RHP Prose competition 2020

RHP Prose competition 2020

General

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Moves
28 Apr 20

@very-rusty said
Get busy with the story Mr. Two-faced!!! 😛 😉

-VR
I see only one face (questioning look) in my last response. Where's the second? 🤔

Treat Everyone Equal

Halifax, Nova Scotia

Moves
28 Apr 20

@great-big-stees said
I see only one face (questioning look) in my last response. Where's the second? 🤔
Two-faced! The definition of two-faced is someone who is insincere or who acts one way in certain situations and then in a contrary manner in others. An example of someone who would be described as two-faced is a person who pretends to be your friend and then starts calling you names as soon as you leave the room. 😛 😉

-VR

Read a book!

Moves
28 Apr 20

@very-rusty said
i am someone who would be described as a loser.

-VR
true

Gothenburg

Moves
28 Apr 20

@very-rusty said
Two-faced! The definition of two-faced is someone who is insincere or who acts one way in certain situations and then in a contrary manner in others. An example of someone who would be described as two-faced is a person who pretends to be your friend and then starts calling you names as soon as you leave the room. 😛 😉

-VR
Diplomatic, perhaps sitting on the fence at times - I think that describes Stees as far as I know him.

Treat Everyone Equal

Halifax, Nova Scotia

Moves
28 Apr 20
1 edit

@HandyAndy said

I like changing peoples quotes.

oldman

Treat Everyone Equal

Halifax, Nova Scotia

Moves
28 Apr 20

@torunn said
Diplomatic, perhaps sitting on the fence at times - I think that describes Stees as far as I know him.
LOL.....yes with a picket up his butt at times!

-VR

Treat Everyone Equal

Halifax, Nova Scotia

Moves
28 Apr 20
2 edits

@HandyAndy

oldman
Come now Andy don't be so hard on yourself!

-VR

Read a book!

Moves
28 Apr 20

@very-rusty said
@HandyAndy said

oldman
You forgot to italicize said

Careless man.

SRB

Moves
29 Apr 20

@very-rusty said

-VR
Some people believe that to be aggressive is to be honest since to moderate your emotional reaction is to be insincere to your initial 'true' response. They need the generosity of others moderating their reactions around them in the knowledge of what happens if everybody practices this honesty all at the same time. The world does not need less diplomats.

IP

Moves
29 Apr 20

@petewxyz said
Some people believe that to be aggressive is to be honest since to moderate your emotional reaction is to be insincere to your initial 'true' response. They need the generosity of others moderating their reactions around them in the knowledge of what happens if everybody practices this honesty all at the same time. The world does not need less diplomats.
Indeed. The thing about the kind of communication that we see on these forums is that we often say things that we wouldn't say in 'real life', if the person we are talking to was standing in front of us. Moderation then tends to be the 'watchword', in part in order not have ones' lights punched out, either being the puncher or the punchee, neither of which is constructive. This is particularly true, I think, because talking in this way we lack any of the other tools of people - communication, such as facial expression, tone of voice, body language and so on, so the potential for misunderstanding or misconception is greater, and this tends to build on itself and often ends up as nothing more than a slanging match, which also doesn't achieve very much. This comes to you in diplomatic manner, and no offense is intended.

Moves
29 Apr 20

@indonesia-phil said
Indeed. The thing about the kind of communication that we see on these forums is that we often say things that we wouldn't say in 'real life', if the person we are talking to was standing in front of us. Moderation then tends to be the 'watchword', in part in order not have ones' lights punched out, either being the puncher or the punchee, neither of which is construct ...[text shortened]... also doesn't achieve very much. This comes to you in diplomatic manner, and no offense is intended.
In the professional-world, excessive self-restraint sometimes reveals itself through passive-aggressive and sarcastic behavior.

For some, diplomatic honesty is difficult to master.

Therefore, one might infer that much of today's on-line brutality has roots in its real-world counterpart: Emotional dishonesty.

SRB

Moves
29 Apr 20

@indonesia-phil said
Indeed. The thing about the kind of communication that we see on these forums is that we often say things that we wouldn't say in 'real life', if the person we are talking to was standing in front of us. Moderation then tends to be the 'watchword', in part in order not have ones' lights punched out, either being the puncher or the punchee, neither of which is construct ...[text shortened]... also doesn't achieve very much. This comes to you in diplomatic manner, and no offense is intended.
No offence could be taken as I agree with what you say other than one small, but important point. The online world is the real world and it is real people who experience its brutality. In my working life I met a lot of teenagers recovering from suicide attempts and the trend was towards far more stories of on line brutality. The impact had been just as real as any other forms of brutality. Social evolution is a slow process. Maybe the arrival of emojis marks the beginning of needing to see more than literal content, but it is a less safe world for our children and I don't say that from a position of naivety about brutality in general!

SRB

Moves
29 Apr 20
1 edit

@wolfe63 said
In the professional-world, excessive self-restraint sometimes reveals itself through passive-aggressive and sarcastic behavior.

For some, diplomatic honesty is difficult to master.

Therefore, one might infer that much of today's on-line brutality has roots in its real-world counterpart: Emotional dishonesty.
This is so true. The cutting comment dressed up as humour so you have to chose between just taking it or being the guy who can't take the joke. The professionals' weapon of choice!

Treat Everyone Equal

Halifax, Nova Scotia

Moves
29 Apr 20

@petewxyz said
This is so true. The cutting comment dressed up as humour so you have to chose between just taking it or being the guy who can't take the joke. The professionals' weapon of choice!
What a bunch of cry babys you guys sound like! 😛 😉

-VR

SRB

Moves
29 Apr 20

@very-rusty said
What a bunch of cry babys you guys sound like! 😛 😉

-VR
Why not mix it up a bit and see if you can do some passive agression, but then add that to your repertoire of playground insults. Maybe that could be the winning formula??