18 Dec '15 11:50
    Originally posted by FMF
    Anyone watching:

Childhood's End
    The Expanse
    Minority Report
    Limitless

Anything good catch your attention?
    I have watched the first episode of The Expanse ... looking forward to the next.
    Minority report is crap
    Looking forward to Childhood's End because I am a Arthur C. Clarke fan, but am afraid of a disappointment
    Don't know limitless.

Watched a few episodes of "The man in the high castle", which is, I think, very well done
  4. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    18 Dec '15 11:54
    Originally posted by Kegge
    Watched a few episodes of "The man in the high castle", which is, I think, very well done
    Agreed.

Looking forward to Childhood's End because I am a Arthur C. Clarke fan, but am afraid of a disappointment

I've seen the first episode and it's excellent, and, not being a consumer of Arthur C. Clarke, I don't run the risk of being disappointed on that front.
  5. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    18 Dec '15 12:144 edits
    Originally posted by Kegge
    I have watched the first episode of The Expanse ... looking forward to the next.
    Minority report is crap
    Don't know limitless.

Been watching 'limitless', about a drug that gives you an IQ of a thousand, based on a made for TV movie, I think by the same name. The original protagonist is now a force behind the action of the new character, who has overcome the bad side effects of the drug that makes him super smart. That character comes across as a bit flippant at times but it is a decent show, love interests of course. Both shows are from a book 'The dark Fields' by Alan Glynn.

Childhood's end, read the book decades ago, so may be jaded when it comes to the movie. I'll still watch it though🙂

I read Weir's The Martian, don't know if I will be able to see the movie on the big screen before it is out of theaters. Every weekend something comes up preventing that.

I didn't hear about 'expanse'. Anyone know what network it is on?

Didn't hear about 'the 100' either. It seems to me to have a weakness in the plot since people living in space stations would have had access to very sophisticated science gear that would have been able to tell pretty well the habitability of Earth after a nuclear war, especially 100 years later. A decent telescope with spectrometers would have been able to measure the levels of nuclear materials in the air and ground and they would have found those places where they didn't touch. There would be places on Earth where even a nuclear war would leave untouched.

I would have made it more interesting as a quest thing, they find a habitable zone but their landers can only land say 2,000 km away from the safe zone, landing and trouble ensues......
  6. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    18 Dec '15 23:35
    Originally posted by FMF
    Anyone watching:

Childhood's End
    The Expanse
    Minority Report
    Limitless

Limitless was very entertaining. Not really sci-fi though.
  7. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    18 Dec '15 23:41
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    Limitless was very entertaining. Not really sci-fi though.
    Doesn't the existence - and role in the story - of the fictitious drug NZT-48 make it science fiction?
  8. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    19 Dec '15 02:022 edits
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    Been watching 'limitless', about a drug that gives you an IQ of a thousand, based on a made for TV movie, I think by the same name. The original protagonist is now a force behind the action of the new character, who has overcome the bad side effects of the drug that makes him super smart. That character comes across as a bit flippant at times but it is a de ...[text shortened]... eir landers can only land say 2,000 km away from the safe zone, landing and trouble ensues......
    The Expanse is on the Syfy channel, but you can catch aired episodes on their website.
  9. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    19 Dec '15 08:17
    Originally posted by FMF
    Anyone watching:

Childhood's End
    The Expanse
    Minority Report
    Limitless

Three out of four isn't bad.

I am watching The Expanse. I read the first book, so it holds my interest. (Since they've said they're doing a book per season, I have a while to finish the second book.) It's pretty faithful to the book so far, but that's to be expected since the two guys who wrote it are the exec producers. Good production value and the sets are like I envisioned while reading. I get the feeling the show is not too friendly to people who don't know the story though.

Childhood's End I managed to see Part 2 of three. Not bad for what I saw. I wish I had seen the whole thing.

Limitless, I saw the movie (with Bradley Cooper? ), so I get the storyline, but I haven't seen the show yet.
  10. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    19 Dec '15 08:18
    Originally posted by FMF
    Other recent ones:

Dark Matter
    Killjoys
    The 100
    Humans
    Defiance
    Can't say I'm even familiar with any of these.
  11. Subscriberptobler
    Patzer
    Canberra
    Moves
    19 Dec '15 08:19
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    Can't say I'm even familiar with any of these.
    I suppose we're all deliberately avoiding mentioning the latest installment of The Fairy Story Set in Space?
  12. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    19 Dec '15 08:21
    Originally posted by FMF
    Doesn't the existence - and role in the story - of the fictitious drug NZT-48 make it science fiction?
    I would call it sci-fi. Science Fiction. It qualifies.
  13. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    19 Dec '15 08:25
    Originally posted by ptobler
    I suppose we're all deliberately avoiding mentioning the latest installment of The Fairy Story Set in Space?
    I haven't seen it yet, so as I mentioned in another thread, if I see any spoilers here, I will hunt the person down and hurt them.

And FYI, the term is Space Opera, not Fairy Story.
  14. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    19 Dec '15 11:04
    Originally posted by FMF
    Technically. But all drama is based on "what if".
    The science element of Limitless was minimal,
    it wasn't even extrapolated into the near future.

However I see that it was nominated for the 2012
    Saturn Awards, but lost to Rise of the Planet of the Apes.
  15. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    19 Dec '15 13:25
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    I read Weir's The Martian, don't know if I will be able to see the movie on the big screen before it is out of theaters. Every weekend something comes up preventing that.
    I had just started the book when it came out. I saw the film and now I'm reading the rest of the book. I'm glad I did this, because I would've spent the entire movie saying "The book was better." Now I'm finishing up the book saying, "ok, this is better than the movie."

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree