RHP Prose Competition

RHP Prose Competition

General

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gothenburg

Moves
22 May 19

@moonbus said
We haven't heard from Drew yet. She entered some cracking good stories in years past and won at least one year.
She is very good, I trust she will participate this time too.

Constant Gardener

The Plot

Moves
22 May 19

@torunn said
She is very good, I trust she will participate this time too.
Thank you both ๐Ÿ™‚ I did say I’d like to join in but I’m also very busy doing the garden each day and find I’m exhausted by the evening.

รœber-Nerd

Moves
22 May 19
1 edit

@drewnogal

Oh come on, Drew, you're not going to be in the garden every day for six weeks. It'll rain at least once, and on that day you imagine you've dug up a skeleton in your garden and write it down.

chemist

Linkenheim

Moves
23 May 19

@drewnogal said
Me too!

Like Moonbus’ suggestion of the ghost/supernatural/scary theme.
That is Drew' post from May 17th...so no worries

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
23 May 19

Ok, ghost/supernatural/scary, huh?

What if it's not exactly "campfire-scary" material, but just uses some traditional horror genre elements, running towards a parody-tribute theme?

Moves
23 May 19

@suzianne said

What if it's not exactly "campfire-scary" material, but just uses some traditional horror genre elements, running towards a parody-tribute theme?
Go for it! ๐Ÿ˜€

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
23 May 19
2 edits

@ghost-of-a-duke said
Go for it! ๐Ÿ˜€
Cool. Got an idea, and I started researching it, but fleshing it out is the hard part.

One problem is that I don't even live in, nor even been to, the country where it's set. ๐Ÿ˜• Thank goodness for Google.

รœber-Nerd

Moves
23 May 19
1 edit

@suzianne said

So long as it's got "superstition," "phantom," and "twilight" in it, or cognates thereof (I'm assuming, e.g., "superstitious", "phantoms", "twilit" etc.), I reckon it's kosher.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
23 May 19

@moonbus said
So long as it's got "superstition," "phantom," and "twilight" in it, or cognates thereof (I'm assuming, e.g., "superstitious", "twilit" etc.), I reckon it's kosher.
Quite right, almost forgot that, I should add that to my notes.

รœber-Nerd

Moves
23 May 19

@suzianne said
Cool. Got an idea, and I started researching it, but fleshing it out is the hard part.

One problem is that I don't even live in, nor even been to, the country where it's set. ๐Ÿ˜• Thank goodness for Google.
Ah, the undiscovered country. Good start. Very good.

Moves
23 May 19

@suzianne said
Quite right, almost forgot that, I should add that to my notes.
The challenge is to have those keywords melt into the prose so they don't look conspicuous. Torunn was quite kind though, as she could have thrown in hedgehog and satsumas.

รœber-Nerd

Moves
23 May 19

@ghost-of-a-duke said
The challenge is to have those keywords melt into the prose so they don't look conspicuous. Torunn was quite kind though, as she could have thrown in hedgehog and satsumas.
Yes, or "quinquereme", "groat", and "kumquat". Count ourselves lucky.

Gothenburg

Moves
23 May 19

@ghost-of-a-duke said
Was I too kind perhaps...? Should I have made it more difficult and challenging? I was so into the theme and tried to picture some kind of background.

Moves
23 May 19

@torunn said
Was I too kind perhaps...? Should I have made it more difficult and challenging? I was so into the theme and tried to picture some kind of background.
No, I think you played it well. Will be good to see how the different writers incorporate those words. (I can see ways they could be used creatively).

Gothenburg

Moves
23 May 19
2 edits