1. Joined
    10 Nov '12
    Moves
    09 Feb '14 01:29
    A few weeks ago I bought a few "pop" (the modern R&B form, I think) songs on iTunes. I'm a classical buff really, but I'm feeling a desire to listen to some pop music, and wondered if you can suggest anything truly outstanding. I just looked up 50 "Great Debut Albums" on the iTunes store and sampled most of the frequently downloaded songs I didn't know already, and of all of them I was only tempted by one Norah Jones song, but it seemed a little too flimsy to be worth buying (don't immediately try to think of artists who are a bit like her, please).

I don't mind the genre if the song is good, but I draw the line at "aggressive" music like most heavy metal or gangsta rap. I'll listen to electronic music if but it has to be a cut above the repetitive-but-oh-so-trendy music the "cooler" clubbers listen to (read: take drugs to), which seems to be the current acme in that genre..

I offer a recommendation of my own (not pop music but not really classical either, though it features a harp): the relaxed and dreamlike Future Strings by Catrin Finch and Seckou Keita from their album Clychau Dibon.
  2. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    09 Feb '14 02:47
  3. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    09 Feb '14 04:15
    Originally posted by NoEarthlyReason
    A few weeks ago I bought a few "pop" (the modern R&B form, I think) songs on iTunes. I'm a classical buff really, but I'm feeling a desire to listen to some pop music, and wondered if you can suggest anything truly outstanding. I just looked up 50 "Great Debut Albums" on the iTunes store and sampled most of the frequently downloaded songs I didn't kn ...[text shortened]... ed and dreamlike Future Strings by Catrin Finch and Seckou Keita from their album Clychau Dibon.
    I think this is what you are looking for;
    YouTube
  4. Joined
    10 Nov '12
    Moves
    09 Feb '14 11:45
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    I think this is what you are looking for;
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jofNR_WkoCE
    That's hilarious but the music is still terrible 🙂.
  5. Joined
    10 Nov '12
    Moves
    09 Feb '14 11:45
    Originally posted by Trev33
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dj01ZLaWshc
    Meh.
  6. Joined
    10 Nov '12
    Moves
    09 Feb '14 11:54
    Catrin Finch and Seckou Keita live:

YouTube
  7. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    09 Feb '14 14:55
    OK, this is totally epic though.

YouTube
  8. Joined
    10 Nov '12
    Moves
    09 Feb '14 15:10
    OK, this is totally epic though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tMlqqhIls98
    Thank you for that heartbreaking work of staggering genius. Lyrics by 'Trev', eh?
  9. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    09 Feb '14 17:171 edit
    A few weeks ago I bought a few "pop" (the modern R&B form, I think) songs on iTunes. I'm a classical buff really, but I'm feeling a desire to listen to some pop music, and wondered if you can suggest anything truly outstanding. I just looked up 50 "Great Debut Albums" on the iTunes store and sampled most of the frequently downloaded songs I didn't kn ...[text shortened]... ed and dreamlike Future Strings by Catrin Finch and Seckou Keita from their album Clychau Dibon.
    I am not a fan of "pop", I am normally a "rock grrl", but I recommend Cyndi Lauper. From "Girls Just Want To Have Fun" or "Time After Time", from her debut She's So Unusual, 1983, to "I'll Be Your River", from The Body Acoustic, 2005, to "Just Your Fool", from Memphis Blues, 2010, to videos of her 2013 30th Anniversary concerts (you can spot her playing dulcimer on some of these as well), she's endured. Now that she's turned 60 (unbelievable), she's mellowed some, but still my favorite pop artist who has since crossed so many genres. Her voice is golden.
  10. Joined
    10 Nov '12
    Moves
    09 Feb '14 18:02
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    I am not a fan of "pop", I am normally a "rock grrl", but I recommend Cyndi Lauper. From "Girls Just Want To Have Fun" or "Time After Time", from her debut She's So Unusual, 1983, to "I'll Be Your River", from The Body Acoustic, 2005, to "Just Your Fool", from Memphis Blues, 2010, to videos of her 2013 30th Anniversary concerts (you ca ...[text shortened]... me, but still my favorite pop artist who has since crossed so many genres. Her voice is golden.
    Thanks, I'll check her out. I mean "pop" in its broadest sense, to include all forms of popular music, including rock, Latin, alternative, hip hop, etc. etc. So any other suggestions are welcome.

I just took a trial of Spotify so I shouldn't find it hard to access material, so as rare or common as you like. 🙂
  11. Joined
    10 Nov '12
    Moves
    09 Feb '14 18:16
    As soon as I heard the first track I wondered if it was her that sang 'True Colors' which I remember liking back in the 80s. But she's not really my cup of tea any more—her voice doesn't appeal to me at all now, even though I must have found it alluring back then.
  12. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    09 Feb '14 18:35
    That's hilarious but the music is still terrible 🙂.
    That's what you get asking for music advice on a chess website! 😉

Seriously though; have you heard NZ's girl of the moment Lorde?
    A serious talent (just turned 17) ... I wonder how long she will last?
  13. Joined
    10 Nov '12
    Moves
    09 Feb '14 18:45
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    Seriously though; have you heard NZ's girl of the moment Lorde?
    I have now, and I don't likey.

I do quite like young Brit Laura Marling, who sings in a different genre altogether (folk).
  14. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    09 Feb '14 20:36
    Thank you for that heartbreaking work of staggering genius. Lyrics by 'Trev', eh?
    I'm still waiting for my 33%.
  15. Joined
    10 Nov '12
    Moves
    09 Feb '14 20:48
    I'm still waiting for my 33%.
    You deserve every penny.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree