Loneliness

Loneliness

General

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Constant Gardener

The Plot

Moves
49d

@moonbus said
Whatever happened to teenagers loading the bags for customers? It was a great part-time job for youths and so helpful, especially for elderly customers.
There’s a new Sainsbury opened near me where there isn’t a single human manned checkout. It’s all self serve.

Jack Torrance

Overlook Hotel

Moves
49d

@drewnogal said
There’s a new Sainsbury opened near me where there isn’t a single human manned checkout. It’s all self serve.
Bloody swines!

Über-Nerd

Moves
48d

@drewnogal said
Lemme get this straight: the staff are there only to stock the shelves and take inventory (although Elon Musk is probably working on an AI replacement for that too), while customers do the work at checkout and pay the same price for smaller packages ("shrinkflation" -- my nomination for word of the year 2024). So, this is what Insainsbury's has become? Only because customers put up with it and don't demand service by taking their custom somewhere else. I suppose Tesco is no better.

As shav would almost say, there's something retarded going on there.

Constant Gardener

The Plot

Moves
48d
2 edits

@moonbus said
Lemme get this straight: the staff are there only to stock the shelves and take inventory (although Elon Musk is probably working on an AI replacement for that too), while customers do the work at checkout and pay the same price for smaller packages ("shrinkflation" -- my nomination for word of the year 2024). So, this is what Insainsbury's has become? Only because customers ...[text shortened]... e Tesco is no better.

I only go there because of their good organic veg range. When the store was being built I’d expected lots of opportunities for a short term job for my son and couldn’t understand why there weren’t any?
What the store has done is reduce the crowds in Tesco & Aldi at the weekends and also created an increased water drainage flow into our local river increasing the potential for flooding and removing part of a wildlife area.

Über-Nerd

Moves
48d

@drewnogal said
I only go there because of their good organic veg range. When the store was being built I’d expected lots of opportunities for a short term job for my son and couldn’t understand why there weren’t any?
What the store has done is reduce the crowds in Tesco & Aldi at the weekends and also created an increased water drainage flow into our local river increasing the potential for flooding and removing part of a wildlife area.
What ever happened to little corner shops as in "Open All Hours" ? <sigh>

Jack Torrance

Overlook Hotel

Moves
48d

@moonbus said
Lemme get this straight: the staff are there only to stock the shelves and take inventory (although Elon Musk is probably working on an AI replacement for that too), while customers do the work at checkout and pay the same price for smaller packages ("shrinkflation" -- my nomination for word of the year 2024). So, this is what Insainsbury's has become? Only because customers ...[text shortened]... e Tesco is no better.

Petrol stations have been making customers do the work for decades.

Constant Gardener

The Plot

Moves
48d

@the-gravedigger said
That surely can’t be fair when I buy my self drive car 😖

Moves
48d

@drewnogal said
I find that hard to believe, I bet you could talk the hind legs off a donkey.
Well as it happens that’s why I am, now, an introvert. The SPCA found out that I, accidentally, did that and well, as they say, the rest is history.😢

Über-Nerd

Moves
48d

@the-gravedigger said
Well, that’s only to be expected from oil barons.

Constant Gardener

The Plot

Moves
47d

@drewnogal said
Not true! Discovered today they have 4 assisted checkouts tucked in the far corner.

Jack Torrance

Overlook Hotel

Moves
47d

@drewnogal said
Not true! Discovered today they have 4 assisted checkouts tucked in the far corner.
You will be able to buy your wine without getting bleeped at. 😀

Treat Everyone Equal

Halifax, Nova Scotia

Moves
47d

Did this Thread take a turn? I thought it was a thread about "Loneliness"?

-VR

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
47d

@very-rusty said
Did this Thread take a turn? I thought it was a thread about "Loneliness"?

-VR
Loneliness & Wine sounds like the perfect combination.

Jack Torrance

Overlook Hotel

Moves
47d

@david-burton said
Fully agree with you there.

Treat Everyone Equal

Halifax, Nova Scotia

Moves
47d

@david-burton said
I guess what ever floats your boat as the expression goes. I don't think Wine is going to help your loneliness except maybe temporally.

-VR