Or is that just me?
    It's just you, you soul killing McJerk. 😛
  4. Standard memberChessPraxis
    Cowboy From Hell
    American West
    Moves
    05 May '14 04:05
    In my experience, most work boils down to this:
    You have a pile of stuff on one end, you do something to the stuff, and place it in another pile elsewhere.
    Hope this objective synopsis is helpful. 🙂
  5. SubscriberKewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    Australia
    Moves
    05 May '14 05:493 edits
    Work is defined as something you don't want to do, that you get paid for doing, and the pay is what you need to have a life. Those people who get paid for something they really love to do are very rare and very lucky.

Having said that, I spent many years doing office work, and only rarely did I find myself in a job that would qualify as soul-killing. I never stayed, on one memorable occasion I went looking for another one after a whole 48 hours! So if you don't like the one you have, put up with it and keep looking until you get one that fits.
  6. Joined
    10 May '07
    Moves
    05 May '14 06:15
    As secretary, all my jobs have been in offices - some better than others - but as you say, Kewpie, it's something you need to do to earn a living. The only thing I regret about office work is, it is not a place where you grow emotionally. If you want emotional growth, perhaps you should choose something else.
  7. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    05 May '14 08:53
    Originally posted by Trev33
    Or is that just me?
    Steady gainful employment: an underrated blessing some take for granted; for the unemployed, it's the 'good old days'.
  8. In your face
    Moves
    05 May '14 14:242 edits
    Originally posted by Kewpie
    Work is defined as something you don't want to do, that you get paid for doing, and the pay is what you need to have a life. Those people who get paid for something they really love to do are very rare and very lucky.

Having said that, I spent many years doing office work, and only rarely did I find myself in a job that would qualify as soul-killing. I n ...[text shortened]... if you don't like the one you have, put up with it and keep looking until you get one that fits.
    Yes indeed. Generally speaking, people get paid to do a job as it is an unenjoyable activity. if it was enjoyable then people would be queueng up to pay to do it.
  9. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    05 May '14 15:52
    All levels of employees in any field will maximize their time doing work requiring knowledge and skills they have and enjoy using. If a job's boring, chances are you're in the wrong job; the best job utilizes skills required by your hobby or avocation.
  10. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    05 May '14 15:55
    Originally posted by ChessPraxis
    In my experience, most work boils down to this:
    You have a pile of stuff on one end, you do something to the stuff, and place it in another pile elsewhere.
    Hope this objective synopsis is helpful. 🙂
    CP, would a full time salaried position as a chess instructor for the county's high school students hold any appeal?
  11. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    05 May '14 15:57
    Or is that just me?
    Reminds me of the movie Joe vs. the Volcano.

Good flick.
  12. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Moves
    05 May '14 16:01
    Or is that just me?
    count me in
  13. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    05 May '14 16:27
    Or is that just me?
    Not all offices are the same. I love my office job because it offers me flexibility, has good people, good pay, good hours and good location. A bunch of us organize activities like playing soccer at lunch during the summer and chess through the winter. As you can see, none of this is actually related to the duties of the job itself.
  14. Standard memberHandyAndy
    Read a book!
    Moves
    05 May '14 19:17
    http://www.randomhouse.com/book/220690/cubed-by-nikil-saval
  15. Joined
    10 May '07
    Moves
    05 May '14 19:22
    Originally posted by HandyAndy
    http://www.randomhouse.com/book/220690/cubed-by-nikil-saval
    Thank you.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree