1. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    22 Sep '15 11:042 edits
    Name something; anything, brief definition and explanation of why it is either of interest, importance now, will be in the future, was in the past or whenever, whatever...
    No rules will be copy/pasted for divergences; please feel free to indulge whatever licence you choose. I'll kick off as it's my OP so seems reasonable:

Name: Paxos

Definition: A small (actually tiny - 7 x 3 miles max) and very beautiful Greek island situated in the Ionian sea a few miles south of Corfu

Explanation: Just returned from second 1 week holiday there this year and I highly recommend it to both Euro travelers and other should they be passing through. Classical idyllic Greek island with about 30 tiny beaches with turquoise water on the east side and 200 foot vertical sandstone cliffs, caves and caverns on the east, friendly, relatively inexpensive.
    Best chill-spot..Roxy Bar, Loggos http://www.paxosroxibar.gr/index.php

http://tinyurl.com/Paxos-images

Yamas 🙂
  2. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    22 Sep '15 14:07
    Originally posted by divegeester
    Name something; anything, brief definition and explanation of why it is either of interest, importance now, will be in the future, was in the past or whenever, whatever...
    No rules will be copy/pasted for divergences; please feel free to indulge whatever licence you choose. I'll kick off as it's my OP so seems reasonable:

[b]Name
    : Paxos

De ...[text shortened]... ttp://www.paxosroxibar.gr/index.php

[b]http://tinyurl.com/Paxos-images

Yamas 🙂[/b]
    Name: Sushi.

Definition Popular Japanese food.

Explanation: Without doubt my favourite food on the planet, but not easy to come by in outer London. Be warned the sushi you can buy at Marks and Spencers is 'not' sushi. - You've only really had sushi if you've eaten it freshly made and done by somebody who knows what they're doing. (The Japanese Centre in Piccadilly is always worth a visit).
  3. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    23 Sep '15 05:56
    Originally posted by Ghost of a Duke
    [b]Name: Sushi.

Definition Popular Japanese food.

Explanation: Without doubt my favourite food on the planet, but not easy to come by in outer London. Be warned the sushi you can buy at Marks and Spencers is 'not' sushi. - You've only really had sushi if you've eaten it freshly made and done by somebody who knows what they're doing. (The Japanese Centre in Piccadilly is always worth a visit).[/b]
    Good rec, I'll try to remember that., although I'm not a big fan of sushi, probably because I've eaten it from M&S.

Name: Davidstow

Definition: type of mature English cheddar cheese

Explanation: real cheese! Awesome flavour. Cost effective and a great accompaniment for many dishes. I only like cheddar cheese although I will eat many other types such as Brie or Stilton. Cheddar is, I think, the king of cheeses, and Davidstow the perfect balance of flavour, texture and moreishness.
  4. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    23 Sep '15 06:16
    Name, Definition, Explaination
    Name: Rachmat Gobel

Definition: Former Indonesian Trade Minister

Explanation: He appeared to be more enamoured of restricting trade and commerce than encouraging it. Mr Gobel banned imports of second-hand clothes in case they spread AIDS. Then he banned convenience stores from selling beer. This resulted in Bintang, Indonesia’s biggest brewer, experiencing a 42% drop in profits. Then he decided to slash cattle imports which sent the price of beef soaring because local producers are nowhere near able to step in and make up the shortfall. He has been replaced, and bottles of Bintang are now available again at my nearby Circle K.
  5. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    24 Sep '15 03:41
    Name, Definition, Explanation
    Name: Nescafe Pas

Definition: Individual one-cup sachets of instant coffee.

Explanation: The powder consists of coffee, milk and sugar. The word "pas" refers to its strength - some people find it's a bit strong unless some real milk is added or extra hot water. Others might think it a bit too sweet. One sachet costs about 3 pence (UK) or 5 cents (US). Out of the many kinds of instant coffee available here, it probably tastes most like a real cup of coffee.
  6. Standard memberSeitse
    Doug Stanhope
    That's Why I Drink
    Moves
    24 Sep '15 08:48
    Name Ennui

Definition A feeling of listlessness and dissatisfaction arising from a lack of occupation or excitement.

Explanation The state of human existence today. Pretty much unavoidable as life has become dull and tedious, ironically caused by the overstimulation needed to maintain and further overconsumption.
  7. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    24 Sep '15 10:49
    Name, Definition, Explaination
    Name: Idul Adha

Definition: It is the "Feast of Sacrifice" and is one of the two annual religious holidays celebrated by Muslims all around the world, the other one being Idul Fitri at the end of the month of fasting called Ramadan.

Explanation: "It honors the willingness of Abraham to sacrifice his son, as an act of submission to God's command, before God then intervened, through his angel Jibra'il and informs him that his sacrifice has already been accepted. The meat from the sacrificed animal is preferred to be divided into three parts. The family retains one third of the share; another third is given to relatives, friends and neighbors; and the remaining third is given to the poor and needy." wiki

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree