1. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    27 Sep '13 19:21
    "Once upon a time...

Once upon a time, before the world economies crumbled and freedoms we had all taken for granted were lost
    (including daily use of the internet for free), there was a friendly online general forum...
  2. Standard memberAgerg
    The 'edit'or
    converging to it
    Moves
    27 Sep '13 19:22
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    [b]"Once upon a time...

Once upon a time, before the world economies crumbled and freedoms we had all taken for granted were lost
    (including daily use of the internet for free), there was a friendly online general forum...[/b]
    and then you showed up 🙁
  3. Joined
    09 Nov '12
    Moves
    27 Sep '13 19:30
    Where else can one go to read the dull bleating of young pseudo-intellectuals and wash it down with an old man's passive-aggressive smugness?
  4. Joined
    06 Feb '13
    Moves
    27 Sep '13 20:17
    Originally posted by Agerg
    and then you showed up 🙁
    That's mean, isn't it?
  5. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    27 Sep '13 21:09
    "there was a friendly online general forum...

which gradually lost active contributors who cared about events and issues and ideas with little if any interest in mean spirited attacks on members whose personality, play of mind and/or style of expression was different from their own.
  6. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    27 Sep '13 21:11
    [b]"Once upon a time...

(including daily use of the internet for free), there was a friendly online general forum...[/b]
    Capitalism abhors free.
  7. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    27 Sep '13 21:17
    "there was a friendly online general forum...

which gradually lost active contributors who cared about events and issues and ideas with little if any interest in mean spirited attacks on members whose personality, play of mind and/or style of expression was different from their own.
    If they had "little interest" why did it bother them enough to leave?
  8. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    27 Sep '13 21:19
    Originally posted by JS357
    Capitalism abhors free.
    ... thrives under Free Enterprise.
  9. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    27 Sep '13 21:301 edit
    ... thrives under Free Enterprise.
    You're talking about freedom. I'm talking about free internet, free this, free that. Someing is only free if it results in higher net profit.

Not that I'm complaining. I'm just saying your nostalgia for free internet is up against capitalism.
  10. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    27 Sep '13 21:41
    Originally posted by divegeester
    If they had "little interest" why did it bother them enough to leave?
    "... little if any interest in mean spirited attacks on members whose personality,
    play of mind and/or style of expression was different from their own."

In context, an example would be Mathurine who took seriously ill and after a parting thread disappeared.
    Other entertaining conversationalists left abruptly without notice for reasons known only to themselves.
  11. Standard memberHandyAndy
    Read a book!
    Moves
    27 Sep '13 21:47
    "... little if any interest in mean spirited attacks on members whose personality,
    play of mind and/or style of expression was different from their own."

In context, an example would be Mathurine who took seriously ill and after a parting thread disappeared.
    Other entertaining conversationalists left abruptly without notice for reasons known only to themselves.
    Do you think some of them might have been fed up with you and your endless drivel?
  12. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    27 Sep '13 21:56
    Originally posted by JS357
    You're talking about freedom. I'm talking about free internet, free this, free that. Someing is only free if it results in higher net profit.

Not that I'm complaining. I'm just saying your nostalgia for free internet is up against capitalism.
    "Once upon a time, before the world economies crumbled and freedoms we had all taken for granted were lost
    (including daily use of the internet for free), there was a friendly online general forum..."

We're focusing on today in a fictionalized chapter of a future time. Sites derive income from eyeball hits which capitalist advertisers buy to register subliminal product and service messages on your subconscious mind and mine. We buy their stuff without realizing why some of our choices are made. Nothing's free. Issue isn't either Capitalism or free internet usage either; it's hopefully examining this dying forum in comparison with its glory days in an objective and lighthearted way.
  13. Standard memberAgerg
    The 'edit'or
    converging to it
    Moves
    28 Sep '13 13:281 edit
    Originally posted by Tygert
    That's mean, isn't it?
    Well la - de - fricking - da! It spiffing well must have been then. 😞
  14. Joined
    06 Feb '13
    Moves
    28 Sep '13 15:15
    Originally posted by Agerg
    Well la - de - fricking - da! It spiffing well must have been then. 😞
    There's that sarcasm again. It's the lowest form of wit.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree