General Forum

General Forum

  1. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Joined
    14 Jul '07
    Moves
    43012
    04 Oct '13 06:342 edits
    Sleep Log

    Started keeping one this past June after reading an article about the absolute importance of getting at least 7-8 Hours each 24-Hour Period. Failure to do so can cause adverse affects to various body organs, including the heart. Also, insufficient sleep causes one part of the brain to become confused about hunger. It sends wrong messages to another part of the brain, which causes cravings for junk food (which may cause obesity in otherwise healthy people). Mine is kept daily from midnight to midnight, since I sleep several 2-4 Hour intervals which total about 7.0 Hours/every 24. Point is the log has caused me to take the body's need seriously. Presently, it shows a surplus balance of [+1 Hour] which I'm saving for a rainy day. lol

    Ever keep a similar log?
  2. Joined
    14 Mar '04
    Moves
    97143
    04 Oct '13 12:03
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    [b]Sleep Log

    Started keeping one this past June after reading an article about the absolute importance of getting at least 7-8 Hours each 24-Hour Period. Failure to do so can cause adverse affects to various body organs, including the heart. Also, insufficient sleep causes one part of the brain to become confused about hunger. It sends wrong mess ...[text shortened]... a surplus balance of [+1 Hour] which I'm saving for a rainy day. lol

    Ever keep a similar log?[/b]
    Your "sleep" schedule seems an odd way (to me) to get your 7-8 hours.
  3. Joined
    10 May '07
    Moves
    10128
    04 Oct '13 12:11
    I have learnt that we don't need that many hours of sleep at our age.
  4. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Joined
    14 Jul '07
    Moves
    43012
    04 Oct '13 12:30
    Originally posted by Great Big Stees
    Your "sleep" schedule seems an odd way (to me) to get your 7-8 hours.
    Discomfort from Post Paralysis Neuropathy is alleviated most effectively by elevating the legs. However, after several hours (just awoke after 4.25 hours) they require movement by walking and stretching to increase circulation. Before this time in 2010, uninterrupted 7-8 Hours non-stop flights to breakfast were routine. As with most anything else, human beings readily adapt. At least there's no longer frequent night shift nurse visits to update charts, an uncomfortable catheter or bland institutional food. You're right, Steve. It's 'odd' but from first hand observation know that many other men and woman have it far worse without prospect of recovery. Thanks for christening the thread. Do you get a solid 8 Hours each night? -Bob
  5. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Joined
    14 Jul '07
    Moves
    43012
    04 Oct '13 12:32
    Originally posted by lolof
    I have learnt that we don't need that many hours of sleep at our age.
    Hi, lolof. How many hours do you sleep each night on average?
  6. Joined
    10 May '07
    Moves
    10128
    04 Oct '13 12:343 edits
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    Hi, lolof. How many hours do you sleep each night on average?
    I usually have 7-8 hours of uninterrupted sleep most nights if I don't have too much on my mind, but among my friends that is unusual.
  7. Joined
    23 Nov '11
    Moves
    22736
    04 Oct '13 13:16
    I get about 8 hours of solid sleep every night. However, every week I do 2 hours of yoga, 3 hours of aerobics, 6 to 7 hours of walking and another 3 to 4 hours of biking, paddling, swimming or skiing. That's at least 14 hours a week of vigorous exercise. Two days ago I swam in the lake without a wetsuit. I have no problem falling asleep and waking up very refreshed and feeling very limber. I'm not frightened of death but scared to death by the ailments of old age that will come should I be fortunate enough to live beyond 100, my goal.
  8. Joined
    14 Mar '04
    Moves
    97143
    04 Oct '13 13:44
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    Discomfort from Post Paralysis Neuropathy is alleviated most effectively by elevating the legs. However, after several hours (just awoke after 4.25 hours) they require movement by walking and stretching to increase circulation. Before this time in 2010, uninterrupted 7-8 Hours non-stop flights to breakfast were routine. As with most anything else, human ...[text shortened]... pect of recovery. Thanks for christening the thread. Do you get a solid 8 Hours each night? -Bob
    Nah. Maybe 6 (broken up every 3 hours) if I'm really lucky but I, like you, have a medical issue that makes a long sleeptime unattainable but hey we're both on the right side of the dirt right?😉
  9. Standard memberChessPraxis
    Cowboy From Hell
    American West
    Joined
    19 Apr '10
    Moves
    55013
    04 Oct '13 18:35
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    [b]Sleep Log

    Started keeping one this past June after reading an article about the absolute importance of getting at least 7-8 Hours each 24-Hour Period. Failure to do so can cause adverse affects to various body organs, including the heart. Also, insufficient sleep causes one part of the brain to become confused about hunger. It sends wrong mess ...[text shortened]... a surplus balance of [+1 Hour] which I'm saving for a rainy day. lol

    Ever keep a similar log?[/b]
    I sleep like a log, is that close enough? 😛
  10. Standard memberChessPraxis
    Cowboy From Hell
    American West
    Joined
    19 Apr '10
    Moves
    55013
    04 Oct '13 18:38
    It's numbers Bobby, you should get this. Certain numbers have significance in esoteric philosophies and religions. 🙂
    24 hours per day, 8 for work, 8 for service to God, family and your brother, and 8 for sleep.
  11. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Joined
    14 Jul '07
    Moves
    43012
    04 Oct '13 21:38
    Originally posted by lolof
    I usually have 7-8 hours of uninterrupted sleep most nights if I don't have too much on my mind, but among my friends that is unusual.
    In Sweden seasonal change differs from ours. Does absence of sunlight for many hours interfere with your sleep routines?
  12. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Joined
    14 Jul '07
    Moves
    43012
    04 Oct '13 21:41
    Originally posted by Phranny
    I get about 8 hours of solid sleep every night. However, every week I do 2 hours of yoga, 3 hours of aerobics, 6 to 7 hours of walking and another 3 to 4 hours of biking, paddling, swimming or skiing. That's at least 14 hours a week of vigorous exercise. Two days ago I swam in the lake without a wetsuit. I have no problem falling asleep and waking up ver ...[text shortened]... the ailments of old age that will come should I be fortunate enough to live beyond 100, my goal.
    Incredible physical exercise regimen, Phranny. Does your ancestral line enjoy robust health and longevity?
  13. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Joined
    14 Jul '07
    Moves
    43012
    04 Oct '13 21:45
    Originally posted by ChessPraxis
    I sleep like a log, is that close enough? 😛
    Sure as long as you snoring's not too loud.
  14. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Joined
    14 Jul '07
    Moves
    43012
    04 Oct '13 21:51
    Originally posted by ChessPraxis
    It's numbers Bobby, you should get this. Certain numbers have significance in esoteric philosophies and religions. 🙂
    24 hours per day, 8 for work, 8 for service to God, family and your brother, and 8 for sleep.
    "24 hours per day, 8 for work, 8 for service to God, family and your brother, and 8 for sleep."

    Sounds about right.Reveal Hidden Content
    One Question: Where do Facebook, online correspondence chess game and public forum sites fit within the scheme?
  15. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Joined
    14 Jul '07
    Moves
    43012
    04 Oct '13 23:06
    Originally posted by Great Big Stees
    Nah. Maybe 6 (broken up every 3 hours) if I'm really lucky but I, like you, have a medical issue that makes a long sleeptime unattainable but hey we're both on the right side of the dirt right?😉
    Yes, Sir. 6' Up rather than 6' Down (except cremation's far less pagan than
    open casket ceremonies, since our bodies are tents, temporary abodes).
Back to Top