Nobody has called my willy like that since... 1994 😵
    What? Crap tonight?
  3. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    10 Apr '16 21:23
    Originally posted by FMF
    Rules: [1] You don't necessarily have to be entirely right, but you do need to have a point. [2] Rule 2 isn't really a rule at all.
    So.
  4. SubscriberKewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    Australia
    Moves
    10 Apr '16 22:05
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    So.
    The word "so" may be either an adverb or a conjunction, and in both cases require a word or phrase to qualify. It cannot be an entire sentence of itself.

The displayed "So." may be a contraction of the word south and is sometimes used as part of a display of geographic coordinates.

Please clarify your post.
  5. Standard memberHandyAndy
    Read a book!
    Moves
    10 Apr '16 22:32
    Originally posted by Kewpie
    The word "so" may be either an adverb or a conjunction, and in both cases require a word or phrase to qualify. It cannot be an entire sentence of itself.
    So? Now what?
  6. SubscriberKewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    Australia
    Moves
    10 Apr '16 22:57
    Originally posted by HandyAndy
    So? Now what?
    That string of words is totally unacceptable English. Where are the subjects and verbs, at a minimum?
  7. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    11 Apr '16 00:081 edit
    That string of words is totally unacceptable English. Where are the subjects and verbs, at a minimum?
    It did convey an idea, however. Having said that, I agree with the general idea of criticizing it for narrowly defined reasons rooted in an adherence to a particular view of legitimacy conferred by conventionality.
  8. Standard memberHandyAndy
    Read a book!
    Moves
    11 Apr '16 00:14
    It's conversational English. Where have you been for the last fifty years? Get with it.
  9. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    11 Apr '16 00:271 edit
    Where have you been for the last fifty years?
    Your question is partially redundant because for at least the last 7-8 of the last 50 years we know full well she has been right here.
  10. Standard memberHandyAndy
    Read a book!
    Moves
    11 Apr '16 00:41
    Originally posted by FMF
    Your question is partially redundant because for at least the last 7-8 of the last 50 years we know full well she has been right here.
    So? She's obviously not paying attention.
  11. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    11 Apr '16 01:261 edit
    So? She's obviously not paying attention.
    Strictly speaking, something obvious - or something obviously so - must be perceived as such through the sense of sight which is not possible in the case of Kewpie as she is located, out of sight, in the Australian boondocks.
  12. Standard memberHandyAndy
    Read a book!
    Moves
    11 Apr '16 01:551 edit
    Originally posted by FMF
    Strictly speaking, something [b]obvious - or something obviously so - must be perceived as such through the sense of sight which is not possible in the case of Kewpie as she is located, out of sight, in the Australian boondocks.[/b]
    True enough. But she is on display when she posts here. I can see her quite well. 😉
  13. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    11 Apr '16 02:18
    True enough. But she is on display when she posts here. I can see her quite well. 😉
    There is a time and place for metaphysics and metaphor.

As for "true enough": are there degrees of "truth"? If a "truth" is deemed merely sufficient, is there then some further "truth" above and beyond it that's "more than enough"?
  14. Standard memberHandyAndy
    Read a book!
    Moves
    11 Apr '16 02:27
    Originally posted by FMF
    There is a time and place for metaphysics and metaphor.

As for "true enough": are there degrees of "truth"? If a "truth" is deemed merely sufficient, is there then some further "truth" above and beyond it that's "more than enough"?
    True enough barely makes the cut.
  15. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    11 Apr '16 02:39
    True enough barely makes the cut.
    I hardly think that a metaphor alluding to the mechanism for advancement to later rounds in a sports tournament, like golf for instance, is commensurate with a matter as serious as I have chosen to make this one.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree