1. Joined
    23 Nov '09
    Moves
    10 Apr '16 18:43
    Originally posted by radioactive69
    Maybe you should go out more often. Try to get a girl for a change.
    You are the one with the barby. I have a wife ... and a dog.
  2. Standard memberHandyAndy
    Read a book!
    Moves
    10 Apr '16 19:30
    Originally posted by Kegge
    You are the one with the barby. I have a wife ... and a dog.
    Your wife says she has two dogs.
  3. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    11 Apr '16 20:21
    Originally posted by Seitse
    What's your beef, pops? It would be naive to think that a middle aged
    human being living in the U.S. and connected to the internet hasn't
    heard the Star Wars spoilers after 6 months of its release.

Unless Suzi, of course, is in reality the Unabomber freshly released from
    maximum security prison. In which case, well... Ted deserved it.
    Naive? Really? Did you even read my post? I said I had made it a point to studiously avoid seeing spoilers for this movie. Yes, I was aware that spoilers existed, but I took great steps to avoid them, even to the point of leaving the conversation if it came up among my friends. Most of them knew I hadn't yet seen it and they respected me by not talking about it around me.

Thankfully, someone who had read this thread after my post and after yours, notified me via PM that I should probably stay out of this thread until I'd seen it, because you had gone ahead and blabbed what is perhaps the single biggest spoiler in the entire movie. I would publicly thank him here, for he enabled me to see this movie without knowing about this "spoiler", and so when it happened in the movie, I was suitably shocked, just like everyone else. But I won't so that he doesn't have to defend his action, which I thank him for.

All that said, I enjoyed the movie immensely, despite it being directed by J.J. Abrams, who had ruined the Star Trek franchise for me by "revisiting" the timeline and going ahead and blowing up the planet Vulcan, when he really had no outstanding reason to do so (except maybe he hates Vulcans). I am almost as equally pissed at him by his blowing off all the post-SW:V! novels, which George Lucas himself had said were "canon", in favor of his rather lame "vision" of what HE thought SW should be.

I also enjoyed the I-III trilogy, despite all the "cool wannabes" on the net gathering at their weekly D&D games to bad-mouth the trilogy. Story-wise, it was spot-on, and it made the SW universe "pre-Luke Skywalker" (the Clone wars and the rise of the Empire) known to all, not just the SW geeks who already were aware of it. My favorite part of the "prequel trilogy" was seeing Obi-wan in his prime, as the expert swordsman the lore told us he was.

This movie was not part of George Lucas' "vision", even though he had originally envisioned three trilogies in all. This was not what that third trilogy was supposed to be. Once again, Abrams has shown his disrespect of the already-existing lore and went totally "off-canon", making all the work done by various authors after SW:VI practically moot.
  4. Standard memberSeitse
    Doug Stanhope
    That's Why I Drink
    Moves
    11 Apr '16 21:21
    I'm very happy that you're a smart lass surrounded by valiant knights in
    impeccable armors, mounted on galant black horses and with their
    flaming swords pointing to the sky, ready to defend your Force
    Awakens virginity from a horrific hunchback wandering around a
    desolated cathedral spoiling films to whomever dares into his realm.

TL;DR Can you summarize your opinion in one sentence, please?
  5. Madison Square Garde
    Moves
    11 Apr '16 22:30
    what movies are you looking at? Forest is a trophy actor all day long
  6. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    12 Apr '16 11:15
    Originally posted by YEAH BOY
    what movies are you looking at? Forest is a trophy actor all day long
    Agreed. He belongs on a dusty shelf, or in the back of a cupboard.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree