Loyal Opposition

Loyal Opposition

General

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
10 May 16
1 edit

Loyal Opposition

Definition: "a minority party especially in a legislative body whose opposition to the party in power is constructive, responsible, and bounded by loyalty to fundamental interests and principles <a well-fortified minority will tend to improve … legislative debate and can become a genuine loyal opposition — American State Legislatures>; specifically : the minority party in the British parliament —often used in the phrase His Majesty's loyal opposition." http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/loyal%20opposition
_________

Comments:

F

Moves
10 May 16

Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
[b]Loyal Opposition

Definition: "a minority party especially in a legislative body whose opposition to the party in power is constructive, responsible, and bounded by loyalty to fundamental interests and principles <a well-fortified minority will tend to improve … legislative debate and can become a genuine loyal opposition — American State Legi ...[text shortened]... pposition." http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/loyal%20opposition
_________

Comments:[/b]
I've found that those in power often start muttering sinister laments about "formerly" or "supposedly" "loyal opposition" when they find themselves being criticized by their political opponents or when they are seeking to inhibit free debate.

The Ghost Chamber

Moves
10 May 16

[b]Loyal Opposition

Definition: "a minority party especially in a legislative body whose opposition to the party in power is constructive, responsible, and bounded by loyalty to fundamental interests and principles <a well-fortified minority will tend to improve … legislative debate and can become a genuine loyal opposition — American State Legi ...[text shortened]... pposition." http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/loyal%20opposition
_________

Comments:[/b]
Your comments?

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
12 May 16

Originally posted by Ghost of a Duke
Your comments?
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty. When the loyal opposition dies,
I think the soul of America dies with it." ~Edward R. Murrow

The Ghost Chamber

Moves
12 May 16

"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty. When the loyal opposition dies,
I think the soul of America dies with it." ~Edward R. Murrow
Again, 'your' comments?

ook

hirsute rooster

Moves
13 May 16

Originally posted by Ghost of a Duke
Again, 'your' comments?
Ha!
You imagine that Grampy Bobby has any original thoughts.
Giggity.

He's a cut-and-paste kind of listing machine - eventually he'll regurgitate the complete works of Shakespeare - he's got a huge farm of typewriters and chimpanzees that he's training right now.

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
13 May 16

Originally posted by orangutan
Ha!
Giggity.

He's a cut-and-paste kind of listing machine - eventually he'll regurgitate the complete works of Shakespeare - he's got a huge farm of typewriters and chimpanzees that he's training right now.
If you have an original question, I'll provide an original answer.

Read a book!

Moves
13 May 16

Originally posted by orangutan
Ha!
Giggity.

Maybe he's really Edward R. Murrow.

free tazer tickles..

wildly content...

Moves
13 May 16

if jack helped you off a horse, would you help jack off a horse???

Read a book!

Moves
13 May 16
1 edit

Define original. Does a copy/paste post qualify as original?

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
15 May 16

Originally posted by HandyAndy
Define original. Does a copy/paste post qualify as original?
Why not?