1. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    23 Feb '21 14:20
    @fmf said
    Literature has vanquished you and your music.
    People claim a picture can say a 1000 words! 😉

-VR
  2. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    23 Feb '21 14:25
    Literature only speaks to those who have intelligence to understand and appreciate it, and who understand the language it is written in.

Music is available to anyone and understandable on a visceral level. It speaks to anyone who hears it, even some animals. It penetrates the barrier of language.
  3. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    23 Feb '21 14:27
    @very-rusty said
    People claim a picture can say a 1000 words! 😉

-VR
    Music can transcend words.
  4. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    23 Feb '21 14:28
    @suzianne said
    Music can transcend words.
    A picture can't transcend words is what your saying?

-VR
  5. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    23 Feb '21 14:371 edit
    @very-rusty said
    A picture can't transcend words is what your saying?

-VR
    It's far more difficult. A picture is limited by some of the same constraints as language. Music is not.

You see a painting of a red balloon. You think, "It's a red balloon." There must be a translation. Music is injected directly to the feeling centers of the brain, bypassing the translation pathways. What color is clarinet music? What is the shape of piano music?
  6. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    23 Feb '21 14:45
    @suzianne said
    It's far more difficult. A picture is limited by some of the same constraints as language. Music is not.

You see a painting of a red balloon. You think, "It's a red balloon." There must be a translation. Music is injected directly to the feeling centers of the brain, bypassing the translation pathways. What color is clarinet music? What is the shape of piano music?
    I was thinking of a picture with much more in it than a red balloon. Try thinking bigger with more in the picture Suzie Q!!! 😉

-VR
  7. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    23 Feb '21 14:48
    @very-rusty said
    I was thinking of a picture with much more in it than a red balloon. Try thinking bigger with more in the picture Suzie Q!!! 😉

-VR
    Trying to keep it simple for you, Rusty, but if you want to argue, then enjoy yourself.
  8. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    23 Feb '21 14:50
    @suzianne said
    Trying to keep it simple for you, Rusty, but if you want to argue, then enjoy yourself.
    No you didn't understand what I was talking about if your are comparing what I was saying to the color of a balloon! 🙂 Who is arguing, why must you turn every conversation into something it is not?

-VR
  9. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    23 Feb '21 14:52
    @very-rusty said
    No you didn't understand what I was talking about
    Never a truer word spoken.
  10. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    23 Feb '21 14:59
    @ghost-of-a-duke said
    Never a truer word spoken.
    Sarcasm is that all you have goad?

-VR
  11. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    23 Feb '21 15:00
    @very-rusty said

-VR
    Even a painting like Bosch's The Garden of Earthly Delights, with an amazing amount of detail and subject matter, requires translation, even more so than the simple red balloon. One must grasp it in its entirety and understand how its components come together to tell the story. To tell the story. Music is not like this. Music is felt on an entirely different level than any written word, or translated picture. As I said, it transcends words.
  12. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    23 Feb '21 15:081 edit
    @suzianne said
    Even a painting like Bosch's The Garden of Earthly Delights, with an amazing amount of detail and subject matter, requires translation, even more so than the simple red balloon. One must grasp it in its entirety and understand how its components come together to tell the story. To tell the story. Music is not like this. Music is felt on an entirely different level than any written word, or translated picture. As I said, it transcends words.
    Yes Suzie Q, but you get the decision on the picture and what it is telling you. You may see a picture one way someone else in a different way. It is the same with music, some of us may like certain kinds of music where others don't. It is all a matter of choice and taste.

-VR
  13. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    23 Feb '21 15:12
    @very-rusty said
    Yes Suzie Q, but you get the decision on the picture and what it is telling you. You may see a picture one way someone else in a different way. It is the same with music, some of us may like certain kinds of music where others don't. It is all a matter of choice and taste.

-VR
    This is not debatable. But listen to what you're saying. "What it is telling you." It is telling you something. It enters the brain in an entirely different way than music. It requires a translation to make sense of it. This makes it inferior. Music requires no such translation to be understandable. Music goes directly to the feeling centers of the brain, to the areas of emotion, and far faster than the translation pathways allow the written word in.
  14. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    23 Feb '21 15:17
    @suzianne said
    This is not debatable. But listen to what you're saying. "What it is telling you." It is telling you something. It enters the brain in an entirely different way than music. It requires a translation to make sense of it. This makes it inferior. Music requires no such translation to be understandable. Music goes directly to the feeling centers of the brain, to the areas of emotion, and far faster than the translation pathways allow the written word in.
    You say it needs no debate but keep debating it?

The music may come across to you one way and to someone else entirely different the same as a picture does. 😉

-VR
  15. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    23 Feb '21 15:26
    @very-rusty said
    You say it needs no debate but keep debating it?

The music may come across to you one way and to someone else entirely different the same as a picture does. 😉

-VR
    You're forcing me to lose interest in trying to convince you.

You don't get it and maybe you never will.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go listen to Grieg's Piano Concerto in A minor.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree