1. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    09 Mar '16 02:34
    'Just let athletes enhance their performances with drugs if they want to ~ and let's see what feats they are capable of and who wins things ~ just as long as all the sponsors, commentators, spectators, medical authorities and insurance companies know.'

Agree? Disagree?
  2. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    09 Mar '16 02:59
    Originally posted by FMF
    [b]'Just let athletes enhance their performances with drugs if they want to ~ and let's see what feats they are capable of and who wins things ~ just as long as all the sponsors, commentators, spectators, medical authorities and insurance companies know.'

Agree? Disagree?[/b]
    It is a tricky question.
    Why should chemical enhancement not be allowed?
    Why allow athletes to train?
    Why allow athletes coaches?
    Why allow altitude training?

I think the only valid case against drugs is the potential damage to the individual
    and while I believe in individual choice I would not want to be part of a society
    which encouraged such. In the same way I don't want to encourage boxing.
  3. SubscriberKewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    Australia
    Moves
    09 Mar '16 03:50
    Are you saying engine use should be allowed on RedHotPawn?

There's no difference between the two concepts. Either it's a level playing field or it's not. You're never going to stop the practice, only drive it underground. Perhaps it's time to look at different categories for assisted and unassisted performers, with all the testing confined to the unassisted group.
  4. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    09 Mar '16 04:05
    Originally posted by FMF
    [b]'Just let athletes enhance their performances with drugs if they want to ~ and let's see what feats they are capable of and who wins things ~ just as long as all the sponsors, commentators, spectators, medical authorities and insurance companies know.'

Agree? Disagree?[/b]
    Take it to Sports, spanky!
  5. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    09 Mar '16 04:41
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    Take it to Sports, spanky!
    I am looking forward to discussing this topic with the General Forum community. 😉
  6. SubscriberKewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    Australia
    Moves
    09 Mar '16 05:10
    I wouldn't have thought it belonged in Sports. Possibly in Debates, but there's a general-interest component and most of us don't go to Debates.
  7. Joined
    24 Apr '10
    Moves
    09 Mar '16 07:15
    Originally posted by Kewpie
    I wouldn't have thought it belonged in Sports. Possibly in Debates, but there's a general-interest component and most of us don't go to Debates.
    It's an FMF thread, so Suzianne must come in and criticize it.

It's the natural order of things 😛
  8. Joined
    24 Apr '10
    Moves
    09 Mar '16 07:16
    Also, what kind of drugs are we talking about?
  9. Standard memberSeitse
    Doug Stanhope
    That's Why I Drink
    Moves
    09 Mar '16 07:34
    I care very little about doped athletes. What I care about is the corrosive effect of
    the giant consumerism mechanism built around sports and the jingoistic vibe
    used by the powerful via competitive sports in order to keep the masses ready
    for manipulation.
  10. Joined
    24 Apr '10
    Moves
    09 Mar '16 07:37
    Originally posted by Seitse
    I care very little about doped athletes. What I care about is the corrosive effect of
    the giant consumerism mechanism built around sports and the jingoistic vibe
    used by the powerful via competitive sports in order to keep the masses ready
    for manipulation.
    Yeah. And telemarketing!
  11. SubscriberKewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    Australia
    Moves
    09 Mar '16 07:48
    I look at the lifetime damage to our young athletes. Sure they might make millions in a few years, but how many of them end up with a life worth living? When the dollars came into sport the sport went out of it.
  12. Mar-a-Lago
    Moves
    09 Mar '16 08:13
    Originally posted by FMF

Agree? Disagree?[/b]
    Agree, lets end this tedious game of cat and mouse between cheaters and testers.
    A two tier system of drug users and clean athletes would not work however.
    All the sponsor money would go to the 'clean athletes' so the drug takers would want to be in that section.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree