Occam's razor applied to internet forums

Occam's razor applied to internet forums

General

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
04 Sep 13

Originally posted by HandyAndy
If Occam's razor is applied to human relationships, whether in cyberspace or at the corner
saloon, it becomes necessary to disregard any personal attribute or quality that cannot be
directly observed. Every assumption, be it charitable or not, must be ignored.

Still think it's a good idea?
"Every assumption, be it charitable or not, must be ignored.": Human observations of people, their words and deeds; places and things are processed instantly as academic information. Left Lobe/Right Lobe Transfer requires volitional choices to accept or reject the input in part or whole. What remains is stored, ready for recall. Norms and standards are formed; values and principles are acquired which govern assumptions made. Assumptions are an inevitable outcome of observations. Abject denial would be required to "ignore" charitable and/or uncharitable assumptions. My assumption: you care about this topic.

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
04 Sep 13

Originally posted by Pianoman1
As I understand the principle of Occam's Razor, it states that of any competing hypotheses the [I] simplest [/i] should always be chosen. It has been argued that a circle of matted grass could have been made either by a landing space ship or a wooden board. They are both assumptions, but the wooden board is the simplest hypothesis and so would, using the p ...[text shortened]... ause. As applied to Internet forums the most charitable hypothesis is not always the simplest!
"Occam's razor (also written as Ockham's razor from William of Ockham, and in Latin lex parsimoniae) is a principle of parsimony, economy, or succinctness used in logic and problem-solving. It states that among competing hypotheses, the hypothesis with the fewest assumptions should be selected.

The application of the principle often shifts the burden of proof in a discussion. The razor states that one should proceed to simpler theories until simplicity can be traded for greater explanatory power. The simplest available theory need not be most accurate. Philosophers also point out that the exact meaning of simplest may be nuanced.

Solomonoff's inductive inference is a mathematically formalized Occam's razor: shorter computable theories have more weight when calculating the probability of the next observation, using all computable theories which perfectly describe previous observations.

In science, Occam's razor is used as a heuristic (general guiding rule or an observation) to guide scientists in the development of theoretical models rather than as an arbiter between published models. In the scientific method, Occam's razor is not considered an irrefutable principle of logic or a scientific result." (wiki)

"As I understand the principle of Occam's Razor, it states that of any competing hypotheses the simplest should always be chosen."... Yes, initially though not necessarily "always", until "simplicity can be traded for greater explanatory power."

"As applied to Internet forums the most charitable hypothesis is not always the simplest." And (at times) not without strenuous effort, strength of character and the purity of will to will one thing: apprehending objective reality. We fully agree.

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
04 Sep 13

Originally posted by ChessPraxis
I don't go for those off brand name products. Gillette or Wilkinson Sword for this face pal.
I'm assuming from your avatar photo that you're in need of a double or triple edge blade wet shave as we speak.

Australia

Moves
04 Sep 13
1 edit

Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
I'm assuming from your avatar photo that you're in need of a double or triple edge blade wet shave as we speak.
Bad mistake to assume anything from avatars - do you need a skipper?

Moves
04 Sep 13

Originally posted by Kewpie
That could be a pic of his "houseboat".

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
04 Sep 13

Originally posted by Kewpie
Never having captained a Tall Ship in and out of Boston Harbor,
circumnavigating the globe, sure; whom do you recommend?

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
04 Sep 13

Originally posted by Great Big Stees
That could be a pic of his "houseboat".
Nah, Stees. My cyberspace "houseboat" is a Yellow Submarine
with Musicians and Chefs, Butlers and Canadian Maids.

Read a book!

Moves
04 Sep 13

"Occam's razor (also written as Ockham's razor from William of Ockham, and in Latin lex parsimoniae) is a principle of parsimony, economy, or succinctness used in logic and problem-solving. It states that among competing hypotheses, the hypothesis with the fewest assumptions should be selected.

The application of the principle often shifts the burden ...[text shortened]... rity of will to will one thing: apprehending objective reality. We fully agree.
You're cutting with a dull blade, Bobby. Occam's razor won't help you to find friends on the Internet.

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
04 Sep 13

Originally posted by HandyAndy
You're cutting with a dull blade, Bobby. Occam's razor won't help you to find friends on the Internet.
Hey, Andy, how could a guy possibly want or need more friends than he already has on Red Hot Pawn's General Forum?

Moves
04 Sep 13

Nah, Stees. My cyberspace "houseboat" is a Yellow Submarine
with Musicians and Chefs, Butlers and Canadian Maids.
Canadian Made's a sign of quality workman/womanship.

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
04 Sep 13

Canadian Made's a sign of quality workman/womanship.
Assumption in progress.....

Moves
04 Sep 13

Assumption in progress.....
Sometimes without them you make none.

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
04 Sep 13

Sometimes without them you make none.
Assumptions are good things. Without them where would our observations and discoveries go?
Everybody and everything needs a place to be and call home, whether welcomed there or not.

N

Moves
04 Sep 13

Somewhere, there must be good metaphors for the world wide web forum experience. Perhaps akin to Oscar Wilde's description of a cigarette.

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
04 Sep 13

Originally posted by NoEarthlyReason

Somewhere, there must be good metaphors for the world wide web forum experience. Perhaps akin to Oscar Wilde's description of a cigarette.
“You must have a cigarette. A cigarette is the perfect type of a perfect pleasure.
It is exquisite, and it leaves one unsatisfied. What more can one want?”
Oscar Wilde, The Picture of Dorian Gray