1. Los Angeles
    Moves
    28 Jun '16 05:16
    I love Red Hot Pawn and am curious about memory. When I studied Psychology in college, there was a lot of discussion about short term vs long term memory, specifically in encoding for long term and the limitations of short term. I find it interesting that I can be playing 60 games simultaneously with about 45 active and I arrive at each chessboard and say, " Ah ha, this one." So did I commit that to long term, because I doubt I'll remember it next week (I'll get a lot of challenges off that statement.)
  2. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    28 Jun '16 06:31
    Originally posted by Jerrard
    I love Red Hot Pawn and am curious about memory. When I studied Psychology in college, there was a lot of discussion about short term vs long term memory, specifically in encoding for long term and the limitations of short term. I find it interesting that I can be playing 60 games simultaneously with about 45 active and I arrive at each chessboard and say, " ...[text shortened]... m, because I doubt I'll remember it next week (I'll get a lot of challenges off that statement.)
    You can remember studying psychology in college? πŸ˜‰

We never really forget anything. We just don't always remember.
  3. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    28 Jun '16 06:35
    Originally posted by josephw
    You can remember studying psychology in college? πŸ˜‰

We never really forget anything. We just don't always remember.
    College? Wozzat??
  4. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    28 Jun '16 07:451 edit
    I love Red Hot Pawn and am curious about memory. When I studied Psychology in college, there was a lot of discussion about short term vs long term memory, specifically in encoding for long term and the limitations of short term. I find it interesting that I can be playing 60 games simultaneously with about 45 active and I arrive at each chessboard and say, " ...[text shortened]... m, because I doubt I'll remember it next week (I'll get a lot of challenges off that statement.)
    So if you indeed studied memory, you'd know that no, this is still short-term memory.

One skill to improve short-term memory is chess, especially multiple games of correspondence chess and also blindfolded chess.. Knowing how to play chess is long-term memory.
  5. Standard memberSeitse
    Doug Stanhope
    That's Why I Drink
    Moves
    28 Jun '16 07:50
    Same goes for hanky panky. You can go at it like a chimp in heat but to learn how to do it well is a whole different ballgame.
  6. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    28 Jun '16 08:28
    Originally posted by Seitse
    Same goes for hanky panky. You can go at it like a chimp in heat but to learn how to do it well is a whole different ballgame.
    Is the image of a chimp in heat seared into your memory?
  7. Standard memberSeitse
    Doug Stanhope
    That's Why I Drink
    Moves
    28 Jun '16 08:38
    Is the image of a chimp in heat seared into your memory?
    Like a hot iron on butter πŸ™
  8. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    28 Jun '16 08:42
    Like a hot iron on butter πŸ™
    Fix it.
  9. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    28 Jun '16 10:13
    Fix it.
    You mean like make sure there is enough nitrogen?
  10. The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    28 Jun '16 10:51
    Apparently you have to repeat something 24 times for it to move from short to long term memory.

If you find this advice useful and want to retain it,......repeat it 24 times.
  11. SubscriberDrewnogal
    Constant Gardener
    The Plot
    Moves
    28 Jun '16 11:29
    Originally posted by Ghost of a Duke
    Apparently you have to repeat something 24 times for it to move from short to long term memory.

If you find this advice useful and want to retain it,......repeat it 24 times.
    I always remember my national insurance number from when I signed on at the dole office for a short period after leaving school at 16.

Now, there have been moments when I have completely forgotten my work computer username and my bank account PIN numbers . An IT technician asked me what my username was over the phone last week. I told him that I would have to write it down before I told him somehow knowing that I would momentarily forget it if I just tried to remember it without tapping it in on the computer keyboard. I have also forgotten debit/ credit pin numbers momentarily when I have suddenly been struck by a fear of forgetting one at a till.

Is anyone here, over the age of 50, capable of remembering the words to a new song that they like?
  12. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    28 Jun '16 13:16
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    You mean like make sure there is enough nitrogen?
    No. Like having your mind renewed.
  13. Standard memberSeitse
    Doug Stanhope
    That's Why I Drink
    Moves
    28 Jun '16 13:35
    No. Like having your mind renewed.
    All that needs renewal is the heart. Mind will follow.
  14. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    28 Jun '16 14:39
    All that needs renewal is the heart. Mind will follow.
    I think the heart and mind are one and the same. The difference between the two has more to do with context and application.

The "mind" is in relation to one's thought life. The "heart" is in relation to one's spiritual life. But the both are inseparable.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree