General Forum

General Forum

  1. SubscriberFMF
    Studying God figures
    Human Condition East
    Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    30003
    22 Mar '16 02:431 edit
    Without looking it up, what do you think the exclamation "Let the sky rain potatoes!" might mean?

    This is not about Googling, but is instead about offering a plausible interpretation for a baffling turn of phrase.
  2. Standard memberdrewnogal
    Rocky 2008-2019
    Ecofreak
    Joined
    07 Aug '12
    Moves
    41179
    22 Mar '16 02:45

    This post is unavailable.

    Please refer to our posting guidelines.

  3. Standard memberwolfgang59
    surviving
    Covid-19
    Joined
    09 Jun '07
    Moves
    48729
    22 Mar '16 04:04
    Originally posted by FMF
    [b]Without looking it up, what do you think the exclamation "Let the sky rain potatoes!" might mean?

    This is not about Googling, but is instead about offering a plausible interpretation for a baffling turn of phrase.[/b]
    A windfall?
    Or celebration?
  4. SubscriberFMF
    Studying God figures
    Human Condition East
    Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    30003
    22 Mar '16 04:36
    There's soon going to be an influx of Irish immigrants drawn perhaps by the conducive weather and climate?
  5. SubscriberKewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    Australia
    Joined
    20 Jan '09
    Moves
    340899
    22 Mar '16 07:41
    A local blessing in an Irish famine year?
  6. SubscriberFMF
    Studying God figures
    Human Condition East
    Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    30003
    22 Mar '16 08:37
    A new TV cookery programme's slogan promises to blow the dreary routine of a saucepan of boiling spuds sky high.
  7. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    11441
    23 Mar '16 01:19
    Originally posted by Kewpie
    A local blessing in an Irish famine year?
    It did rain potatoes during the famine, unfortunately they were all rotten.

    Anyone who still thinks the brittish aren't a bunch of bastards should read about the famine.
  8. SubscriberFMF
    Studying God figures
    Human Condition East
    Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    30003
    23 Mar '16 01:22
    Let the sky rain British bastards!
  9. Joined
    10 Nov '12
    Moves
    6889
    23 Mar '16 02:24
    Originally posted by Trev33
    It did rain potatoes during the famine, unfortunately they were all rotten.

    Anyone who still thinks the brittish aren't a bunch of bastards should read about the famine.
    I am personally to blame 🙄
  10. Joined
    10 Nov '12
    Moves
    6889
    23 Mar '16 02:28
    Originally posted by FMF
    [b]Without looking it up, what do you think the exclamation "Let the sky rain potatoes!" might mean?

    This is not about Googling, but is instead about offering a plausible interpretation for a baffling turn of phrase.[/b]
    I googled it. I see it was written by Stephen Fry and teleported through time.
  11. SubscriberFMF
    Studying God figures
    Human Condition East
    Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    30003
    23 Mar '16 05:21
    Originally posted by FMF
    Let the sky rain potatoes!
    An exhortation to get stuck in to a cryptic crossword.
  12. Standard memberapathist
    looking for loot
    western colorado
    Joined
    05 Feb '11
    Moves
    9664
    23 Mar '16 17:50
    It expresses a hope for horniness.
  13. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    11441
    23 Mar '16 18:27
    Originally posted by NoEarthlyReason
    I am personally to blame 🙄
    😠😲😕
  14. SubscriberFMF
    Studying God figures
    Human Condition East
    Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    30003
    23 Mar '16 22:27
    Originally posted by apathist
    It expresses a hope for horniness.
    How did you arrive at that suggestion?
  15. Standard memberapathist
    looking for loot
    western colorado
    Joined
    05 Feb '11
    Moves
    9664
    23 Mar '16 22:48
    I cheated. Before that, I guessed what, a prayer for sustenance. Potatoes is good.
Back to Top