1. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    07 Jul '17 14:22
    https://techxplore.com/news/2017-07-mechanical-thumb-abilities.html

Makes me wonder if genetics could be modified to do the same but for real with real flesh and blood extra thumb? Would love to see how it effects my guitar playing or piano!
  2. Standard memberHandyAndy
    Read a book!
    Moves
    07 Jul '17 14:32
    Originally posted by sonhouse

Makes me wonder if genetics could be modified to do the same but for real with real flesh and blood extra thumb? Would love to see how it effects my guitar playing or piano!
    Or hitching rides? ๐Ÿ˜‰
  3. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    07 Jul '17 14:36

I think you overestimate a bit the possibilities of genetics at this Point.

We are happy to know the general influence a gene is exerting on the body System. Plus mostly the genes are distributed over the DNA quite a bit, so we don't really know yet what alterations lead to which results.
    And adding a new feature to a fody might be a bit trickier still than just to choose eye-colour ๐Ÿ˜€
  4. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    07 Jul '17 15:48
    Originally posted by Ponderable
    I think you overestimate a bit the possibilities of genetics at this Point.

We are happy to know the general influence a gene is exerting on the body System. Plus mostly the genes are distributed over the DNA quite a bit, so we don't really know yet what alterations lead to which results.
    And adding a new feature to a fody might be a bit trickier still than just to choose eye-colour ๐Ÿ˜€
    Well sure, in THIS century, century 22? 23? Of course if there ever was such a genetic change to humans it would require changes to the brain, adding brain cells to the matrix that would allow using the new thumb as easily as our regular one. Maybe a simpler change would be turning the pinky finger into a thumb, as it is now, it is pretty useless exect maybe as rosciato for flamenco guitar๐Ÿ™‚ Hmm, that would screw up flamenco guitar I would think, the thumb as pinky.
  5. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    07 Jul '17 19:06
    Well sure, in THIS century, century 22? 23? Of course if there ever was such a genetic change to humans it would require changes to the brain, adding brain cells to the matrix that would allow using the new thumb as easily as our regular one. Maybe a simpler change would be turning the pinky finger into a thumb, as it is now, it is pretty useless exect mayb ...[text shortened]... or flamenco guitar๐Ÿ™‚ Hmm, that would screw up flamenco guitar I would think, the thumb as pinky.
    Sir, the little finger evolved so as to stick in the air, while sipping tea from a cup of bone china.
  6. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    07 Jul '17 20:06
    Originally posted by Ghost of a Duke
    Sir, the little finger evolved so as to stick in the air, while sipping tea from a cup of bone china.
    good thing you called me sir๐Ÿ™‚
  7. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    07 Jul '17 20:441 edit
    Originally posted by Ghost of a Duke
    Couldn't happen in North America.

edit: whoops wrong thread

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree