite as polite as us Brits?
  12. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    10315
    24 Sep '16 12:42
    Originally posted by divegeester
    Interesting anecdotes; you were fortunate indeed to have the pilot to order your luggage taken on board.

    In recent years I've travelled a lot in Europe with work and I get really disappointed with the lack of courtesy by some passengers. Reclining of the seats has to be my pet hate; ok the seat reclines, but you don't have to recline it! The person behind gets hugely cramped and it is almost impossible to work on even a small laptop.
    Worse when they're serving food, I'm usually the one with the reclined chair though 😛
  13. Subscriberdivegeester
    digital entity
    libera te ex inferis
    Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    88290
    24 Sep '16 14:10
    Originally posted by Trev33
    Worse when they're serving food, I'm usually the one with the reclined chair though 😛
    The next most annoying this must be people's revolting children misbehaving right behind you. Hanging onto and bouncing on the back of your seat, screaming and out of parental control. Get less of this on weekday short haul though.
  14. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Joined
    08 Aug '03
    Moves
    35769
    24 Sep '16 20:57
    Originally posted by divegeester
    Interesting anecdotes; you were fortunate indeed to have the pilot to order your luggage taken on board.

    In recent years I've travelled a lot in Europe with work and I get really disappointed with the lack of courtesy by some passengers. Reclining of the seats has to be my pet hate; ok the seat reclines, but you don't have to recline it! The person behind gets hugely cramped and it is almost impossible to work on even a small laptop.
    If fliers like you just have to get all pissy because they feel their 'needs' aren't being met, then perhaps you should either A) suck it up and suffer along with everyone else without excoriating others that you feel are 'impinging' on you, or B) reach into your wallet and fly first class, with all the others who cannot endure being herded in like the 'unwashed masses'. Basically, you shouldn't bitch and blame others if you insist on traveling in 'steerage'.
  15. Account suspended
    Joined
    26 Aug '07
    Moves
    38239
    25 Sep '16 06:04
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    If fliers like you just have to get all pissy because they feel their 'needs' aren't being met, then perhaps you should either A) suck it up and suffer along with everyone else without excoriating others that you feel are 'impinging' on you, or B) reach into your wallet and fly first class, with all the others who cannot endure being herded in like the 'unw ...[text shortened]... ses'. Basically, you shouldn't bitch and blame others if you insist on traveling in 'steerage'.
    A stewardess once apologised to me for getting sassy on a KLM flight, She came round with coffee and when I put my cup up for a refill, she looked harassed and blurted out, 'I've only got two hands'. Later during the flight she came beside me and softly apologised for being stroppy, it was such a beautiful thing, the humility. British airways have the best stewardesses, they are very motherly, bringing you cushions and making sure you are tucked in all safe and well, ahhhhh the fluffiness of it all! for a man-child there is nothing quite like being mothered. 😵
Back to Top