General Forum

General Forum

  1. Joined
    10 Nov '12
    Moves
    6889
    20 Jan '15 11:54
    Predictions?
  2. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Joined
    22 Apr '05
    Moves
    525906
    20 Jan '15 13:331 edit
    Originally posted by NoEarthlyReason
    Predictions?
    I would need to know some detail first...
  3. Joined
    10 Nov '12
    Moves
    6889
    20 Jan '15 13:341 edit
    Originally posted by Ponderable
    I would need to know some detail first...
    Plenty of insight here:

    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/
    http://www.rbs6nations.com/en/home.php
  4. Joined
    14 Mar '04
    Moves
    97073
    20 Jan '15 13:37
    There is a Native American peoples reserve (Six Nations) near here where, yearly, they host a big lacrosse tournament. I see that this was not what you were referring to.
  5. Joined
    10 Nov '12
    Moves
    6889
    20 Jan '15 13:44
    Originally posted by Great Big Stees
    There is a Native American peoples reserve (Six Nations) near here where, yearly, they host a big lacrosse tournament. I see that this was not what you were referring to.
    No, but that sounds interesting. I only know of lacrosse from reading my sister's Malory Towers books when I was a kid, but it's quite a big sport over in Canada, isn't it? Does it have Aboriginal Canadian origins?
  6. Standard memberredbadger
    Suzzie says Badger
    is Racist Bastard
    Joined
    09 Jun '14
    Moves
    10079
    20 Jan '15 14:13
    Originally posted by NoEarthlyReason
    Predictions?
    England/wales/france/Ireland/Scotland/Italy one of them will win the rest wont
  7. Joined
    14 Mar '04
    Moves
    97073
    20 Jan '15 14:391 edit
    Originally posted by NoEarthlyReason
    No, but that sounds interesting. I only know of lacrosse from reading my sister's Malory Towers books when I was a kid, but it's quite a big sport over in Canada, isn't it? Does it have Aboriginal Canadian origins?
    Yes and as to it's popularity...it is played professionally in several cities along with a number of amateur associations too. The popularity ebbs and flows. I played for a while but took it up late and along with hockey, which I played for decades, it took it's toll on my body. Now I stick with the less physically "pounding" sports like golf and cross country skiing with "some" downhill.
  8. wherever I am needed
    Joined
    13 Dec '12
    Moves
    40201
    20 Jan '15 15:591 edit
    Originally posted by redbadger
    England/wales/france/Ireland/Scotland/Italy one of them will win the rest wont
    Hi Badge
    Betcha a shiny 10 pound note that neither the Jocks or our Italian friends win.
    Give you 5-1
  9. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    10313
    20 Jan '15 16:09
    Originally posted by st dominics preview
    Hi Badge
    Betcha a shiny 10 pound note that neither the Jocks or our Italian friends win.
    Give you 2-1
    Only 2-1?

    Ireland have England and France at home, might be key.
  10. wherever I am needed
    Joined
    13 Dec '12
    Moves
    40201
    20 Jan '15 16:12
    Originally posted by Trev33
    Only 2-1?

    Ireland have England and France at home, might be key.
    yes ~ as you can see, I rethought my odds! 5-1 seems generous if, as in Badger's post, he seems to insinuate (I think) that they all have same chance. Thus, 5-1 on any ONE would be fair. 5-1 on two selections (albeit no hopers) generous?

    From the other 4, too close to call. One hopes that they each have 2 home, 2 away vs each other. If pushed, has to be England.
  11. Account suspended
    Joined
    26 Aug '07
    Moves
    38239
    20 Jan '15 16:16
    Originally posted by st dominics preview
    Hi Badge
    Betcha a shiny 10 pound note that neither the Jocks or our Italian friends win.
    Give you 5-1
    France will give you a spanking just cause they can. So will we, just cause you dissed us.
  12. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    10313
    20 Jan '15 16:26
    Originally posted by st dominics preview
    yes ~ as you can see, I rethought my odds! 5-1 seems generous if, as in Badger's post, he seems to insinuate (I think) that they all have same chance. Thus, 5-1 on any ONE would be fair. 5-1 on two selections (albeit no hopers) generous?

    From the other 4, too close to call. One hopes that they each have 2 home, 2 away vs each other. If pushed, has to be England.
    Even 5-1 is a bit short for Italy or Scotland. I'd happily give 20-1 and feel I wasn't being generous enough.

    They swap the fixtures year after year... so last year Ireland were away to England and France and home to the rest. This was the fixture list the year Ireland won the slam (I'm Irish btw) and have the stronger team than last year.

    4 wins and the best points difference will probably win it though.
  13. wherever I am needed
    Joined
    13 Dec '12
    Moves
    40201
    20 Jan '15 16:33
    Originally posted by Trev33
    Even 5-1 is a bit short for Italy or Scotland. I'd happily give 20-1 and feel I wasn't being generous enough.

    They swap the fixtures year after year... so last year Ireland were away to England and France and home to the rest. This was the fixture list the year Ireland won the slam (I'm Irish btw) and have the stronger team than last year.

    4 wins and the best points difference will probably win it though.
    problem with Ireland is their best players (O'Driscoll ~ now gone, O'Connell, Best etc) are a year older, and their replacements aren't (yet) good enough,

    If Robbie means Scotland will beat England...that will win you a tidy sum if you want to put a bet on at scratch!
  14. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    10313
    20 Jan '15 16:40
    Originally posted by st dominics preview
    problem with Ireland is their best players (O'Driscoll ~ now gone, O'Connell, Best etc) are a year older, and their replacements aren't (yet) good enough,

    If Robbie means Scotland will beat England...that will win you a tidy sum if you want to put a bet on at scratch!
    True, a few of them are holding off retirement until after the world cup. We finally have a good coach now and weren't fancied last year with a lot of injuries but got the job done. If a little luckily.

    England are looking strong though, probably player for player the best team but they were last year as well so we'll see. Wales don't look at strong as recent years and France? You're guess is as good as mine.
  15. wherever I am needed
    Joined
    13 Dec '12
    Moves
    40201
    20 Jan '15 17:21
    Originally posted by Trev33
    True, a few of them are holding off retirement until after the world cup. We finally have a good coach now and weren't fancied last year with a lot of injuries but got the job done. If a little luckily.

    England are looking strong though, probably player for player the best team but they were last year as well so we'll see. Wales don't look at strong as recent years and France? You're guess is as good as mine.
    that sums it up perfectly. England undoubtedly the best players/squad, at least 2 strong players in each position (how can he even think of not involving Cipriani!)
    But not a great deal between the 4 best teams and, as you say, home games essential to win
Back to Top