General Forum

General Forum

  1. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Joined
    28 Dec '04
    Moves
    52766
    08 Mar '14 15:041 edit
    http://news.yahoo.com/vietnam-spots-oil-slicks-hunt-missing-jet-124630545--finance.html

    My heart goes out to all the relatives and the sure to be dead onboard.

    Makes my little encounter with the deer to be seen in a slightly different light.
  2. Joined
    12 Dec '13
    Moves
    28350
    08 Mar '14 15:35
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    http://news.yahoo.com/vietnam-spots-oil-slicks-hunt-missing-jet-124630545--finance.html

    My heart goes out to all the relatives and the sure to be dead onboard.

    Makes my little encounter with the deer to be seen in a slightly different light.
    Slightly different seems fair. But that doesn't make it less terrifying for you or for your loved ones everywhere.

    It is great that you are here to talk about this today. We have a lot of deer in Wisconsin and we see the horrible results of car deer crashes every year - very scary what you experienced.

    Hard to imagine what it would be like to go to the airport to pick some one up and be ushered into a room instead. Heartbreaking.
  3. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Joined
    28 Dec '04
    Moves
    52766
    08 Mar '14 16:32
    Originally posted by Merlion
    Slightly different seems fair. But that doesn't make it less terrifying for you or for your loved ones everywhere.

    It is great that you are here to talk about this today. We have a lot of deer in Wisconsin and we see the horrible results of car deer crashes every year - very scary what you experienced.

    Hard to imagine what it would be like to go to the airport to pick some one up and be ushered into a room instead. Heartbreaking.
    When they kill all the predator species, the prey species grows almost unbounded. There are literally millions of deer here in Pennsylvania and I bet maybe even more north in your neck of the woods.
  4. Joined
    12 Dec '13
    Moves
    28350
    08 Mar '14 16:42
    The highest number of lobbyists here for increasing the length of hunting seasons and reducing any restrictions on what you can shoot is not the NRA, it is the car insurance companies. They take a beating here (in the autumn especially).
  5. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Joined
    28 Dec '04
    Moves
    52766
    08 Mar '14 17:081 edit
    Originally posted by Merlion
    The highest number of lobbyists here for increasing the length of hunting seasons and reducing any restrictions on what you can shoot is not the NRA, it is the car insurance companies. They take a beating here (in the autumn especially).
    http://phys.org/news/2014-03-deer-proliferation-disrupts-forest-natural.html

    Environmentalists no doubt support hunting too.

    But I was thinking more of natural predators not men.
  6. Joined
    12 Dec '13
    Moves
    28350
    08 Mar '14 17:11
    Yes I knew what you meant 🙂
  7. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Joined
    28 Dec '04
    Moves
    52766
    08 Mar '14 17:28
    Originally posted by Merlion
    Yes I knew what you meant 🙂
    My daughter who lives in Brazil sent me this link, this is a great idea, the insurance companies should go for this kind of thing, wildlife bridge:

    http://imgur.com/frDiZ
  8. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    10313
    08 Mar '14 18:03
    Can you imagine being on a plane that's crashing?
  9. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Joined
    28 Dec '04
    Moves
    52766
    08 Mar '14 19:14
    Originally posted by Trev33
    Can you imagine being on a plane that's crashing?
    That was going through my mind when I heard about the Vietnamese pilot's report. Like the planes that crashed on 911, they knew what was coming.
  10. Joined
    10 May '07
    Moves
    10128
    09 Mar '14 07:44
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    That was going through my mind when I heard about the Vietnamese pilot's report. Like the planes that crashed on 911, they knew what was coming.
    I hardly ever think of danger when I go by car but I do every time I go by plane and yet more people are killed in car crashes, I've heard.
  11. Subscriberdivegeester
    digital entity
    libera te ex inferis
    Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    88238
    09 Mar '14 08:44
    Passengers with stollen passports.
    http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/mar/09/malaysia-airlines-missing-plane-fears-worst
  12. SubscriberKewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    Joined
    20 Jan '09
    Moves
    322046
    09 Mar '14 11:54
    Originally posted by lolof
    I hardly ever think of danger when I go by car but I do every time I go by plane and yet more people are killed in car crashes, I've heard.
    from NBC News - travel tips:

    Air travel is the second-safest mode of mass transportation in the world. This is second only to the escalator and elevator. Your chances of being involved in an aircraft accident are approximately 1 in 11 million. Your chances of being killed in an automobile accident are 1 in 5000. The most dangerous part of your flight is the drive to the airport.

    All airplanes are designed and built to withstand far more stress than occurs in normal flight, including ordinary and extraordinary turbulence. While it is true that a severe storm could damage an aircraft, this is why flights will divert around or cancel due to thunderstorms.

    Ninety-nine percent of turbulence injuries are from unfastened seatbelts, or falling luggage.

    You have more of a chance of dying from the food onboard than being involved in an accident.
  13. Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Joined
    26 Feb '14
    Moves
    1339
    09 Mar '14 12:22
    Originally posted by Kewpie
    from NBC News - travel tips:

    Air travel is the second-safest mode of mass transportation in the world. This is second only to the escalator and elevator. Your chances of being involved in an aircraft accident are approximately 1 in 11 million. Your chances of being killed in an automobile accident are 1 in 5000. The most dangerous part of your flight is th ...[text shortened]...

    You have more of a chance of dying from the food onboard than being involved in an accident.
    all u said is true but 1 crashed car never makes international news unless your Princess Diana.
  14. Joined
    10 May '07
    Moves
    10128
    09 Mar '14 15:27
    Originally posted by Kewpie
    from NBC News - travel tips:

    Air travel is the second-safest mode of mass transportation in the world. This is second only to the escalator and elevator. Your chances of being involved in an aircraft accident are approximately 1 in 11 million. Your chances of being killed in an automobile accident are 1 in 5000. The most dangerous part of your flight is th ...[text shortened]...

    You have more of a chance of dying from the food onboard than being involved in an accident.
    Thank you Kewpie, fun and informative. 🙂
  15. Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Joined
    26 Feb '14
    Moves
    1339
    09 Mar '14 16:17
    Originally posted by Trev33
    Can you imagine being on a plane that's crashing?
    no
Back to Top