1. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    28 Nov '15 09:34
    Originally posted by FMF
    The breathtaking technical brilliance of Saving Private Ryan ~ along with some well observed and portrayed moments ~ almost disguised the fact that it was pretty much a 1950's style Hollywood movie and little more.
    I thought it was actually much more. This is no "John Wayne" war movie.

The two scenes that grabbed me, and really showcased some of the horror of war, were 1) on the beach, when another soldier came up to them and sat with them and took off his helmet and was immediately shot in the head and killed, seemingly semi-randomly, by a sniper, and 2) the scene where they were searching buildings for enemy and one guy was caught and held by the German soldier while the German soldier slowly pushed a bayonet into him, killing him. '50s Hollywood war movies didn't really show scenes like these, making war 'personal', they were mostly 'squad-action' type scenes.
  2. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    28 Nov '15 09:56
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    I thought it was actually much more. This is no "John Wayne" war movie.

The two scenes that grabbed me, and really showcased some of the horror of war, were 1) on the beach, when another soldier came up to them and sat with them and took off his helmet and was immediately shot in the head and killed, seemingly semi-randomly, by a sniper, and 2) the scen ...[text shortened]... ally show scenes like these, making war 'personal', they were mostly 'squad-action' type scenes.
    Yes there were some gory scenes in Saving Private Ryan and the scene on the beach wasn't technically possible in the 1950s. Taken as a whole though, I thought the sentimentality that runs through the film's veins was vintage '50s. The brutality of the depiction of the Omaha Beach assault, for example, disguised this in a dazzling 'Wow, now this is the real thing!' kind of way.

I think as a study on war, the later Band Of Brothers TV series was far superior, and as films go, the one I mentioned that was made by Terrence Malick contained a more relentless ~ and most un-50s-like ~ commitment to psychological and philosophical truth, to my way of thinking at least.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree