1. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    22 Apr '14 18:181 edit
    "Pratfall Effect" Game

The Pratfall Effect

When a person makes a mistake or acts in a clumsy way that might even make people laugh, they are found to be more likeable, including in comparison with people who are more intelligent and clever. When you make a mistake, you appear more human, more like others and so more likeable. People who are perfect can seem threatening, but people who are imperfect are safe and hence easier to truly like. Research: Elliot Aronson played recordings of people answering a quiz, but with some you could hear the person knocking over a cup of coffee. People listening to the recordings rated the people who knocked over the coffee as being more likeable. http://changingminds.org/explanations/theories/pratfall_effect.htm

Pratfall effect From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia "In social psychology, the pratfall effect is the tendency for attractiveness to increase or decrease after an individual makes a mistake, depending on the individual's perceived competence, or ability to perform well in a general sense. A perceived competent individual would be, on average, more likable after committing a blunder, while the opposite would occur if a perceived average person makes a mistake. Originally described in 1966 by Elliot Aronson, numerous studies have since been conducted to isolate the effects of gender, self-esteem, and severity of the blunder on change in attractiveness or likability. Occasionally referred to as the blemishing effect when used as a form of marketing, the pratfall effect has established itself in popular culture, notably attributed to Kennedy in the aftermath of the Bay of the Pigs Invasion and to Apple's unsuccessful endeavors in mapping/navigation services."

Likeability: The Pratfall Effect "The Pratfall Effect is a psychological phenomenon that says that competent people appear more likeable and attractive when they make a mistake than when they are perfect. It is named after the American expression for "falling on your behind". Wiseman concludes that people find it hard to associate with others who are highly competent, perhaps more so than themselves but warm to others who are flawed and just like themselves. http://www.managetrainlearn.com/page/the-pratfall-effect

Pratfall Effect Game: A competitive online foruum "likeability" game. Answer the question asked by the previous persom, then post one of your own. Scoring: One point for each post; three points for each Thumbs Up. Status updated each page...

Q. Do you thing Red Hot Pawn Publix Forums are habit forming?

"""'
    o o
    .¿
  2. This is embarrasking
    Moves
    22 Apr '14 19:50
    I have a very addictive personality. So probably yes.

What was the true meaning behind the question? Were you hoping I would drop my tie in the toaster and catch on fire so everyone would love me? Neither is liable to happen. You might want to experiment on your own. 😛
  3. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    23 Apr '14 13:23
    Originally posted by cashthetrash
    What was the true meaning behind the question? ...
    There is a purpose to everything we do. This is easier to find than the cause.

Who will win the European Champions League?
  4. Standard memberhuckleberryhound
    Devout Agnostic.
    DZ-015
    Moves
    23 Apr '14 13:28
    Does trying to fill the forum with games count as a habit?
  5. Joined
    14 Mar '04
    Moves
    23 Apr '14 14:31
    Originally posted by huckleberryhound
    Does trying to fill the forum with games count as a habit?
    I'd say if it's habitual, yes.
  6. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    23 Apr '14 17:011 edit
    Originally posted by Ponderable
    There is a purpose to everything we do. This is easier to find than the cause.

Pawnderable, the 2014 NFL Season doesn't begin until September.

By the way, did you notice that the Stees failed to ask a question? If this was an Oxymoron Game
    thread we would possibly have to send him to the Naughty Chair or Oxycute him.

My question: Do Penguins have knees?
  7. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    23 Apr '14 17:09
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    Pawnderable, the 2014 NFL Season doesn't begin until September.

By the way, did you notice that the Stees failed to ask a question? If this was an Oxymoron Game
    thread we would possibly have to send him to the Naughty Chair or Oxycute him.

My question: Do Penguins have knees?
    OOC: Gb we are talking about Football, a game played with the foot and a ball...

Pinguins do have knees, they just happen to be stiff. so they can't kneel.

Do we even have a naughty chair in here?
  8. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    23 Apr '14 17:50
    OOC: Gb we are talking about Football, a game played with the foot and a ball...

Pinguins do have knees, they just happen to be stiff. so they can't kneel.

Do we even have a naughty chair in here?
    "The Pratfall Effect: When a person makes a mistake or acts in a clumsy way that might even make people laugh, they are found to be more likeable, including in comparison with people who are more intelligent and clever. When you make a mistake, you appear more human, more like others and so more likeable. People who are perfect can seem threatening, but people who are imperfect are safe and hence easier to truly like."... gb's just a persom who's trying to play by the rules.

There is a Naughty Chair in Camelot Oasis in Space [h] which is friendlier than the big Naughty Chair owned by Russ.

Q. Do Bees have knees?
  9. This is embarrasking
    Moves
    27 Apr '14 21:091 edit

An American I hope. 😛

Can Penguins play football?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree