General Forum

General Forum

  1. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Joined
    28 Dec '04
    Moves
    52770
    07 Jul '17 14:22
    https://techxplore.com/news/2017-07-mechanical-thumb-abilities.html

    Makes me wonder if genetics could be modified to do the same but for real with real flesh and blood extra thumb? Would love to see how it effects my guitar playing or piano!
  2. Standard memberHandyAndy
    Non sum qualis eram
    At the edge
    Joined
    23 Sep '06
    Moves
    18031
    07 Jul '17 14:32
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    https://techxplore.com/news/2017-07-mechanical-thumb-abilities.html

    Makes me wonder if genetics could be modified to do the same but for real with real flesh and blood extra thumb? Would love to see how it effects my guitar playing or piano!
    Or hitching rides? ๐Ÿ˜‰
  3. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Joined
    22 Apr '05
    Moves
    526002
    07 Jul '17 14:36
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    https://techxplore.com/news/2017-07-mechanical-thumb-abilities.html

    Makes me wonder if genetics could be modified to do the same but for real with real flesh and blood extra thumb? Would love to see how it effects my guitar playing or piano!
    I think you overestimate a bit the possibilities of genetics at this Point.

    We are happy to know the general influence a gene is exerting on the body System. Plus mostly the genes are distributed over the DNA quite a bit, so we don't really know yet what alterations lead to which results.
    And adding a new feature to a fody might be a bit trickier still than just to choose eye-colour ๐Ÿ˜€
  4. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Joined
    28 Dec '04
    Moves
    52770
    07 Jul '17 15:48
    Originally posted by Ponderable
    I think you overestimate a bit the possibilities of genetics at this Point.

    We are happy to know the general influence a gene is exerting on the body System. Plus mostly the genes are distributed over the DNA quite a bit, so we don't really know yet what alterations lead to which results.
    And adding a new feature to a fody might be a bit trickier still than just to choose eye-colour ๐Ÿ˜€
    Well sure, in THIS century, century 22? 23? Of course if there ever was such a genetic change to humans it would require changes to the brain, adding brain cells to the matrix that would allow using the new thumb as easily as our regular one. Maybe a simpler change would be turning the pinky finger into a thumb, as it is now, it is pretty useless exect maybe as rosciato for flamenco guitar๐Ÿ™‚ Hmm, that would screw up flamenco guitar I would think, the thumb as pinky.
  5. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    A Spirited Misfit
    in London
    Joined
    14 Mar '15
    Moves
    10584
    07 Jul '17 19:06
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    Well sure, in THIS century, century 22? 23? Of course if there ever was such a genetic change to humans it would require changes to the brain, adding brain cells to the matrix that would allow using the new thumb as easily as our regular one. Maybe a simpler change would be turning the pinky finger into a thumb, as it is now, it is pretty useless exect mayb ...[text shortened]... or flamenco guitar๐Ÿ™‚ Hmm, that would screw up flamenco guitar I would think, the thumb as pinky.
    Sir, the little finger evolved so as to stick in the air, while sipping tea from a cup of bone china.
  6. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Joined
    28 Dec '04
    Moves
    52770
    07 Jul '17 20:06
    Originally posted by Ghost of a Duke
    Sir, the little finger evolved so as to stick in the air, while sipping tea from a cup of bone china.
    good thing you called me sir๐Ÿ™‚
  7. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Mr. Wolf
    at home
    Joined
    09 Jun '07
    Moves
    45641
    07 Jul '17 20:441 edit
    Originally posted by Ghost of a Duke
    Sir, the little finger evolved so as to stick in the air, while sipping tea from a cup of bone china.
    Couldn't happen in North America.



    edit: whoops wrong thread
Back to Top