1. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    11 Mar '15 06:351 edit
    List 4 words, each having 4 letters.

Then find a word, of the fewest letters, that contains the letters making up each of the 4 words.

If a 4-letter word has one letter twice, eg, "were", then the found word must have at least two of that letter, eg, "weirder" has 2 e's and so we can get "were" from it.

No use of anagram solvers, etc., allowed. Or maybe yes. It's up to the participants, agree beforehand.

Example: "were, drew, dire, deer." A 7 letter word that contains them all, is "weirder." (There may be a shorter word that works. Easy to find out.)

The solver gets to submit the next 4 words.

Any list of 4 words must be "solvable". Their submitter must have a word in mind from which the 4 words can be made. It need not be the shortest possible word. So don't submit jive, quid, axon, and zany, unless you know the word they can be made from.

If not a game for now, maybe someday with the grandkids.
  2. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    11 Mar '15 16:00
    Originally posted by JS357
    List 4 words, each having 4 letters.

Then find a word, of the fewest letters, that contains the letters making up each of the 4 words.

If a 4-letter word has one letter twice, eg, "were", then the found word must have at least two of that letter, eg, "weirder" has 2 e's and so we can get "were" from it.

No use of anagram solvers, etc., allowed. Or may ...[text shortened]... know the word they can be made from.

If not a game for now, maybe someday with the grandkids.
    My list:

were
    wear
    dear
    deer
  3. Joined
    10 Nov '12
    Moves
    11 Mar '15 16:053 edits
    Originally posted by Ponderable
    My list:

were
    wear
    dear
    deer
    redraw

I pass on my turn.
  4. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    11 Mar '15 16:081 edit
    Originally posted by NoEarthlyReason
    redraw

I pass on my turn.
    It is not your turn, since you have to use the "e" two times, if I understood the rules correctly.
    Hint: There is a six-letter word 😉
  5. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    11 Mar '15 17:291 edit
    My list:

were
    wear
    dear
    deer
    dreaded?

No "w". Hmm...
  6. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    11 Mar '15 17:36
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    dreaded?

No "w". Hmm...
    I have to admit to have commited a grammatical error in my word 🙁 It is not weared...🙁🙁

So someone else should take a stab
  7. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    11 Mar '15 18:283 edits
    I have to admit to have commited a grammatical error in my word 🙁 It is not weared...🙁🙁

So someone else should take a stab
    I guess I'm the moderator and can't play, but can step in at times like this.

So I used an anagram solver and found

drawee
    drôˈē/
    noun
    noun: drawee; plural noun: drawees

the person or organization, typically a bank, who must pay a draft or bill.

Which makes these 4-letter words, some of which I've never seen before.

awed, awee, dare, dear, deer, dere, draw, dree, drew, ewer, read, rede, reed, wade, ward, ware, wear, weed, weer, were = 20 words
  8. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    11 Mar '15 18:37
    Originally posted by JS357
    I guess I'm the moderator and can't play, but can step in at times like this.

So I used an anagram solver and found

drawee
    drôˈē/
    noun
    noun: drawee; plural noun: drawees

the person or organization, typically a bank, who must pay a draft or bill.

Which makes these 4-letter words, some of which I've never seen before.

awed, awee, dare, dear ...[text shortened]... here are 24 ways to combine 4 items (4x3x2x1) drawee is rich.

edit: the math might be screwy.
    No use of anagram solvers, etc., allowed. Or maybe yes. It's up to the participants, agree beforehand.

Example: "were, drew, dire, deer." A 7 letter word that contains them all, is "weirder." (There may be a shorter word that works. Easy to find out.)

The solver gets to submit the next 4 words.

Any list of 4 words must be "solvable". Their submitter must have a word in mind from which the 4 words can be made. It need not be the shortest possible word. So don't submit jive, quid, axon, and zany, unless you know the word they can be made from. (From OP)
    ?
  9. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    11 Mar '15 18:43
    The Math is actually a bit screwy, since the 24 refers to the way you can order four (different) items , but we actually have six letters, so the number of permutations is 720...
  10. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    11 Mar '15 18:45
    The Math is actually a bit screwy, since the 24 refers to the way you can order four (different) items , but we actually have six letters, so the number of permutations is 720...
    Yes so I deleted it just before your correction.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree