1. Account suspended
    Moves
    11 Dec '16 16:35
    There are bands which were "only" popular and those who were "only" influental, and small group of bands who were both.

Pixies and Nirvana are in the latter group.

Many would pick Radiohead at once but Radiohedad amongst main stream rock are like Clash amongst punk - all "love" Clash but thez don't have a singl success of their own, their bigest hits are either covers or menaingless reggae political Sandinistic songs.

So, neither of then, not Radiohead noor Clash do not have "a string" for rock'nroll.

Oasis are second grade Radiohead, and Franz Ferdinand are third grade Radiohead - they have even less of "rock'n'roll string in them selves", they are simply one-tone peasant rhythm dancing in the dark. They are saved bz loudness thanks to their smart producers.

Kaiser Chiefs sre fourth grade Radioehead,

There are fine cute minor popular little bands, such Ash, Green Day, Godfathers, Cure, Cult - who, however lack capacity for deeper impact and more versatile creativity.

They have their niche anyway in music world and can sell let's say ca, 500 tickets around every place in free cultured non'Islamic world.

So, it means Pixies and Nirvana.
    And that's it.
  2. Account suspended
    Moves
    11 Dec '16 18:05
    Originally posted by vandervelde
    There are bands which were "only" popular and those who were "only" influental, and small group of bands who were both.

Pixies and Nirvana are in the latter group.

Many would pick Radiohead at once but Radiohedad amongst main stream rock are like Clash amongst punk - all "love" Clash but thez don't have a singl success of their own, their bigest h ...[text shortened]... ee cultured non'Islamic world.

So, it means [b]Pixies
    and Nirvana.
    And that's it.[/b]
    Nirvana was intended to carry on the punk ethos but when they became huge they realised that he had become the very thing they did not want to be and Kurt asked Courtney to help him kill himself which she gladly did. Still grunge was born and the kids sucked it up. Greenday are kind of post grunge and lack the rawness of Nirvana, they just not that believable either although they have some catchy tunes. Nickelback were like that too until everybody realised that they were total fakers and actually wanted to be elite rock stars. Words fail me when I think of the Chilli peppers, Pearl Jam and all those other wannabe hippies.

Oasis are the most enduring although Noel is way better than Liam and was glad to get rid of the whinger, Ocean Colour Scene, The Stone Roses, The Happy Mondays. I personally liked The Verve who wanted something deeper but could never quite express it. I cannot listen to Radiohead, the Kaiser chiefs, Franz Ferdinand, they seem bland.

All the kids were diggin hip hop until Tupac was killed and it seemed to die and now they are strung out for something else. There was a gig in Glasgow the other day, Oliver Helden a D.J. 9000 people were there all bouncing to lazer beams and drums and remixes in a kind of glorified aerobics workout class, Oliver went away richer and the kids went away happy. I cannot understand the appeal, it was not human enough for me, but I'm an old guy that never heard Taylor Swift or seen an episode of The game of Thrones, so what do i know.
  3. Standard memberJerryH
    Hyperbole Happy
    Moves
    11 Dec '16 18:16
    Would music change much if the Pixies and Nirvana were lifted right out of history?
  4. Account suspended
    Moves
    11 Dec '16 19:581 edit
    Originally posted by JerryH
    Would music change much if the Pixies and Nirvana were lifted right out of history?
    Not only music, but many of RHP members would not have been born.
  5. Joined
    15 Dec '03
    Moves
    11 Dec '16 20:45
    Originally posted by vandervelde
    Not only music, but many of RHP members would not have been born.
    And I am too old. Now if ya wanna talk Jimmy, Janis, Eric, BB, etc. we can talk about real music.
  6. Mar-a-Lago
    Moves
    11 Dec '16 21:09
    REM
  7. Joined
    12 Nov '06
    Moves
    11 Dec '16 21:58
    Alice in chains
  8. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    11 Dec '16 22:32
    Who are the Pixies?! 😕
  9. Standard memberVelns
    Latvian Trickster
    Krell lab
    Moves
    11 Dec '16 22:47
    Originally posted by BigDoggProblem
    Who are the Pixies?! 😕
    A band the OP likes.
  10. Standard memberSeitse
    Doug Stanhope
    That's Why I Drink
    Moves
    11 Dec '16 22:53
    Rock was born and died with Rocket 88.
  11. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    12 Dec '16 15:30
    Originally posted by BigDoggProblem
    Who are the Pixies?! 😕
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pixies

there are two listening examples
  12. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    13 Dec '16 04:31
    This is by no means a list by ranking, nor comprehensive. Just some names off the top of my head.

Soundgarden
    Tool
    Pearl Jam
    Nirvana (most of it an atonal wreck, but can't deny the influential bit)
    The Offspring
    NOFX
    Metallica (not my fave but again, like Nirvana, undeniably influential)

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree