1. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    28 Jan '13 06:541 edit
    One for Kewpie

Punctuation Puzzle?

Will she be able to correctly punctuate these two series of words?

1) That that is is that that is not is not is not that it it is

2) John where James had had had had had had had had had had had the teacher's approval

Solution (No peeky):Reveal Hidden Content
    http://www.englishforums.com/English/PunctuationPuzzle/dwknr/post.htm... (J Lewis, English Forums)

2. SubscriberKewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    Australia
    Moves
    28 Jan '13 07:081 edit
    Both of these are ancient, and have been appearing in puzzles since the year dot. Once learned, never forgotten. We even saw them appearing in primary school English classes. Must be a nightmare for ESOL students though.

1) That that is, is; that that is not, is not. Is not that it? It is.
    {the semi-colon often used to be rendered as a simple comma, but I liked the semi-colon there because it represents a slightly longer space when read aloud.}

2) John, where James had had "had", had had "had had". "Had had" had had the teacher's approval.
    {the first sentence is the longest series of repeated words that I can recall ever seeing in a sentence (7).}

Didn't look at your hidden symbol, didn't need to. Unless maybe I've done a typo, in which case pride goeth before a fall, which I seem to remember is a misquote in itself. 🙂
  3. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    29 Jan '13 04:37
    Originally posted by Kewpie
    Both of these are ancient, and have been appearing in puzzles since the year dot. Once learned, never forgotten. We even saw them appearing in primary school English classes. Must be a nightmare for ESOL students though.

1) That that is, is; that that is not, is not. Is not that it? It is.
    {the semi-colon often used to be rendered as a simple comma, ...[text shortened]... i]pride goeth before a fall[/i], which I seem to remember is a misquote in itself. 🙂
    Zero Forum Interest?

~oo
  4. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    30 Jan '13 13:38
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    Zero Forum Interest?

~oo
    Some joker wrote it was for Kewpie 😉
  5. Standard membersasquatch672
    Don't Like It Leave
    Walking the earth.
    Moves
    31 Jan '13 06:41
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    [b]One for Kewpie

Punctuation Puzzle?

Will she be able to correctly punctuate these two series of words?

1) That that is is that that is not is not is not that it it is

2) John where James had had had had had had had had had had had the teacher's approval

Solution (No peeky):[hidden]http://www.englishforums.com/English/PunctuationPuzzle/dwknr/post.htm... (J Lewis, English Forums)[/hidden]
    .[/b]
    I read this for about five seconds, then my eyes crossed and I think I had an aneurysm. Don't do that again.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree