1. Joined
    10 Nov '12
    Moves
    23 Oct '14 02:07
    I'm planning to buy one or two tracks on the iTunes Store this week. As this is an event of unprecedented profligacy for me, I just know you'll all be excited enough to nominate one or two tracks that you think I should really own. I might just kickstart the world economy in the process 😉 .

Rules:

The track can be from any time in the history of music, any culture.
    But no heavy metal, gangsta rap, punk rock, or boy or girl bands (The Beatles are OK but I pretty much own everything from the Beatles that I will ever like).
    Electronic music is accepted but I don't think much of techno, and the really weird stuff like Gabba is out of the question.
    Even though I don't want manufactured boy and girl band music, X Factor garbage etc., don't be afraid to nominate pop songs if you really think they're worth buying.

I have a massive classical and opera library but please go ahead and nominate something classical if you want: there's naturally still a huge amount I don't have.
  2. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    23 Oct '14 02:39
    Originally posted by NoEarthlyReason
    I just know you'll all be excited enough to nominate one or two tracks that you think I should really own.
    "Dark Star" from the Grateful Dead's 1969 live album 'Live Dead'.

"Sweet Thing" from David Bowie's 1974 live album 'David Live'.
  3. Joined
    10 Nov '12
    Moves
    23 Oct '14 02:48
    Originally posted by FMF
    "Dark Star" from the Grateful Dead's 1969 live album 'Live Dead'.

"Sweet Thing" from David Bowie's 1974 live album 'David Live'.
    I've never listened to the Grateful Dead -- I always assumed they had been too stoned to sing and play and tune. That's an album-only track though, and I didn't much enjoy the 30 second iTunes clip of Dark Star, I'm afraid.

Unfortunately, Bowie's one of my least favourite successful pop musicians; I think you other love him or you hate him.

Interestingly, his son, who changed his name from Zowie (can't think why), directed the film Moon which really impressed me, so creativity seems to run in the family.
  4. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    23 Oct '14 03:22
    I just know you'll all be excited enough to nominate one or two tracks that you think I should really own.
    "Earn Enough For Us" by XTC from their 1986 album "Skylarking".

"She Wants to Share Her Magic" by Stephen Duffy from his 1993 album "Music In Colours".
  5. Standard memberChessPraxis
    Cowboy From Hell
    American West
    Moves
    23 Oct '14 03:261 edit
    I'm planning to buy one or two tracks on the iTunes Store this week. As this is an event of unprecedented profligacy for me, I just know you'll all be excited enough to nominate one or two tracks that you think I should really own. I might just kickstart the world economy in the process 😉 .

Rules:

The track can be from any time in the h ...[text shortened]... nd nominate something classical if you want: there's naturally still a huge amount I don't have.
    No Metal?? 😞
    I like both kinds of music, Metal and C&W. Give these a listen, they're right purdy.

YouTube

YouTube
  6. Joined
    10 Nov '12
    Moves
    23 Oct '14 03:364 edits
    Originally posted by ChessPraxis
    No Metal?? 😞
    I like both kinds of music, Metal and C&W. Give these a listen, they're right purdy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MUL68ZeclcA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4xp2lgiAjY
    That's actually not bad, but I didn't like the chorus that much. (Remember I'm British, so "not bad" isn't quite what it might sound like to you 😉 ) . I can see myself buying two or three C&W tracks at some point, or even a whole album's worth, but I really want those tracks that clearly represent the apogee of the style -- something that will remain fixed in time for a long period -- or that have some indefinable attraction for me.

Edit: that's for the first link, I've just spotted the second one.

I noticed the second one sounded a bit like (to me) a less-good Crosby, Stills and Nash (and Young) sound, and saw the link to one of their songs (without Young), so I'm giving that a play (Southern Cross). Do they count as country & western? I'd forgotten about them but I think there's something magic about their sound; maybe I could buy several of their songs.
  7. Standard memberpawnpaw
    Please Pay Attention
    Lethabong
    Moves
    23 Oct '14 04:11
    "Teach your children well" Crosby Stills Nash
    "Heart of Gold" Neil Young.
    Try them, goood for the soul.
  8. Joined
    10 Nov '12
    Moves
    23 Oct '14 04:30
    Originally posted by pawnpaw
    "Teach your children well" Crosby Stills Nash
    "Heart of Gold" Neil Young.
    Try them, goood for the soul.
    I like both -- good for the soul, indeed. They're strong contenders and they're on my wishlist if I decide get them at a later date.
  9. Standard memberChessPraxis
    Cowboy From Hell
    American West
    Moves
    23 Oct '14 05:56
    That's actually not bad, but I didn't like the chorus that much. (Remember I'm British, so "not bad" isn't quite what it might sound like to you 😉 ) . I can see myself buying two or three C&W tracks at some point, or even a whole album's worth, but I really want those tracks that clearly represent the apogee of the style -- something that will remai ...[text shortened]... but I think there's something magic about their sound; maybe I could buy several of their songs.
    I think they were considered Folk Rock at the time. But they definitely have a country sound.
  10. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    23 Oct '14 06:204 edits
    Piano Man Billy Joel

YouTube

Back story, Joel was a piano man in a LA bar, waiting for his contract to come through. Edit: of course he created this afterwards.

Try this one too:

YouTube

Bye by American Pie, a plausible back story.
  11. Joined
    10 Nov '12
    Moves
    23 Oct '14 06:401 edit
    Originally posted by JS357
    Piano Man Billy Joel

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gxEPV4kolz0

Back story, Joel was a piano man in a LA bar, waiting for his contract to come through. Edit: of course he created this afterwards.
    Wow, I never knew that was Billy Joel -- weirdly, I thought it was Elton John! Very Bob Dylan-like harmonic-playing too... It's a fairly good tune, and probably worth knowing if I was performing gigs, but I've got no plans in that direction at the moment. I might check out some more of his stuff.

American Pie is a definite possibility.
  12. Standard memberredbadger
    Suzzie says Badger
    is Racist Bastard
    Moves
    23 Oct '14 08:54

Rules:

The track can be from any time in the h ...[text shortened]... nd nominate something classical if you want: there's naturally still a huge amount I don't have.
    Ghost by Japan/werewolf Cat Power
  13. Joined
    24 Apr '10
    Moves
    23 Oct '14 10:11
    Telegraph Road by Dire Straits

Echoes by Pink Floyd

If it's only two tracks, you'd better get some long ones 🙂
  14. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    23 Oct '14 11:47
    Originally posted by Great King Rat

Echoes by Pink Floyd

For sheer emotional power, try this: Dimming of the Day, a song by Richard Thompson and sung by Bonnie Raitt, with Richard on vocals and both on guitars. Except you don't have to go to Itunes, I can give it to you for free, just go to this link, put on some good headphones and just watch and listen:

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=dimming%20of%20the%20day%20bonnie%20raitt
  15. Joined
    10 Nov '12
    Moves
    23 Oct '14 16:131 edit
    Originally posted by Great King Rat

Echoes by Pink Floyd

Played Echoes to death when I was a teenager; now I can't stand Pink Floyd. Dire Straits isn't really the style of music I like, even though I think Mark Knopfler is really admirable.

Tracks over 10 minutes long are almost always album-only tracks anyway (as are these two).

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree