1. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    08 Dec '12 22:54
    Question

What if one fine day or moonlit night the internet collapsed? What impact on government; military; judicial systems; law enforcement; satellite communications; electrical grids; medicine and hospitals; food distribution; banking and merchant transactions; research and development; information dependence on Google; dating sites; chess sites; email contact; etc? What would you do? How would you cope with the inconvenience? Would telephone networks become burdened to the point of inaccessibility? Once the stern fact that this invisible umbilical cord had been permanently severed sank in, how would you and your family cope? Write more letters? Read more books? Finally clean out the garage, paint the house or learn to cook? Improbable hypothetical? Maybe, maybe not. You now have a decision to make. Ignore this noobie and his silly forum thread or stop in your tracks to ponder the question asked? Any serious minded RHP Members, please feel free to ‘personal message’ me directly. Who knows? We might become good friends... while the internet's still humming along and the world's still spinning on its axis as if everything's permanent, which it's not. (gb)
  2. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    09 Dec '12 00:221 edit
    You mean like before we had electricity.

Perhaps people might actually get together again & talk face to face. 😉

Welcome back my friend. The place is never the same without you!!!
  3. rural North Dakota
    Moves
    09 Dec '12 00:26
    Originally posted by Very Rusty
    You mean like before we had electricity.

Perhaps people might actually get together again & talk face to face. 😉

Welcome back my friend. The place is never the same without you!!!
    AMEN! Hi to you too, Rusty. Remember me?
  4. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    09 Dec '12 00:28
    Originally posted by ale1552
    AMEN! Hi to you too, Rusty. Remember me?
    Yes, I most certainly do & nice to see you here!
  5. rural North Dakota
    Moves
    09 Dec '12 00:44
    Yes, I most certainly do & nice to see you here!
    Just had some lefse with gourmet coffee, so I am feeling a bit more tolerant than usual. Christmas does that to me. Spent an hour performing Christmas carols at the nursing home this afternoon. It is hard to get offended after such an inspiring time spreading good cheer to people worse off than I am. 😉 Seeing Bob back really topped it off.
  6. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    09 Dec '12 00:53
    Originally posted by ale1552
    Just had some lefse with gourmet coffee, so I am feeling a bit more tolerant than usual. Christmas does that to me. Spent an hour performing Christmas carols at the nursing home this afternoon. It is hard to get offended after such an inspiring time spreading good cheer to people worse off than I am. 😉 Seeing Bob back really topped it off.
    Well done, yes it always feels good to do something nice for others.

I confine my singing to the shower. 😉
  7. Account suspended
    Moves
    09 Dec '12 01:08
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    [b]Question

What if one fine day or moonlit night the internet collapsed? What impact on government; military; judicial systems; law enforcement; satellite communications; electrical grids; medicine and hospitals; food distribution; banking and merchant transactions; research and development; information dependence on Google; dating sites; chess ...[text shortened]... the world's still spinning on its axis as if everything's permanent, which it's not. (gb)
    .[/b]
    I'd spent three weeks in Denmark in November, and having seen that virtually all services are "wired" and some things one can get done exclusively pr internet, and having seen that some el-bulbs and most of computers never turn off, and I asked myself the same: what if power supply collapsed. We live as we'll have electricity for ever. People in Denmark are not afraid even of climate change they are just raising higher levees.

People depending on electric medical help would die.
    Everything that is run on/by el-power will be ruined.

I have a plan for myself-> I will go to the nearest Amish community, knock on their door and tell-->>> "Hi. I am vandervelde. I would work for food. I am ready to learn!"

Basicly, the world would look like John Carpenter's movie New York 1997
  8. rural North Dakota
    Moves
    09 Dec '12 01:22
    Well done, yes it always feels good to do something nice for others.

I confine my singing to the shower. 😉
    I do not even sing in the shower. 😀 I play the piano! Back on topic now. I recall when my four kids were little, our church had an "Old Fashioned Christmas" with only candles and kerosene lamps. The children were dressed in clothing similar to the early 1900s. My oldest daughter had a huge pink velvet bow in her long dark hair. It was so different from all the other Christmases we have had. (Just a bit difficult to play the organ, but they allowed my small fluorescent lamp to be on). It was an evening program and our church was still a remnant from when the Norwegians settled there. It is a tiny settlement called Scandia. Seattle is across the bay. Good memories.
  9. rural North Dakota
    Moves
    09 Dec '12 01:24
    Originally posted by vandervelde
    I'd spent three weeks in Denmark in November, and having seen that virtually all services are "wired" and some things one can get done exclusively pr internet, and having seen that some el-bulbs and most of computers never turn off, and I asked myself the same: what if power supply collapsed. We live as we'll have electricity for ever. People in Denma ...[text shortened]... n!"

Basicly, the world would look like John Carpenter's movie [b]New York 1997
    [/b]
    Are you a Dane? I have two grandparents from Denmark. I learned how to cook from my Danish mother though I never exceeded her culinary gifts, I may have reached her heights in pie baking. I still make the Danish flat apple pie in a 9 x 13 pan.
  10. Standard membersumydid
    Aficionado of Prawns
    Not of this World
    Moves
    09 Dec '12 03:391 edit
    If the internet collapsed, I would immediately present a business idea to the government, get a loan, and buy a HUGE bank of phone lines and modems, and establish the largest dial up bulletin board system in the country. And everyone would have to go back to what we used to do before the internet. Use phones, modems, and dial up local bulletin boards. That's all this place is. I was doing exactly what we are doing here on RHP, before the internet went public. I was playing chess on a local "bulletin board" which also had a message forum. The only difference was, the graphical user interface wasn't as fancy, and sometimes you got a busy signal and had to redial to get an open line.
  11. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    09 Dec '12 07:52
    Originally posted by sumydid
    If the internet collapsed, I would immediately present a business idea to the government, get a loan, and buy a HUGE bank of phone lines and modems, and establish the largest dial up bulletin board system in the country. And everyone would have to go back to what we used to do before the internet. Use phones, modems, and dial up local bulletin boards. Tha ...[text shortened]... wasn't as fancy, and sometimes you got a busy signal and had to redial to get an open line.
    Assumes electrical power grids aren't down.
  12. SubscriberDrewnogal
    Constant Gardener
    The Plot
    Moves
    09 Dec '12 08:27

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

13. Standard membersumydid
    Aficionado of Prawns
    Not of this World
    Moves
    09 Dec '12 09:45
    Assumes electrical power grids aren't down.
    No reason to assume otherwise.
  14. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    09 Dec '12 10:49
    [b]Question

What if one fine day or moonlit night the internet collapsed? What impact on government; military; judicial systems; law enforcement; satellite communications; electrical grids; medicine and hospitals; food distribution; banking and merchant transactions; research and development; information dependence on Google; dating sites; chess ...[text shortened]... the world's still spinning on its axis as if everything's permanent, which it's not. (gb)
    .[/b]
    We would still get buy as long as there was cash. Once money (as cash) finally disappears and the then the internet goes down it will be carnage; no economy, no food, cannibalism within 3 weeks.
  15. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    09 Dec '12 11:32
    Originally posted by sumydid

No reason to assume otherwise.
    "What if one fine day or moonlit night the internet collapsed? What impact on government; military; judicial systems; law enforcement; satellite communications; electrical grids; medicine and hospitals; food distribution; banking and merchant transactions; research and development; information dependence on Google; dating sites; chess sites; email contact; etc? What would you do?"

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree