General Forum

General Forum

1. SubscriberFMF
    Main Poster
    This Thread
    Moves
    25 Jan '16 08:18
    What do you think ~ any moral considerations? ~ about someone selling or publishing love letters from a still living famous ex-lover?
  2. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    25 Jan '16 13:18
    Originally posted by FMF
    What do you think ~ any moral considerations? ~ about someone selling or publishing love letters from a still living famous ex-lover?
    Yes, I do have moral considerations. Love letters are deeply personal (or at least should be). It is a breach of confidence to publish them. Reagrdless if the Person who has written the letters is still living or not.
  3. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    A Spirited Misfit
    in London
    Moves
    25 Jan '16 13:20
    Originally posted by Ponderable
    Yes, I do have moral considerations. Love letters are deeply personal (or at least should be). It is a breach of confidence to publish them. Reagrdless if the Person who has written the letters is still living or not.
    Okay dude, I won't publish 'the' letters.
  4. Standard memberSeitse
    Doug Stanhope
    That's Why I Drink
    Moves
    25 Jan '16 13:24
    Reminds me of the film "Her". I really liked it.
  5. Standard memberJerryH
    Hyperbole Happy
    Moves
    25 Jan '16 13:42
    Originally posted by Ponderable
    With non consensual publishing, I agree they should be kept private. At the very least they should be private until two greats separate the author and affection from the world. Greats as in these are my great great grand father's love letters. If the world is still interested after, then they are worth publishing. Otherwise they never were.
  6. SubscriberFMF
    Main Poster
    This Thread
    Moves
    25 Jan '16 13:50
    Two issues that are pertinent:

Do the letters belong wholly to the recipient? Does this ownership apply to the physical objects (paper and envelopes) or does it also apply to the words, and ideas expressed by the writer?

Without an explicit confidentiality agreement, is there any redress possible for the party that feels their confidentiality [or even their intellectual property rights?] have been breached?
  7. Standard memberJerryH
    Hyperbole Happy
    Moves
    25 Jan '16 14:14
    Originally posted by FMF
    Two issues that are pertinent:

Do the letters belong wholly to the recipient? Does this ownership apply to the physical objects (paper and envelopes) or does it also apply to the words, and ideas expressed by the writer?

Without an explicit confidentiality agreement, is there any redress possible for the party that feels their confidentiality [or even their intellectual property rights?] have been breached?
    Legally? I know how I'd have it.

The letters would be treated as if authored by both parties in agreement not to disclose. Accepting the letters in love, should be an explicit confidentiality agreement.
  8. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    26 Jan '16 07:33
    Every love letter I've ever gotten has been burned long ago.

Not sure about ones I've penned, but I suspect they've suffered a similar fate.
  9. SubscriberFMF
    Main Poster
    This Thread
    Moves
    26 Jan '16 07:43
    Originally posted by Suzianne

What about a person selling love letters from a famous ex-lover who is still alive? Any thoughts?
  10. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    26 Jan '16 08:118 edits
    First postal letter I ever wrote was in the 4th Grade (as part of an English Class assignment) to a Pen Pal in Iowa named Patricia. She replied and we continued a Puppy Love Friendship for over a year. Her last few when we were saying our good byes were lightly perfumed. I treasured and saved all of her letters in a box placed with care beneath a few sweaters in my bureau bottom drawer for four or five years.

Amazing how the memory of this long ago geographically distant event is still so vivid. Reveal Hidden Content
    "Dear Patricia, I'm wondering where you are tonight and hope you and your family are okay...." Love, Bobby

Footnote: This boyhood memory was captured in a poem decades later:Thread 121177 (Page two)
  11. Standard memberSeitse
    Doug Stanhope
    That's Why I Drink
    Moves
    26 Jan '16 08:13
    Did you troll Patricia into madness? What about her personal information?
  12. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    26 Jan '16 08:55
    Originally posted by FMF
    What about a person selling love letters from a famous ex-lover who is still alive? Any thoughts?
    I imagine that the writer of such letters gives up their right to them when they are delivered.

I would not begrudge someone's right to divulge love letters they have received. They belong to the recipient. That being said, selling your love letters just because you can get more for them because they were from someone famous, is rather gauche and not a 'cool move' at all.
  13. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Mr. Wolf
    at home
    Moves
    26 Jan '16 10:09
    Originally posted by FMF
    I believe the sender should have copyright.
  14. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Mr. Wolf
    at home
    Moves
    26 Jan '16 10:11
    Originally posted by Suzianne

Love letters I have sent are so eloquent and beautiful that
    they must still survive in suitcases and boxes across the globe.

The trash I received back have all been binned.
  15. Joined
    14 Mar '04
    Moves
    26 Jan '16 14:53
    Why would somebody want to do that in the first place? They are like, "what happens in Vegas, stays in Vegas" kind of things meant only for the two people involved.