1. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    25 Feb '16 15:06
    March has several days for national saints. Ireland rejoices in St Patrick on 17th, but he comes after at least two others!

St David, patron saint of Wales, comes adorned with daffodils and leeks on March 1st. He was a Celtic bishop in the sixth century, renowned for his humility and strict fasting, as well as his hard work and obedience to Christ, spreading the missionary work far and wide in Wales and beyond, as well as for his love of Wales, its language and its people. The cathedral built to commemorate him is exceptionally beautiful; the city of St David's, built in his name on a headland in West Wales, is the smallest cathedral city in Great Britain.

Are you Welsh? Do you have musical gifts passed down from your Welsh ancestry?

Less well known, perhaps, is St Piran, who brought Christianity to Cornwall. Legend has it that he travelled across the sea from Ireland upon a millstone, and landed on the sandy beach at Perran Sands, where he built an oratory that still exists to this day, even though at times it's almost completely submerged by the shifting sand dunes. St Piran is the patron saint of Cornwall and of tin miners.

Cornish tin and hard-rock miners went all over the world and became known as Cousin Jacks. Are you Cornish? Do you still celebrate St Piran's Day with a Cornish pasty?
  2. The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    25 Feb '16 15:38
    Originally posted by Startreader
    March has several days for national saints. Ireland rejoices in St Patrick on 17th, but he comes after at least two others!

St David, patron saint of Wales, comes adorned with daffodils and leeks on March 1st. He was a Celtic bishop in the sixth century, renowned for his humility and strict fasting, as well as his hard work and obedience to Christ, sp ...[text shortened]... wn as Cousin Jacks. Are you Cornish? Do you still celebrate St Piran's Day with a Cornish pasty?
    Am part Welsh, but don't really celebrate St David's Day.

Perhaps i should though appreciate this side of my ancestry more, especially as Wales will not always be with us and is slowly sinking into the sea.

It is of course full of leeks.

😞
  3. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    25 Feb '16 19:21
    Originally posted by Ghost of a Duke

Perhaps i should though appreciate this side of my ancestry more, especially as Wales will not always be with us and is slowly sinking into the sea.

😞
    GD, was your "ancestry" in any way related to Dylan Thomas?
  4. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    25 Feb '16 20:07
    Originally posted by Ghost of a Duke

😞
    I'm a mixture of English, Welsh and Irish, so a very strong musical strain and obviously lots of Celtic.

My Welsh ancestry is from the mountainous area very near Mount Snowdon, which might explain why I love mountains, moorland and wild open spaces.
  5. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    25 Feb '16 21:11
    I'm a mixture of English, Welsh and Irish, so a very strong musical strain and obviously lots of Celtic.

My Welsh ancestry is from the mountainous area very near Mount Snowdon, which might explain why I love mountains, moorland and wild open spaces.
    Startreader, you certainly have an abundance of "wild open spaces" on this internet public forum as of today, February 25, 2016.
  6. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    19 Mar '16 07:42

St David, patron saint of Wales, comes adorned with daffodils and leeks on March 1st. He was a Celtic bishop in the sixth century, renowned for his humility and strict fasting, as well as his hard work and obedience to Christ, sp ...[text shortened]... wn as Cousin Jacks. Are you Cornish? Do you still celebrate St Piran's Day with a Cornish pasty?
    St. Patrick's day came and went and nothing to be seen of it on RHP...
  7. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    19 Mar '16 08:02
    Originally posted by Ponderable
    St. Patrick's day came and went and nothing to be seen of it on RHP...
    A thread dedicated to this year's St. Patrick's Day existed here on RHP on the day, it existed prior to the day, and it has continued to exist since the day came and went. Is this not good enough in the circumstances? 🙂
  8. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    19 Mar '16 08:18
    Originally posted by FMF
    A thread dedicated to this year's St. Patrick's Day existed here on RHP on the day, it existed prior to the day, and it has continued to exist since the day came and went. Is this not good enough in the circumstances? 🙂
    I stand corrected...

I seem to have missed it 🙁
  9. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    19 Mar '16 12:19
    Originally posted by Ponderable
    I stand corrected...

I seem to have missed it 🙁
    Didn't miss much.

Was mainly a bunch of folks bragging about their Irish roots, like every other St. Patrick's Day thread ever created.
  10. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    19 Mar '16 12:38
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    Didn't miss much.

Was mainly a bunch of folks bragging about their Irish roots, like every other St. Patrick's Day thread ever created.
    Thread 167660

I just looked at that thread again. I don't really see how what people were discussing can be described as "bragging". Which aspects of the chatter did you think were "bragging"?
  11. Account suspended
    Moves
    19 Mar '16 13:13
    St Robbies day is the 17th of September note it in your diary less you miss the momentous occasion.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree