I have tissues babe.
  3. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Moves
    18 May '14 10:50
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    I have tissues babe.
    I use tissues dude has she an issue with my misuse of tissuues?
  4. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    18 May '14 11:58
    Originally posted by coquette
    pick a finger

stick your thumb in it

experts only

masters only

grandmasters only

great grandmasters only

honest people only

liars only

truth seekers

smelly toes

musicians
    truth be known, if this forum such as it is were fractured or significantly changed we'd miss it and attempt to create it again.
  5. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    18 May '14 14:02
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    truth be known, if this forum such as it is were fractured or significantly changed we'd miss it and attempt to create it again.
    I think we have reached critical mass for a "Beating dead horses forum" and a "Preaching to the choir forum". I would also reserve one forum for youtube links, otherwise banned at all other forums.
  6. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    18 May '14 14:19
    Originally posted by moonbus
    I think we have reached critical mass for a "Beating dead horses forum" and a "Preaching to the choir forum". I would also reserve one forum for youtube links, otherwise banned at all other forums.
    "... otherwise banned at all other forums.": except private club forums.
  7. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    19 May '14 06:32
    GB: " except private club forums "

"I wouldn't belong to a club that would have me as member." --Marx
  8. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    19 May '14 09:10
    GB: " except private club forums "

"I wouldn't belong to a club that would have me as member." --Marx
    Years ago when I was encouraging my son Eric to consider joining Mensa he quipped: "Dad, why would I want to join a club that needed me?" No idea if he was paraphrasing Marx or not but will ask him next email or call. Thanks, moonbus.
  9. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    19 May '14 20:45
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    Years ago when I was encouraging my son Eric to consider joining Mensa he quipped: "Dad, why would I want to join a club that needed me?" No idea if he was paraphrasing Marx or not but will ask him next email or call. Thanks, moonbus.
    Nice anecdote about Mensa. They like to think of themselves as the most exclusive club in the world--only open to the top 0.x % of the population who pass their entrance IQ test. I belong to the even more exclusive club of those who passed their test (I wrote them a letter explaining the errors in it but they never replied) and then rejected their invitation to join. Send my regards to Eric; we're a club of two now.
  10. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    20 May '14 00:21
    Nice anecdote about Mensa. They like to think of themselves as the most exclusive club in the world--only open to the top 0.x % of the population who pass their entrance IQ test. I belong to the even more exclusive club of those who passed their test (I wrote them a letter explaining the errors in it but they never replied) and then rejected their invitation to join. Send my regards to Eric; we're a club of two now.
    Definitely will mention your simpatico to my son. Curious as to whether "the errors" were in substance or format (or other).
  11. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    20 May '14 08:14
    "Curious as to whether "the errors" were in substance or format (or other)."

There is a type of question often seen on IQ tests of the following form: "any integers x,y,z--what is the next number in the series?" And you're given a selection of a,b,or c.

There was a proof published in the 1970s that it cannot be proven that no possible algorithm will produce any next number, given x,y,z. Therefore, any answer is correct--a,b,c,d or even x,y,or z--given some possible algorithm. I anticipate the probable reply: 'find the most likely next number in the series.' To which I say, pfui and PFUI again! Intelligence is not about finding what anybody else would most likely find, but about inventing something nobody else ever thought of. If Mensa is looking for genius, they should be testing other things than the obvious.

Example: what is the next number in the series 1,2,3? If you say 4, you're not a waltzer, because the next numbers would 1,2,3, 1,2,3, etc.

It is also possible, on some algorithm, that there is no next number, that the series is complete as is.

I called these observations to the attention of Mensa but never received a reply.

Way off topic, this. Maybe we should start a new thread about Uber-nerdiness.
  12. Standard membercaissad4
    Child of the Novelty
    San Antonio, Texas
    Moves
    20 May '14 08:17
    We are a club of 3. I also turned them down.
  13. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    20 May '14 10:551 edit
    Originally posted by caissad4
    Bravo! Shall I inform Eric that the declination minority's impromptu online lounge is becoming a tad crowded? lol
  14. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    20 May '14 11:001 edit
    "Curious as to whether "the errors" were in substance or format (or other)."

There is a type of question often seen on IQ tests of the following form: "any integers x,y,z--what is the next number in the series?" And you're given a selection of a,b,or c.

There was a proof published in the 1970s that it cannot be proven that no possible algorithm will pr ...[text shortened]... ceived a reply.

Way off topic, this. Maybe we should start a new thread about Uber-nerdiness.
    Out of my depth, moonbus, though I'm fascinated with the concept; any other examples of Mensa's 'testing for the obvious'?
  15. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    20 May '14 11:07
    Originally posted by caissad4
    Whoopee! We be three! We can snub our noses at them all now.

Someone who writes symphonies at age three is very likely to score well on IQ tests, but scoring well on an IQ test is a poor indicator of whether one is likely to write a symphony in the next three years. I came to the conclusion that IQ tests test the ability to take IQ tests and nothing more.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree