1. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    27 Jul '19 09:45
    https://edition.cnn.com/2019/07/25/us/halloween-date-petition-trnd/index.html

So some people are trying to move Halloween. As is to be expected a majroity of people doesn't know ahta the day signifies in the first place. And no wonder to move a holiday into a more economic slot...
  2. SubscriberThe Gravedigger
    Jack Torrance
    Overlook Hotel
    Moves
    27 Jul '19 12:26
    Its all linked in with Brexit.
  3. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    27 Jul '19 16:12
    @the-gravedigger said
    Its all linked in with Brexit.
    LOL....

-VR
  4. Joined
    06 May '15
    Moves
    27 Jul '19 17:57
    @ponderable said
    https://edition.cnn.com/2019/07/25/us/halloween-date-petition-trnd/index.html

So some people are trying to move Halloween. As is to be expected a majroity of people doesn't know ahta the day signifies in the first place. And no wonder to move a holiday into a more economic slot...
    In the USA, adults hold their Halloween parties on the last Friday or Saturday of October anyway, as a practical matter. Maybe some of the children's parties are also done the same, instead of on the 31st.

We do still have trick-or-treat on the 31st (where little beggars go door-to-door to collect unhealthy sugary handouts). As for me, I keep the front lights off and pretend not to be home.

Halloween is not such a big shopping holiday as secular Christmas, so moving the date doesn't make much difference economically -- it's just better for scheduling.

Is secular Halloween even celebrated elsewhere? I thought it was primarily a US holiday.
  5. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    27 Jul '19 23:09
    @caesar-salad said
    Is secular Halloween even celebrated elsewhere? I thought it was primarily a US holiday.
    Thanks to the big stores it has become a thing in UK and NZ.
    Not celebrated 25 years ago but steadily growing I think.

Looks like I might be doing my very first "Trick or Treat" this year!
  6. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    28 Jul '19 06:031 edit
    @caesar-salad said
    As for me, I keep the front lights off and pretend not to be home.
    We used to try this tactic but I became concerned about the more rogue element of the local “children” damaging my car so for a few years we “entered into the fun” and began plying the revolting beasties with super-high sugar content sweets so that the would go home and bounce off of Mummy & Daddies walls.

Then we moved to a place with just three houses in a sort of courtyard and no dedicated streetlight so we just turned our PIR lights off and hunkered down. This worked pretty well as the couple opposite were older and their offspring had left home, now only turning up occasionally with their own brood of revolting progeny.

Since then we have moved again and now live in a small seaside town with no roadsigns and where children are banned. It’s bliss.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree